Sirihawi

Writing a Resume when you have been out of the workforce 10 years

Sirihawi

So its time I can go back to work!! How do you write a resume when you have been out of the workforce so long? I have great work experience before kids, but its so long ago and how do I fill the void with the right words?!

• Like 1

chillipeppers

Following

Agnetha

Don’t under estimate the skills you’ve built up at home.

Managing budget

Time management

Any volunteering at school

Women tend to think we don’t have transferable skills but you’d be surprised at the skills we have in ‘logistcs’ , organising meals , timetables , who need to where and when.

Talk yourself up. And good luck.

• Like 1

JoanFontaine

Don’t under estimate the skills you’ve built up at home.

Managing budget

Time management

Any volunteering at school

Women tend to think we don’t have transferable skills but you’d be surprised at the skills we have in ‘logistcs’ , organising meals , timetables , who need to where and when.

Talk yourself up. And good luck.

How would you present this on a resume? Also many of those skills are utilised by those who work outside the home. I mean, organising meals?

• Like 2

JustBeige

What line of work are you looking at OP?

• Like 1

lizzzard

It really depends on what kind of work you are looking for! If you're a lawyer and are looking for a job as a lawyer, I'm afraid the organisational skills you'd developed in the last 10 years on't count for much. But if you are looking for a role as an activities coordinator in a care facility (just an example) then it might.

One of the subjects I studied at uni was research into what CV 'features' are most likely to get an interview. One was starting off with 'key capabilities', and a sentence or two on how you developed them. Tailor the skills you choose to highlight to the job you are applying for. This would work well in your case.

• Like 1

Pooks_

I spelled out the period of time I was caring for kids because it helped my resume make more sense, otherwise it looked very odd indeed.

If you haven't got many current contacts or recent experiences, depending on the field you want to get into, now might be the time to start building that up.

Some volunteer work, a first aid qualification, a bit of strategic study. It helps your resume show that you're ready to get back in the game, and it helps you build up your confidence and references.