Busylittlebee

Terry nappies

Busylittlebee

Any other mums using terries ?

I have 3 under 5s and now using them full time but sometimes wonder if I'm the only mum still doing old school. None of my friends use them and I get a lot of comments (mostly positive) if I change one while we are out.

Looks like us terry users are a dying breed :no:

SoLongMarianne

I use MCN. Always very positively received when we are out and about, but I am the only one of my friends to use them. Hopefully as awareness about plastic pollution grows, the use of MCN and terries will rise.

• Like 1

Sancti-claws

I used Terry Flats with both of mine - they got very hard to find second go around, and the handy stretchy-y clasps were darn near impossible!

Good on you and good luck.

• Like 1

Busylittlebee

I used Terry Flats with both of mine - they got very hard to find second go around, and the handy stretchy-y clasps were darn near impossible!

Good on you and good luck.

I found those stretchy snappi things useless too, they may be ok on a small baby but not very secure on an active toddler.

I much prefer nappy pins.

PrincessPeach

I use MCN's, my origami skills are hopeless, so terry flats are reserved for emergency occasions only - I just can't get the hang of folding them despite watching multiple YouTube videos.

My SIL uses terry flats almost full time though. I do see the appeal - they dry quick, are super thirsty & are seriously hard to kill.

• Like 1

IamtheMumma

I used MCN. I tried terry flats but they ended up being used as spill rags. So versatile.

• Like 1

atthebeach

was some years ago but i used terry flats on both my kids and loved them. muslins too for the first few months. so easy to wash and hang out on the line afterwards too.

Seven of Nine

I used a combination of MCN and terry flats. I found MCNs easier to use when out and about and tended to only use the flats at home.

Silver Girl

I used terry flats on my newborns, then MCNs. I was the only one in my mothers’ group using cloth. I also use cloth wipes.

I’ve cut up some of the terry flats into squares as cleaning cloths and nappy wipes. The flats are also great at the park to wipe down wet slides etc after rain.

• Like 1

PocketIcikleflakes

I used mcns with my first and they were awesome. I couldn't get them to work with my second, no matter which ones I tried they leaked. She always did huge wees.

Just so you know if your can't pass on your mcn lingers after you're done with babies they make amazing polishing clothes.

Sancti-claws

I found those stretchy snappi things useless too, they may be ok on a small baby but not very secure on an active toddler.

I much prefer nappy pins.

They weren't as useless 18 years ago - second go around 8 years ago they were definitely not as effective.

I had a few MCNs but found they took forever to dry.

• Like 1

Busylittlebee

They weren't as useless 18 years ago - second go around 8 years ago they were definitely not as effective.

I never use the snappis now, I think I must be the only mum still doing nappy pins :yes:

I'm not a facebook user (I've never quite understood it) but did think of trying to set up a just terries group if there was enough interest ?

Busylittlebee

I've decided to move into the 21st century by creating a Facebook account and creating a terry mums group to try and offer advice and support for any mums using or thinking of using traditional terry squares.

Please feel free to join in :-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/645181472502522/

• Like 3

Sancti-claws

All the best - mine are long out of nappies else I would join.

• Like 1

Busylittlebee

All the best - mine are long out of nappies else I would join.

I haven't a clue how to run a fb group but I'm sure if a few join in we can muddle through together.

Rhoxie

I used terry flats with my kids and a mix of mcn and terries with the last. ( now 20, 18, 14). I used the fluffy nappy pants as the covers what do you use over them now ? Fluffy pants and plastic pants don't seem to exist anymore.

Rhoxie

Side note : dropping the snappi nappy fastener on the floor and treading on it in the middle of a night change is a sure way of making certain that the baby falls asleep again before you!

• Like 1

IamtheMumma

I used terry flats with my kids and a mix of mcn and terries with the last. ( now 20, 18, 14). I used the fluffy nappy pants as the covers what do you use over them now ? Fluffy pants and plastic pants don't seem to exist anymore.

Fluffy pants appear ever so often but yes not common like days of old. Now its either wool covers or PUL covers.

cvbn

I loved plastic pants but you can't buy them now. :(

Sancti-claws

I used to use the plastic velcro covers? Honestly, they were more effective in keeping the whole operation together than anything!!

EsmeLennox

I used a mix of terry flats and MCNs.

Terry flats always at home, MCNs when out and about...they were just a bit easier with changing. Nappy pins FTW. I could never get the stretchy clasps to work.

ritten

We used flats and prefolds or fitteds at home and other MCN out and about.

I loved snappis.I used to use pins at work (back in the dark ages when daycare supplied the cloth nappies) and was always stabbing myself.

My husband somehow managed to slice his hand on a snappy and never used one again after that. So he stuck to fitteds or pins.

Edited by ritten

Silver Girl

Great idea to start up the Facebook page.

I've just cleaned out some cupboards and found a stack of used pilchers (Velcro fasteners). They are mostly size 1s. If anyone would like them (free), let me know. I'll be throwing them out in a week if there are no takers.

PrincessPeach

I think there is a Facebook page (well there used to be one), it was called old school cloth nappies for modern mummies