Caribou

1year on, still no period.

Caribou

I’ve been BFing my DS for one year now, but we also mix feed due to messed up supply (I’m still blaming hospital for this,) anyway, OB said to me at my 6week check to expect period back within 3 months due to mix feeding. Well we’re a year into it and though his feeds have gone from hourly-two hours to every 4-6 hours now, I STILL haven’t got my period back.

I know. I know. Rejoice in this! :lol: but I spend half my time out worrying it -might- just rock up at the worst time. Though to it’s credit, I did expect it to rock up mid-international flight and it didn’t at all! So I’m enternally grateful there.

Has anyone who’s only breastfeeding 4-5 times a day get their period back or even mix feed?

• Like 1

Babetty

I started mix feeding at 4 months, had slowly dropped down to 1 BF by about 7 months and stopped completely at 9 months.

Period arrived exactly 4 weeks after the very final BF, with the worst PMS I have ever had!

Dani_R

Yep, we mix fed my daughter from birth due to my low supply and my period came back around 13-14 months post partum. I stopped breastfeeding around 14 months too but can't remember which came first now! I think the period?

Bethlehem Babe

My friend had no period even with only one feed a day. Some people are just lucky.

• Like 3

Caribou

Oh thanks! I feel a bit better knowing it’s not just me it’s happeninng to! Good to know even with mix feeding period may not come back until finished breeastfeeding

I do dread this first day of period though. I keep thinking the longer it takes the worse it’s goung to be!

daisy007

I mix fed from birth too and didn’t get my period back until 18 months later when I completely stopped breastfeeding, jeez it was great!

Mine wasn’t actually too bad, I had heard the first one can be really bad but I was lucky and it was just like a normal one for me.

• Like 1

Babetty

Do make sure you have naprogesic or whatever works for you on hand. We were visiting my parents and I had to send DH out to buy some - once I realised what was going on! I thought I had gastro!

lalalove

There doesn't appear to be any 'standard' in this area....I got my period at eight months with both kids despite breastfeeding them both for 13 months.

• Like 2

Caribou

Do make sure you have naprogesic or whatever works for you on hand. We were visiting my parents and I had to send DH out to buy some - once I realised what was going on! I thought I had gastro!

Thought you couldn’t have that stuff BFing, something to do with drying up milk? But thank you, you make a good point. If still BFing I’ll make sure I have got the strongest panadol on hand!

Edited by Caribou

Carf79

My three were all breastfed exclusively but period did not return until I had completely weaned. Even when I was down to 1-2 feeds a day and the kids were all aged between 12-16 months, there was no period. It was great! But I understand the waiting around and worrying for it to return..

Jenflea

A friend of mine goes 3 years without a period between each baby. Only gets it back when she fully weans and they're ready for the next baby.

CrankyM

I mix fed my youngest until 15 months or so. From what I remember I don't think my period came back until I fully weaned and then it was about 4-6 weeks later.

That was similar to my older child. I pumped for him (he wouldn't BF and I had terrible supply) until about 5 months, it came back at about 7 months. I was pregnant again 3 months later.

*TikkaB* Tinseltop

I exclusively breast fed for the first six months, my period returned three months after birth. :no2:

• Like 2

Veritas Vinum Arte

Don't forget to use contraception (if you don't want a baby right now)..... as you ovulate before you get your period.

My SIL had her first then no period before having her second at 14m Post Partum. She was exclusively breastfeeding at the time.

lucky 2

I exclusively bf my dd and my period returned at 7 weeks post birth, I got a full week of no discharge, yay!

No rhyme or reason, so varied.

Babetty

Thought you couldn’t have that stuff BFing, something to do with drying up milk? But thank you, you make a good point. If still BFing I’ll make sure I have got the strongest panadol on hand!

Sorry, not sure about that - I'd stopped bf 4 weeks earlier! Maybe buscopan for cramps? Not sure if that is ok with bf either

Future-self

DS my period returned at 16months, he was still breastfeeding about 5 times a day. DD was about 13 months and she was still feeding HEAPS - including overnight. It varies so much.

I have to say though that my periods post children are so much better than they were pain wise and even flow wise. Lighter and much MUCH less painful than they were. There’s no reason why the first one will be awful just because you’ve had a great break. I also found that because I was much more in tune with my body after TTC I noticed ovulation signs too - discharge and twinges and I wa right.

Caribou

DS my period returned at 16months, he was still breastfeeding about 5 times a day. DD was about 13 months and she was still feeding HEAPS - including overnight. It varies so much.

I have to say though that my periods post children are so much better than they were pain wise and even flow wise. Lighter and much MUCH less painful than they were. There’s no reason why the first one will be awful just because you’ve had a great break. I also found that because I was much more in tune with my body after TTC I noticed ovulation signs too - discharge and twinges and I wa right.

I get the ovulation signs and I’ve been marking them in my app, but still no period. That or ice confused my signs! Which is why I feel on edge feeling like my period is is coming

Soontobegran

I get the ovulation signs and I’ve been marking them in my app, but still no period. That or ice confused my signs! Which is why I feel on edge feeling like my period is is coming

If you are not getting your period you are probably not ovulating. You can get a period without ovulating but not ovulate without a period unless of course you get pregnant with that first ovulation ( which was me x 3 )

It might pay to have a chat to your doctor if you are experiencing abdo pain, he/she may want to do a scan.

Hopefully it is just you getting back to your fertile self.

Ranga1980

There doesn't appear to be any 'standard' in this area....I got my period at eight months with both kids despite breastfeeding them both for 13 months.

Did getting your period while still BF affect your supply at all?

rowd

It took about 3 months after totally stopping feeding/pumping for my period to return. It's so different for everyone. I was willing mine back sooner as we wanted to TTC.

Sancti-claws

I agree - first one (full BF, solids from 6 months) was about 20 months, second (mixed feeding, solids from 5 months) 8 months.

Caribou

OP here,

My period turned up 2 weeks ago! Boooo! We’re still breast feeding,

It does indeed seem like there’s no standard on periods.

I was incredibly thankful it was not painful!

Lou-bags

Did getting your period while still BF affect your supply at all?

For me, no. It did delay my letdowns slightly, with my first, which he wasn’t happy about.

But I got my period back when he was 11mo and breastfed him until 27mo.

With DS2 I got my period back about 8 or 9mo I think, and he’s 21mo and still breastfeeding.

Lallalla

I agree, I got mine at 4 months with my first even though she was still fully breastfed at that point. With my twins it didn’t reappear until around 3-4 months after I had completely stopped breastfeeding them. I think it was my bodies way of enforcing a break from pregnancy/breast feeding as 2 at once took quite a toll on it. Not that I am planning on ever having more kids anyway.