Popper

Cleaning reusable straws

Popper

Hey EB. Can anyone share how they are cleaning reusable straws? Bottle teat cleaners are too short and wide. I don't want to go back to disposable straws!

Jenflea

You can buy special cleaning brushes for them.

I thought they all came with the brushes actually.

• Like 4

Future-self

In the dishwasher.

A quick rinse through straight after using them and then into the cutlery basket of the dishwasher. We;ve had our nearlya year and no problems or brush.

ETA If you want a brush now buy some pipe cleaners. They're not just for craft! Or order a special one like this https://www.biome.com.au/stainless-steel-straws/13491-ecococoon-straw-cleaner.html

Edited by Future-self
  • Like 1

mandelbrot

There's a reason why we regularly have tantrums over curly reuseable straws... kids are only ever allowed to have water with them, as I just can't get them properly clean!

• Like 2

seayork2002

We don't use them much but i rinse as soon as finished with then when I do a load of washing leave them in the water first wash everything while they are soaking and then rinse - I have never used a brush etc.

Lesley225

I'm only using them for soft drinks so a rinse through in hot water seems to work although I did buy a brush at the same time.

MarchyMama

We use metal ones and they came with a long cleaning brush - but they also go through the dishwasher. We have ten of them and they're great!

marple

Where can you buy the metal ones please?

ritten

I just use pipecleaners..the kids always seem to end up using any novelty cleaning brushes we get...these are much less exciting for them and work well. I use them for drink bottles as well.

• Like 1

purpleduck

Just the regular craft pipe cleaners. Make sure you dry them out well after so they don’t rust (the pipe cleaners)

hills mum bec

There's a reason why we regularly have tantrums over curly reuseable straws... kids are only ever allowed to have water with them, as I just can't get them properly clean!

I put one of the curly straws in the dishwasher once and it came out straight.

• Like 5

Popper

Thanks for the tips. We use for smoothies and the dishwasher is not doing the job (visible chunks)! I figured pipecleaners were counter productive to the cause but maybe that is the way to go! Will have to look into the straw which comes with a brush.

• Like 1

Contrebasse

On a side note, why do people use straws in the first place? Isn’t it less hassle to just drink straight out of the glass?

just roses

On a side note, why do people use straws in the first place? Isn’t it less hassle to just drink straight out of the glass?

I was just thinking the same thing!

Mooples

I bought straw cleaners off eBay to clean ds’ sippy cup straws when he has milk in them.

purpleduck

I have a water bottle that has a flip top thing and straw attaches on the inside, so reusable, but I'm also very blergh about mould etc, so I like to clean the straw very well :)

Overtherainbow

We have a flip cap that screws into our smoothie maker. It makes it easy to drink on the run. No straws required.

Manicmum

Lol, my kids are only allowed water in their drink bottles too.

• Like 1

JBH

If drinking something other than water, using a straw is better for your teeth, as they don’t get continually covered in the drink. And my children just like straws and I am trying to reduce our plastic waste.

• Like 1

kimasa

I either put in the dishwasher or I boil the kettle and pour it through before washing.

Ozquoll

Ozquoll

I found a pack of mixed size straw/bottle brushes at the local $2 shop, they work fine.

rosie28

Straw cleaners are sometimes sold with reusable straws. Or Biome has them, and I think I saw some in Kmart a few weeks ago.