Busylittlebee

Terry nappies

Busylittlebee

With a 3.5yo who is still nowhere near dry as a last resort I've decided to go back to nappies for a while :-(

I've only ever used disposables but in an effort to save money and try something different I've bought some terry nappies to use.

Can anyone recommend terry folds for a 3.5yo or even just any advice on using them ?

I'm intending to put them on later today but have no idea what to expect, I can see it being a challenge for a few days :-(

Thanks

Soontobegran

Terry nappies are not terribly big so I think it would be dependent on the size of your little one.

I had children in cloth nappies at that age because disposable were rare and expensive and I found after the age of 2.5 years the large flannelette nappies folded in a kite were more absorbent. For night I sometimes folded a terry to make an extra absorbency pad.

• Like 2

Busylittlebee

He is tall but slim, I'm looking on youtube and it seems the kite is the most popular so I'll try that while I look at other options.

I'm going to put one on for the first time at the next change, I'm hoping he'll keep still as he's never had a terry nappy on before.

• Like 2

Soontobegran

He is tall but slim, I'm looking on youtube and it seems the kite is the most popular so I'll try that while I look at other options.

I'm going to put one on for the first time at the next change, I'm hoping he'll keep still as he's never had a terry nappy on before.

Good luck.

• Like 1

cvbn

Try a double nappy, that is what I do, with a snappy nappy clip.

Busylittlebee

Do you mean 2 squares folded together ?

I only have nappy pins for now.

cvbn

Yes, lay two nappies flat and fold them as one.

Busylittlebee

Thanks I'll try that at next change, I've just put one on him as a kite fold and it took ages but it still looks a mess :-(

cvbn

I will try and explain mine...

I lay the nappy on its point, flat on the table, fold the top and bottom points to meet in the middle and then one side in so it is smooth at the top, then the other. The top is wider than the base.

Clear as mud?

I will see if I can find an image.

ETA see below.

Edited by cvbn

Busylittlebee

Thanks I'll try at next change, I've just bought these nappies so I intend to use them ;-)

tasbooks

I used the origami fold (aka Bat, Chinese, Butterfly) from birth to 3.5, pulling the pad bit further down. As he got bigger though, we needed to be really careful with the snappy placement and have a tight-ish PUL cover, to stop the snappy coming off.

https://themonarchmommy.com/2016/08/29/folding-flats-the-origami-fold/

If only for pee, can you just put a rectangular folded nappy in a tight cover - like a long pad?

• Like 1

Busylittlebee

I hadn't heard of the origami, I'll take look thanks :-)

Another mum has suggested using 2 terries at once for absorbency I'll try that next if he will keep still.

I'm not sure how bulky that will be but is worth a try.

Busylittlebee

I was pleasantly surprised how well the terries performed overnight, at 3.5yrs my son is a heavy wetter so he did have 2 nappies on, they were very wet but no leaks and they seemed to stay in place ok :-)

• Like 1