TheGreenSheep

Best face moisturizer for 40+ year old skin?

TheGreenSheep

EB can you recommend me a face moisturizer for over 40+ yo skin that is dry and ruddy, needs plumping and help with tone?

My skin is normal I think, not overly oily, I have break outs but they’re hormone and cycle related. I’m also completely lazy with doing all the skin routine stuff and exfoliation and toning. I hardly wear makeup.

I currently use a L’Oréal one I buy at the chemist, I’m keen to change it up!

I have updated page 3 for those reading along!

Edited by TheGreenSheep

nup

I really still live the Thursday Plantation face oils. I use a daily cream from SKII and the oil at night. Skin is dewy on waking if I get enough sleep which is rare. I think drinking loads of water and getting enough rest are key though

Laundry Lass

Lacura Renew Expert, night cream from Aldi.

I use it both day & night. I find it works well without feeling greasy, my skin is very sensitive but this cream doesn't cause any discomfort.

• Like 4

Winter frost

I have bought some expensive ones in the past, but found that I do need to change my brand every couple of years.

I recently bought Olay total effects 7 in 1.

I really like it and it is not the expensive (relatively). And you can buy it in the supermarket. (I am early forties with skin that can tend to be a bit dry).

• Like 3

Dianalynch

Since hitting 40 my skin has become dry, ruddy and sensitive. I have found I need products for sensitive skin - QV, cetaphil, and the like. I use their day creams with a good spf. It does help.

• Like 2

Froyo

Nivea q10 :)

purplekitty

I have bought some expensive ones in the past, but found that I do need to change my brand every couple of years.

I recently bought Olay total effects 7 in 1.

I really like it and it is not the expensive (relatively). And you can buy it in the supermarket. (I am early forties with skin that can tend to be a bit dry).

I've tried many including very expensive ones,I always come back to this.

liveworkplay

I just use good old sorbolene cream and garnier BB cream over the top. I get heaps of comments about how good my skin is (I'm 40+). Despite a little foray into Clinique in my 20's, I have never spent much on beauty products (except de frizz stuff for my hair) I wear minimal make up and it is only post 40 that I wear a bit of mascara and tinted moisturiser every day.

MooGuru

Not quite the right age but I have recently been using the body shop "drops of youth bouncy sleep mask" and I'm a huge convert. I really REALLY like it. I did think it was expensive ($49) but I use such a tiny amount I think this jar will last for absolutely ages.

I also have the face wash and youth concentrate drops.

I use QV sunscreen religiously during the day.

Tyfle Hour

I do agree that the Olay 7-in-1 moisturiser recommended above is as good as any more expensive moisturiser, especially if you go for the one for sensitive skin.

But I do think there are some ingredients that I think would address the issues you are concerned with more than a moisturiser. Namely, retinol, Vitamin C and hyaluronic acid.

In terms of product recommendations, there are lots of ways of getting those ingredients, but I love:

Sorry, I know it isn't what you specifically asked for, but I hope it is helpful anyway.

• Like 2

Lifesgood

I’ve been using Clinique since I was in my 20s and am still really happy with it (I’m almost 50 now)

Same here! Are you me???

My face cream is Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion. Have been using it for at least 15 years and I find it really good.

https://au.strawberrynet.com/skincare/clinique/dramatically-different-moisturizing/159094/

• Like 1

Popper

Hey OP I am not over 40 (but close enough)! Recommend Jurlique face balancing oil with Clinique moisture surge once the oil is absorbed. I also use Clinique moisture surge overnight masque 1-2 times a week.

Flaxen

I really like Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Serum. Its light, and smells nice.

I definitely noticed a difference since using it.

• Like 1

cinnabubble

Budget is anything from The Ordinary, and splurge is Philosophy Miracle Worker.

KwaziiCat

I am early 40s and started using Dermaviduals about 6 months ago. I use the cleanser along with the moisturiser and I can honestly say my skin feels the best it's been in a long time!

I have always been slack with a skin routine but because I've actually seen results I've managed to keep it up. My skin type is normal (not oily)

• Like 1

=R2=

I highly recommend exfoliating (once a week is enough). You can get a Glycolic Acid toner from The Ordinary that you can use everyday. The Ordinary also have AHA (lactic acid) preparations you can try without spending big bucks.

Dead skin cells and surface dryness is probably being caused by layers of dead skin cells that are keeping your moisturiser from being absorbed properly. I say give it a go and you should not need to change up your moisturiser.

• Like 1

Lesley225

Someone recently introduced me to Manuka Doctor Rejuvenating Skin Cream and I really love it. Can't feel it once it's on.

GlitteryElfFarts

At the moment I am using Sukin for sensitive skin(pink label), and on the weekends I use a Lush Skin Drink.

I have Rosacea though and these work for me.

missminx

I can't recommend Sabbatical Beauty enough. They are an American skincare company but ship their products to Australia.

Their sake and rice sleeping pack moisturiser has genuinely changed my life. My skin used to be dry, red, hyper-sensitive and acne-prone. This product has cleared up every single one of those issues and I am finally brave enough to go out in public with no makeup on (haven't been able to say that in 20+ years!).

Product is on the expensive side, but oh my god, I would sell my soul to keep using it ❤

~THE~MAGICIAN~

I am mid-forties and always had horrible skin, but since switching to La Roche-Posay a couple of months ago, my skin has dramatically improved.

I also use their Vitamin C cream, and Retinol.

Occasionally a lactic acid cream from The Ordinary.

Also Kiehls Midnight recovery oil, fantastic stuff!

TheGreenSheep

Wow everyone, thanks so much for sharing, it’s been very helpful. Reading through I have decided a PP is correct, I need to remove built up dead skin, I think this is what was making it feel dry and papery.

I’ve been researching the suggestions and thinking about what to buy and where to buy it!

Please keep adding to the thread, it all helps!

Pip_longstockings

I do agree that the Olay 7-in-1 moisturiser recommended above is as good as any more expensive moisturiser, especially if you go for the one for sensitive skin.

But I do think there are some ingredients that I think would address the issues you are concerned with more than a moisturiser. Namely, retinol, Vitamin C and hyaluronic acid.

In terms of product recommendations, there are lots of ways of getting those ingredients, but I love:

Sorry, I know it isn't what you specifically asked for, but I hope it is helpful anyway.

I found this really helpful. Can I ask what moisturiser you used after the the Vitamin C24? My skin reacts to many moisturisers including Olay. Not tried the 7 in 1 though. Will give it a go.

José

Dead skin cells and surface dryness is probably being caused by layers of dead skin cells that are keeping your moisturiser from being absorbed properly. I say give it a go and you should not need to change up your moisturiser.

I've been thinking that i need to change my moisturiser, however, ive recently changed my cleanser and exfoliator to skinstitut and suddenly my moisturiser seems to be doing its job much better.

Hands Up

I love the ordinary products. I have all of those mentioned above:-) I can see a difference.

• Like 1

Tyfle Hour

I found this really helpful. Can I ask what moisturiser you used after the the Vitamin C24? My skin reacts to many moisturisers including Olay. Not tried the 7 in 1 though. Will give it a go.

I find the La Roche-Posay Toleraine moisturisers the best for my sensitive skin, the Ultra at night and the Light in the morning under makeup. And I do even use the eye contour one too. Yes, I have too many lotions and potions on my bathroom cabinet!

• Like 1