Sign in to follow this  
Babymoon

Pregnant after ectopic

Babymoon

Hi all,

I'm looking for some support as I'm currently pretty stressed. I had an ectopic pregnancy in January 2017 and have been trying to conceive ever since. We've gone through some pretty invasive testing and I had a laparoscopy, after which I was told I'm infertile due to blocked tubes (scar tissue and adhesions from an unspecified infection). We were booked in for IVF this month - except Day 1 of my period never came.

The test shows I'm pregnant but thanks to the previous ectopic and plenty of scar tissue, the baby's location is presently unknown. The plan is to test my hCG every 48 hours to make sure it's doubling and then do a scan when it hits 1500.

I'm really angry at myself because against better judgment, I'm so hopeful for this pregnancy. At the same time I'm dreading the unknown and terrified of the next 2 weeks.

During my ectopic I found it so helpful to be able to post in these forums when I got results. The kindness of people I'd never met helped me so much. Thanks to everyone who looked after me before - I hope there's people who might do so again :)

cvbn

Congratulations, I really hope everything goes well for you.

No practical advice but never feel silly for being hopeful.

• Like 2

Mothers Groupie

Oh babymoon! How stressful! Sending you big hugs and positive pregnancy vibes.

In both of my successful pregnancies the location of my bubs wasn’t confirmed in early scans (I really didn’t want early scans but they were to rule out ectopics).

Can they at least reassure you that nothing seen in your tubes is a good thing (at least to rule out another ectopic)?

• Like 1

Babymoon

Can they at least reassure you that nothing seen in your tubes is a good thing (at least to rule out another ectopic)?

Yes they can, but only when the hCG levels get to 1500 (the magic number for being able to see such things on scans). So it's a stressful 2 weeks ahead as I (hopefully) watch the numbers go up. Lots of blood tests ahead.

Babymoon

My doctor just called with the results of my first blood test. 475 hCG at 4 weeks 2 days. So far no bad news :)

• Like 5

Caribou

475 at 4 weeks is a fantastic result!

• Like 1

cvbn

I have everything crossed for you!

• Like 1

BeckyFreeze

Hi Babymoon,

I understand how you feel totally - I had an ectopic in July 2016 where I lost my right tube. After another 18 months I had endo surgery and boom, BFP. You will get lots of extra care from your GP/OB to have early scans and blood tests etc. If you have a scan when you are 4 weeks (mine was at 4+4), you won't see much so be prepared for that - just a gestational sac, but they will be able to tell you where it is, and hopefully make you feel a bit calmer :)

I know it's so hard to do, trust me, but the best thing you can do for both you and bubs is to take a deep breath. Focus on getting to the next little milestone, the next BT, the next appointment, the next day etc etc and tick them off as you go. Each one of those little milestones will get you closer to comfort.

Happy to talk to you through DM's if you need anything. Good luck xx

• Like 1

Babymoon

Good news again. hCG is doubling. We're up to 965 at 4 weeks 4 days.

I have a booking for a scan on Saturday in the hope that the trend continues.

• Like 1

Caribou

Good news again. hCG is doubling. We're up to 965 at 4 weeks 4 days.

I have a booking for a scan on Saturday in the hope that the trend continues.

That’s great news! But isn’t that a bit too early for a scan at 4-5weeeks? They usually recommend you wait until 6-7 week mark for better results. You will not be able to determine much under 6 weeks.

Babymoon

But isn’t that a bit too early for a scan at 4-5weeeks? They usually recommend you wait until 6-7 week mark for better results. You will not be able to determine much under 6 weeks.

They will be able to see a gestational sac in the uterus (if it's there) once the levels reach 1500. Not much else would be visible. Things like the heart beat would need to wait for another scan at 7ish weeks. But well worth the scan given that I'm stressed and not sleeping much.

• Like 1

FiveAus

Good luck. I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy years ago, was told I couldn't have any more babies but went on to have 2 daughters (to add to the 2 sons I had before the ectopic). No medical intervention either, so anything can happen.

• Like 1

Babymoon

I'm up to 2330 at 4w6d. The scan is happening tomorrow.

I'm really appreciating all your stories, advice and encouragement. They're keeping me sane. Thankyou all.

• Like 2

magic_marker

All the best for tomorrow.

I hope the scan reveals everything is in the right place.

Keeping you in our thoughts!

• Like 1

kerilyntaryn

All the best for tomorrow, I had an ectopic too and I had early scans afterwards, I think the earliest they could see anything was 6 - 7 weeks. Hoping bub is in the right place, the numbers sound good

• Like 1

jb_85

Baby moon I had an ectopic in september last year which ruptured at 5+3, but we knew something was wrong as I was heavily bleeding for a week and my hcg levels started off very low. I am now 14 weeks pregnant after I finally ovulated from the side with a tube still in tact.

Your hcg levels sound really good and they should be able to tell you the location with those numbers, fingers crossed it’s all good

• Like 1

Babymoon

Bub is in the right place :)

We got to see a gestational sac and yolk sac, with a possible fetal pole. The area around the gestational sac looks good. We have to go back for a heartbeat scan in 10 days.

What a relief. We're back to the same risk profile as any other 5 week pregnancy.

The medical professionals are suggesting the process of putting through the dye might have unblocked the right tube without the surgeon realising. It appears to be working well enough!

• Like 5

magic_marker

That's wonderful!

I'm so happy for you!

Congratulations!

We will continue to keep you in our thoughts!

Thank you for coming back to update!

• Like 1

kerilyntaryn

oh that's wonderful. Wishing you all the best

FiveAus

Excellent news!

The bodies ability to heal it self is truly amazing. My ruptured ectopic happened at 21 weeks (yes you read that right) and made an awful mess of my insides. And yet 15 months later, I was pregnant again. Let me tell you, I walked on eggshells for months!

kerilyntaryn

wow FiveAus 21 weeks, oh my glad you are ok and you were later able to have a little one

FiveAus

wow FiveAus 21 weeks, oh my glad you are ok and you were later able to have a little one

I had two boys before the ectopic, then two girls afterwards. This was in 1987, before ultrasound scans were mandatory for early pregnancy, and there was no reason to think there was anything out of the ordinary. In every way, up until the night the tube ruptured and all hell broke loose, it was a very normal pregnancy.

The only fallout has been when I went to have a tubal ligation of the one remaining tube, the surgeon couldn't find the tube due to the amount of adhesions. I had divorced my first husband, and had met a new guy and we were very serious but I didn't want any more kids (and neither did he), so he ended up having a vasectomy instead.

kerilyntaryn

Mine was in 92 before kids and the month we were accepted for adoption and no u/s till the day I went into surgery

Edited by kerilyntaryn

Babymoon

Wow some incredible stories here 21 weeks... far out.

We had another ultrasound today at 6w3d. There's a heartbeat - 130bpm. And the little person is measuring at 6w5d so growing nicely. It's such a relief and an incredible miracle.

• Like 3

IamOzgirl

Congrats babymoon!