Sign in to follow this  
spr_maiden

Backyard play items in a rental

spr_maiden

Hi

I'm searching for ideas on how to make our backyard more enticing and interesting to play in for my children. Age range is 5-8 years.

As per the title, we are in a rental so play structures that are easy enough to move would be ideal. Also, cost is a factor, as is lasting the distance interest/age-wise.

The yard is average urban sized, with no tree branches to hang swings from. The only cement area to access is too sloped to do much except draw on with chalk.

Atm we have a once upon a time well-used trampoline, and a vegie patch in the corner. We have a portable soccer net but it really doesn't get used much. I would love for the kiddies to have things to climb, hang from, hang out in the shade in, even a b ball hoop (though no idea where we could attach that one).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Kiwi Bicycle

You can get free standing basketball hoops and free standing climbing and swing frames. Also umbrellas with water filled bases and cantilevered to provide shade.

Inflatable waterslide in summer.

Check gumtree and others for second hand for larger items. Just be prepared to regrass any bare patches when you move.

spr_maiden

Thanks Kiwi Bicycle.

Water pressure is not good enough for waterslide type items - just gave ours away in last clean up as can't use it.

The umbrella is a great idea.

Do you know if there's free standing swings for older children?

Thank you

Mae55

The main thing used is our backyard is the basketball ring. We got a good quality free standing ring and it’s used daily. The trampoline is used much less often, the cubby rarely and we gave away the swing set. One of my kids would use monkey bars but the other one wouldn’t.

• Like 1

spr_maiden

Caribou they are awesome!

Didn't want to pay that much though - is that pretty standard pricing for outdoor play equipment?

We have a bare patch in the yard already - neighbours' bamboo and our macadamia tree means grass won't grow there. Would set it up there. We move the trampoline around so grass survives.

spr_maiden

The main thing used is our backyard is the basketball ring. We got a good quality free standing ring and it’s used daily. The trampoline is used much less often, the cubby rarely and we gave away the swing set. One of my kids would use monkey bars but the other one wouldn’t.

is there a particular brand of hoop you have?

Googled attaching to a tree, and it seems there's ways to do it without harming the tree.

Also, do you have concrete area under the hoop?

Edited by spr_maiden

Caribou

Caribou they are awesome!

Didn't want to pay that much though - is that pretty standard pricing for outdoor play equipment?

We have a bare patch in the yard already - neighbours' bamboo and our macadamia tree means grass won't grow there. Would set it up there. We move the trampoline around so grass survives.

I don’t want to pay that much either, but it’s looking that’s the expected prices. I’m actually looking for these for my 6.5yr old and my 1yo (I know he won’t use it for a while, trying to see it as a long term investment!) but yes the price :omg: I try look at how much it costs me for 3 x week for two years. May look less painful!

• Like 1

Manicmum

Monkey bars are the winner here, great investment, good resale

• Like 1

spr_maiden

Yes Caribou, pay per use might make it hurt less lol

God they better use them!

Manicmum

Mine have used them daily for 4 years. Their friends love coming over because no one else has monkey bars!! They’ve moved interstate, survived divorce and and another house move. It’s even their favorite ice block eating place.

• Like 1

mumto4boys

I love that vuly one, but I'd say that it is geared towards older kids than yours.

We bought a swing set 25 years ago and it's still going strong. Our own kids have grown up, but visitors still use it. Ours is like the ones linked. They are not concreted into the ground, just set on top of the grass, with a couple of pegs ( like tent pegs) holding them down.

Ours isn't the same brand as these, but very similar. Ours came with a baby seat swing, which we were able to swap for a regular swing as the kids grew.

Ours has followed us to two homes. If you want to move it to a different spot in the backyard, it is easily moved by 2 adults.

Ours is most similar to the Kmart one, with a free standing slide. These are much cheaper but we've had 25 years out of ours.

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/7-station-swing-set/1586232?search=paid&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqZr7x5Dn2gIVCye9Ch0LDQTHEAQYAiABEgJvG_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNv9n86Q59oCFUUwlgodUdEIPQ

https://www.target.com.au/p/playsafe-sporto-7-station-swing-set/57414010?utm_term=57414010&utm_content=playsafe-sporto-7-station-swing-set&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant-site&utm_campaign=merchant-site&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqZr7x5Dn2gIVCye9Ch0LDQTHEAQYASABEgLHEvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COvkqd6Q59oCFZOclgodFy4LKA

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/outdoor-living/outdoor-play-equipment/swing-sets?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqZr7x5Dn2gIVCye9Ch0LDQTHEAAYAiAAEgLGbfD_BwE

MoonPie

We have a funky monkey bar set. Cost us a freaking fortune but the kids use is daily - they are 4 and 11 and it suits them both.

The tipping factor was that they have fantastic resale value.

22Fruitmincepies

We have a funky monkey bar set. Cost us a freaking fortune but the kids use is daily - they are 4 and 11 and it suits them both.

The tipping factor was that they have fantastic resale value.

We got some for Christmas, DD loves them so much. Her strength now is amazing.