Sign in to follow this  
zeldazonk

TTC After A D&C

zeldazonk

I recently had a MMC which resulted in a D&C.

I am desperate to start TTC again but my GP and OB both said to wait until after my first cycle. The bleeding after the D&C has nearly stopped but I have no idea when I will ovulate or when AF will return.

I was looking for some advice for others who have been in this situation. How long did it take for your period to return after your D&C? When did you start TTC again? Did you wait the first cycle?

Also, how long did it take to conceive again and was your next pregnancy successful?

Thank you so much for any replies. I am driving my DH crazy discussing all of this with him!

22Fruitmincepies

I think my period took 6 weeks to arrive after the D&C. My OB asked me to wait a cycle after that (for specific reasons). It took us a while to conceive again, but I think we weren’t doing it enough. My 4mo is snoozing by my side right now.

• Like 1

zeldazonk

Thanks 22Fruitmincepies. 6 weeks is a long time! I was hoping it would be sooner than that. I am getting quite impatient already.

It is lovely to hear about your 4 month old though. The MMC was hard and positive stories are very reassuring.

Edited by zeldazonk

22Fruitmincepies

It felt like forever! Yours quite possibly might be less time than that. Fingers crossed your sticky baby is not far away x

• Like 1

opethmum

Pregnancy mentioned.

I would wait to be honest. I had a miscarriage in January and now pregnant with another in the next cycle, my emotions are all over the shop and falling so soon after is leaving my body so exhausted and I have major morning sickness and the fact my body and my mind was and still not recovered this pregnancy is extremely difficult for me. I am grateful for this baby and I am so sorry you are going through this right now.

Please take care of yourself and allow your body to heal and get regular again.

• Like 1

Tetinks

I fell pregnant immediately after the d&c (due to a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks). My ob said at the time the only reason they suggest waiting is so that it’s easier to date the pregnancy.

That pregnancy went smoothly and I delivered a healthy bub.

1lexi1

I had a D&C last year at 8wks. It was all quite straight forward and my OB was fine with us trying again straight away. I tracked after the D&C using a CB digital dual hormone OPK and ovulated about three weeks after. Normally, I have a pretty predictable 28-29 day cycle, so it was slightly longer. We weren't successful that cycle, but luckily I fell pregnant the very next cycle - I'm now 32wks pregnant :)

I'd say, take your doctor's advice, it's not that long in the scheme of things, although I know it doesn't feel like it!! Good luck!!

• Like 1

123Babies4Me

I have had two D&Cs - both tunes AF returned after 5 weeks and both times I was pg again the next cycle (including now - I’m currently 27 weeks).

However those pregnancies were/are full of anxiety.

I’m sorry this has happened OP, it really sucks :(

• Like 1

123Babies4Me

Just to add, 5 weeks is not crazy long for me. However I’m not sure I even ovulated that first post D&C cycle.

• Like 1

zeldazonk

Thanks everyone. Part of me knows I should wait, but the other part of me is so desperate to be pregnant again. The pregnancy I lost was much wanted and we had been TTC for quite some time.

I don't expect to fall pregnant again straight away, but the idea of actively preventing a pregnancy is not something I am used to!

I think I might start tracking with the CB OPKs just so I know what is going on.

Monna

I just saw this post now but thought I'd let you know my experience. I had a blighted ovum last November and opted for d&c when I would have been nearly 10 weeks. That decision in itself freaked me out (having surgery and the small risk of complications etc). I was told different things by two different doctors - the one that confirmed the blighted ovum recommended waiting one cycle before ttc but the one that did the surgery said it was fine not to wait. As extremely hard ad it was, I decided to wait the first cycle - both so I could ensure I was physically healed and "back on track" and also because I thought if I did fall pregnant in that first cycle and then miscarried I'd probably blame myself for not waiting.

Anyway, my period returned 37 days post d&c (which wasn't too far off my cycle of 32-35 days). We ttc the next cycle and used opk's, not successful then but were successful the one following and I'm currently just over 10 weeks. Totally freaking out of course, but feeling really hopeful this time.

Waiting for that first cycle was SO HARD, not knowing what was happening with my cycle, but in hindsight I'm glad I did. I really feel like my body needed that time to recover.

• Like 1

Monna

Oh and I meant to say, I'm so so sorry you're going through this. It really really sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I've got all my fingers crossed you're back on track and pregnant with your rainbow soon xxx.

• Like 1

Coco36

I was 15 weeks when I lost mine. Then had to go back for a D&C cause my bleeding was really heavy for 3weeks. After the D&C I bled for another 8 weeks.

I’ve been trying since last September.