Mothersjoy

Catholic or government Primary

Mothersjoy

I am so aware how quickly time is going and going to have to submit my enrollment form for St Cecilias soon.They have told me that fees are not increasing (at least not to 6k +) at this stage.

Camberwell South Primary has yet to have their open day.

I'm also considering Canterbury Primay (we shall move if we have to) but concerned about big open learning spaces.

Does anybody have kids currently enrolled at St Cecilia's that could give me any feedback please, or Canterbury PS or Camberwell South Primary.

Camberwell South Primary is much bigger but do the government schools not offer more in terms of music education (included) and more exposure to olympiads, competitions, extra curricular activities?

Are class sizes much bigger and I have heard differentiated learning is an important aspect when deciding on a suitable school.

How does one manage holiday care if needed?

Im fairly new to Australia and this is such a big decision. I really would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you so much

Veritas Vinum Arte

Probably more important is where you are planning on sending your child to high school. Some of the Catholic boys high schools are hard to get into and having been to a Catholic Primary can put you further up the list.

I do know people at St Cecilia's who are very happy.

• Like 1

Mothersjoy

Thank you for your response. I have a daughter, but I've heard its not automatic entry into a catholic high school.

Do you perhaps know anything about St Dominics?

Gudrun

If it was me I would enrol my child in the nearest government primary school that has a holiday program.

I believe all the schools are good and it's the luck of the draw in terms of the teacher your child gets. The convenience of proximity and a holiday program would make the difference.

• Like 6

Veritas Vinum Arte

Sorry I don't know about St Dominic's.

If you google holiday care programs you can see what ones are local. My kids did not do the Holiday Program associated with their school provider (done at another school further away).

I sent my kids to the program done at Lauriston as it was on my way to work. Many kids from my kids school went there too as the other Holiday care place was further away from the city.

https://www.oshclub.com.au/lauriston-girls-school-vic/

You can check these websites about vacation care near you.

https://www.oshclub.com.au/vacation-care/

https://extend.com.au/parents/find-holiday-program/

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte
  • Like 2

Mothersjoy

Thank you very much. This is really useful and gives me some insight should we need to make use of a programme.

Elizabethandfriend

All the schools you mentioned have good names. You live in an area with excellent schools!! Typically Catholic Primary schools have larger class sizes in the lower years - I know at Sacred Heart at Kew they often have 30 in prep whereas the state schools are closer to 20. However, in Victoria the Catholic system seems to offer better access to speech therapist/OTs and the like and more funding for children with additional needs.

Generally larger schools will have more on offer after school but it is school dependent. Some public schools have strong music programs but not all.

Families we know at Camberwell South speak very highly of the school.

• Like 1

Phascogale

All those schools are excellent on paper. Walk through the school with your child and see what your gut tells you. It's worth listening to that too. Sometimes you get a feeling. Most of the time you don't.

It's not always a case of I'm going to send my kid to X primary and they will go to Y high school. Sometimes the kid will want to go to Z high school with their friends. I've got a friend going through that now. Kid is really digging his heels in - wants to go with his best friend to a school his parents don't really want him to attend (with good reason).

So have a think about high school too. There may be the option to move your kid later in primary to a catholic feeder school or to the school of choice (if it's an F-12 school). This isn't always an option though.

You can always put in an application for the catholic schools (sure will cost an application fee ie $100) but it will give you options.

You may also find that the local public primaries are zoned and you may need to send your child to the one that you are supposed to. There is some flexibility but not if the school you want to send your child to is very popular.

And school holiday program - you can attend any at any school. The programs are not run by the school but usually by an external company. They just use the school facilities to run the program. You need to get in early though.

Edited by Phascogale
  • Like 1

MerryMadrigalMadge

Re St Celicia's - are you actually wanting a Catholic education? In this topic, and your previous one, this was unclear.

All the schools you mention are great - this is an area of Melbourne where you are spoilt for choice.

I agree on the secondary school part - are you wanting a catholic high school?

Mothersjoy

Thank you Marigold Madge

I'm not sure! I really just want the "best" school for my daughter.

All schools in the area seems to teach a value system and Cathecism classes are avail for those not attending a catholic school.

I think the hard decision is not wanting to be at a school where I feel opportunities are lacking because of size or being in a school where class sizes are too big and more "disruptive" for my childs attention span.

Oh dear..am I overthinking all of this?

Claudia Jean

Edited by Claudia Jean
  • Like 7

Veritas Vinum Arte

I believe St Roch's school is a girl heavy school (my kids were at another school which was 2/3 boys. Out of 2 classes there were only 8 girls - split across 2 classes so 4 girls per class. DD did not have much choice in friends).

Not all Catholic schools have large classes. DDs classes since Prep were 17-20 students.

Best to have a tour and ask questions etc.

• Like 1

Fossy

We are in that area and have kids at one of the schools you mention and know kids at the rest, they are all very good schools. Just check zoning, as this may come into play with some of the schools you mention, both state and catholic (check parishes).

The only schools in the area I have heard people not being happy with recently are Camberwell and wattle park primary.

Good luck!

• Like 1

MerryMadrigalMadge

Thank you Marigold Madge

All schools in the area seems to teach a value system and Cathecism classes are avail for those not attending a catholic school.

I think the hard decision is not wanting to be at a school where I feel opportunities are lacking because of size or being in a school where class sizes are too big and more "disruptive" for my childs attention span.

No, but maybe overstressing a little!

We chose St Michaels because we wanted a Catholic education, we live in a street where a lot of kids go there, the location of the school worked best for us with tying into getting a train to work, I liked the principal, the priest, and the Grade 6 girl taking us on our tour amazed us with her confidence and intelligence.

Now, none of that means that our choice was the best of paper for us - dd might be getting a better education if she had gone to Solway or Ashburton, or St Celicias etc - but the convenience of our school location, our neighbours etc has meant that DD has settled in really well socially, our before and after school routines are easier, etc. All that matters too.

Just do the tours, weigh up all the factors, get a feel for the school, the staff etc and try to decide on the best school for you as a family - and it won't be a perfect fit.

Edited by MarigoldMadge
  • Like 1

PhillipaCrawford

As one who is almost finished with the first 2 stages of education after 24 years there is no 'best'.

There will be good days and bad days, good teachers and less good teachers, great years etc.

Research tells us time and time again that the most important factor in education is parents and home life. Your child's life will be far more influenced b what you do and your attitude to school than any thing else.

Choose your closest school. If you are catholic then go catholic, but it is silly to adopt a religion you don't follow for school

Where you live the schools are unlikely to be too 'disruptive' and your daughter needs to learn some resilience anyway. Life is not perfect.

What are her kindergarten friends doing?

• Like 5

MillyM

Choose your closest school. If you are catholic then go catholic, but it is silly to adopt a religion you don't follow for school

This. I think sometimes people don't realise how much the Catholic beliefs are weaved into each day and most lessons at a Catholic school (perhaps not all Catholic schools). We are a Christian family but not Catholic and I wouldn't send my child to a Catholic school because it's not my religion. Nothing wrong with it, it's just not my religion.

• Like 1

Sanimelbourne

We are in that area and have kids at one of the schools you mention and know kids at the rest, they are all very good schools. Just check zoning, as this may come into play with some of the schools you mention, both state and catholic (check parishes).

The only schools in the area I have heard people not being happy with recently are Camberwell and wattle park primary.

Good luck!

Sanimelbourne

Hi there. Can you explain more about negative experiences with Camberwell primary? We have recently moved to Camberwell and are just at the border of Camberwell primary and Hartwell primary.

Thank.