150watson

Is this normal for a 4mth Old?

150watson

Hi All,

Not sure if there is just a curriculum they have to follow or not. My 4mth old had to start child care recently. And they give you a login for an app to see updated photos and info throughout the day.

The photos I have been receiving show her 'drawing' and 'finger painting'???? She is only 4mths old, is this normal????

seayork2002

Well my son first cooked when was 18 month old - sadly there is no other sign of genius.

I am not sure but I am yet to meet two kids the same

Caribou

No it’s not normal. I’d say that they’re either exgaerrating, given you the wrong kids photos or helping her out. But honestly, a 4m can barely move so I’m surprised they’re finger painting! It’s rad over the top, I wouldn’t expect to see finger painting babies until 9m or later!

• Like 1

PhillipaCrawford

There is a curriculum. It's called the early years learning framework.

you won't be surprised to know that fingerpainting four month olds is not on it.

Maybe find another childcare.

• Like 2

22Fruitmincepies

When DD was in daycare at 8mo they got all the babies into the various sensory activities like finger painting. My favourite was when they stripped all the babies and got them crawling all over a big sheet of paper covering it with paint. The photos were hilarious. It also helped DD get over her dislike of being dirty.

• Like 1

DaLittleEd

Perhaps they had set up the activity for older babies in the room and she was awake so they got her to join in.

It wouldn't bother me, so long as it is safe (non toxic etc).

• Like 3

~Jolly_F~

I think its kind of cute. I would have done it with my kids especially when they had older siblings her who were doing art and craft stuff.

I doubt they are dumping her in a chair and leaving her to it, lol. They would be there with her and pretty much doing it for her.

Maybe other parents like that kind of stuff. If you dont, just tell them.

• Like 2

harryhoo

I've worked in various childcare settings and have done 'finger painting' with some little bubs, but only ones who have been old enough to sit and 'explore' the paint themselves. I would think 4 months is too young for bub to be getting much out of it. I have painted bubs hands or feet to make prints for mother's day or things like that... but not finger painting as such!

Oriental lily

It would be being done for entirely the benefit of the parents to show nervous parents that the child is settled and the carers are being attentive . Plus you might get cute little hand prints and photos .

Your over thinking it .

• Like 6

RochelleRochelle

I received a piece of my child’s ‘art’ produced at childcare when she was 5 months old, along with some fairly hilarious photos of her cracking it whilst producing said art. I thought it was just a bit of fun. My kid was the youngest in the baby room for a while, and they tended to try out most activities with her even though they were mainly set up for kids around a year old. It was the sensory play that was worthwhile rather than the product.

• Like 2

EmmDasher

If your baby has been finger painting you will not need photos to know about it. The clothes will tell the tale. You should have seen the clothing that was sent home the day they played with (I’m guessing) plaster of paris.

At 4mths I’m guessing they’re just setting up cute photo ops to keep her involved in the room activities.

MsLaurie

My daughter’s first daycare artwork was at about 5mos, red and green finger swipes across the page.

I’d wondered why under her nails were coloured!

They apparently set the bubs up in high chairs with paper and a tiny bit of paint to explore. They did similarly with things like playdoh and clay.

Kafkaesque

As has been said it’s an activity set up to give you some “art”. Those that said the babies get nothing out of it immconfused by as the sensory feedback from squishy cool paints would be great. The feeling of “drawing” when pushing fingers around etc.. heaps of stuff in it for the babies. Just far more effort than most parents would go to at home.

It sounds great op and I have had similar pics from day care for all three of my kids.

• Like 1

AdelTwins

I did scribbles with DS3 about that age. He was sitting on my lap grabbing everything and we were at the table with his older brothers who were colouring.

I can't do it now (7mo) as the crayon would be straight in the mouth!