Sign in to follow this  
pukeko walking

Best dance lessons for a little groover?

pukeko walking

DS will be 5 in May. He's always loved music and had a surprising awareness and control of rhythm and timing. Since I can no longer go to coles without a dance session occurring behind me (heaven forbid they play the village people....honestly, the moves!!!!) - can anyone suggest the right kind of dance lessons to get him into?

We live regionally and have heard the local ballet is very formal and strict. Due to the aforementioned love of the village people, I think he needs something that allows for more creativity and freedom at this stage!!

Does anyone have any pointers?

Edited by pukeko walking

Ozquoll

If you live regionally you won’t have many options so perhaps just enroll him in whatever kids jazz/ modern/ hip-hop classes are available. Youtube vids would probably teach him a lot too, there are so many dance tutorials on there.

• Like 1

amdirel

I would be looking for a jazz class.

• Like 1

coolbreeze

Jazz or musical theatre. Or tap or hip hop.

You might be surprised that he also may love classical ballet. My ds does.

CB

• Like 2

pukeko walking

Jazz or musical theatre. Or tap or hip hop.

You might be surprised that he also may love classical ballet. My ds does.

CB

May I ask how old your DS was when he started ballet?

rosie28

Musical theatre or a drama class could work if you can’t find a dance class that suits. I’d be aiming for Jazz, hip hop or modern dance though.

• Like 1

pukeko walking

Does anyone have any experience comparing classical ballet with hip hop or jazz? We could do hip hop an hour away, but ballet is close (and we already travel an hour every week for gymnastics and back). I don't really get the impression that starting with ballet would be the right 'fit' (even if it's something he might take up later)- just because he starts moving to the beat before he's even registered there's music- but would love to hear others' experiences?

Edited by pukeko walking

laridae

Also tap may be an option?

• Like 1

amdirel

Does the ballet school have other classes on offer?

rosie28

Ballet is quite structured, there will be time with no music focussing on technique etc. if it’s a traditional school. It doesn’t seem like his kind of scene...

Aside from dance, what about a choir? I’ve been in choirs all my life and there was quite a bit of dancing when I was younger. I also did classical ballet, but singing and dancing was so much fun (musical theatre class would have been amazing for me).

• Like 1

pukeko walking

Thank you for all of the responses so far. I'm trying to go through our options with a kilometre radius, but everyone's comments are helping me figure out what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

Abcde-La-A

I also have a little groover (age 6) and am enrolling him in hip hop dancing next term.

coolbreeze

My ds was in Grade 1 when he started classical, so around six years old?

He does jazz as well which is more free flowing.

His big sister does a lot of classical dancing so it was a shared interest. Maybe the school close to you if it offers both jazz and classical.

CB

• Like 1

Staying Strange

Have a look what is available in your area. My DD is doing a "combo" class as a first dance class where she's learning ballet, jazz, hip hop, tap and some others (the dance school also offers afro, musical theatre and something else).

If you're regional it's really going to depend on what's available. Good luck

• Like 1