Cheesy Sanga

How much notice for a pupil free day?

Cheesy Sanga

How much notice would you expect a public school to give the parents about an upcoming pupil free day?

We were just notified today of a pupil free day in 3 weeks (!!!)

This doesn't affect me, as fortunately I have a person available for the day to have the kids. But if that person wasn't available then I'd be stuck. I don't have any annual leave days available as they've all been booked (we need to book 1 year ahead). Even if I could get an annual leave day, the relief team is unlikely to have anyone available at such short notice.

Do public schools need to lodge their requested pupil free days with the Education Department well ahead of time? Or can public schools just decide last minute?

Soontobegran

It may be that some schools have only just established their schedule but hopefully the rest of the year is sorted and you will be told.

got my tinsel on

As far as I know in NSW, all public schools have the same pupil free days (staff development). i.e. generally the first day of Terms 1, 2 and 3 and the last 2 days of term 4.

Here are dates for 2018:

https://education.ns...18-calendar.pdf

Edited by fancie shmancie

1975ladybug

You have a school that communicates with you!

We have had one week, yes you read that right, 600 students and one weeks notice.

We find out about a swimming carnival via Facebook, it was held on the Monday after school returned, they returned on the Thursday, two days of school and then a swimming carnival.

We find out when school will return after summer holidays last week of school because they can't possibly return the same day as the local public schools.

I currently have a bill for band and an instrument hire, they can't tell me what's the instrument, and I'm not paying until they do. Why not? Because I'm not hiring a triangle for the year.

Yes it's a private school, sorry to hijack your post, but 3 weeks to organise for a pupil free day would be bliss.

• Like 1

Astrocyte

At my sisters school (catholic secondary school) all the pupil free days are organised when they start for the year and listed in the school diary. Parents can also access a list of pupil free days and other school events via the school app (I think it's called care monkey).

Reading_Mum

Our public school (Victoria) has given us the dates for our pupil free days - start of May and on in October now. 3 weeks would definitely not be enough notice for me!

Coffeegirl

Unless it’s due to a strike, our school has all their pupil free days marked before the year starts. NSW public high school

• Like 3

gravity1

Our primary school was notorious for giving us approx. a week notice! That soon stopped when several parents (including myself) complained. I strongly believe that school was working on a 1950's model of mum being at home and dad being the breadwinner!

• Like 1

Future-self

Baring an emergency all pupil free days have been available in the Qld education calendar for Public schools since the end of last year as part of term dates .

DH and I have been able to plan the whole year.

Friends of ours with kids in Catholic Primary were only told the week before school went back this year that the Preps were actually only attending 2 days the first week via an email from the Principal. Cue last minute scramble for one of them (both working in a Hospital) to swap shift to cover the other days . Absolutely appalling.

Expelliarmus

I think 4 weeks should be the minimum but I don’t know what official policy is in my state. We usually have them set up by the end of the previous year so they can be ratified by Governing Council.

Last minute changes can happen too though.

qak

A few weeks notice is usual for us.

There was the time DS had school holidays followed with a PFD; the next day there was a serious power outage before the first bell and the primary parents had to all be called to come and get their boys or make arrangements for them to go home ...

CaSPer79

Public WA high school we know before the school year starts but WA schools generally just tack them on the end of the term holidays.

RynandStompy

I usually find out if I read the school newsletter of what's coming up the next week.

I thought they kept us in suspense to make sure we read it :-)

• Like 2

frogcal

Vic public primary, 2 pupil free days this year and already in the school newsletter for June and November. Both give staff a 4 day weekend so call me cynical if I don't think they are coming in for professional development. Good on them...

Greatmum

U can look at dept Ed website for the whole years student free days

• Like 1

IkeaAddict

Vic public primary, 2 pupil free days this year and already in the school newsletter for June and November. Both give staff a 4 day weekend so call me cynical if I don't think they are coming in for professional development. Good on them...

hAHAHA. I used to think this too then for 2 of them DS was at OOSH for both...school teachers carpark was full.....

• Like 1

BornToLove

Our school hasn’t announced their pupil free days yet and I know we will be caught short handed. We have a ‘meet the teacher’ thing tomorrow and it’s one of the questions I have. I really don’t understand why they can’t have this worked out by the first day of the school year.

José

As far as I know in NSW, all public schools have the same pupil free days (staff development). i.e. generally the first day of Terms 1, 2 and 3 and the last 2 days of term 4.

Here are dates for 2018:

https://education.ns...18-calendar.pdf

schools are allowed to deviate from this.

Mrs Claus

I got a text today 'reminding' me of the pupil free day tomorrow.... first I've heard of it. Thankfully it's high school so child could/can look after themselves

seayork2002

Nsw public and i dont remember ever not knowing at the start of the year

• Like 1

SeaPrincess

We get a calendar at the start of each term.

Chief Pancake Make

I dont know about pupil free days, but I got a letter from the principal saying that there was a parent information session in three days time at 3.45pm and the principal "hoped for 100% attendance"

Luckily I dont work that day, but I did have to cancel other activities. Its just part of the anti working parent attitude that I get from the school.

• Like 1

Expelliarmus

Nope. They are to give the students 4 day weekends - teachers don't get them at all. A few times we have been at PD offsite though.

U can look at dept Ed website for the whole years student free days

Not in every state.

Lucrezia Bauble

One weeks notice is not enough - three..maybe. Not ideal.

We generally have them on the Monday before they start a new term (nsw state primary).

tothebeach

Primary school has OOSCH available so now issue with pupil free as that is the default option. High school we seem to only find out by accident but as my son is 12, he just stays home by himself.