Sign in to follow this  
lozoodle

9 year old with sore nipples

lozoodle

Could this be the start of things? My 9 year old has been getting herself worked up into a state because her "chest hurt" and of course being her mother's daughter, her mind immediately turned to "omg what if it is something terribly wrong with me!".

On talking, we've worked out its her nipples that are sore and I had a look and they do look a little puffy, but she has no breast buds or anything as yet. I'm thinking this is just all the start of things and that's the cause of it - she wore a crop top to school yesterday to stop her uniform rubbing on her and said it was much better.

Anyone else going through or went through this at 9 with their daughter?

imme

I actually had this happen to me. I was a bit older though (but I was older when I started puberty, too), but my nipples would become incredibly painful because of material rubbing on them. Having something on them like a crop top etc. helped a lot for me.

cvbn

Yes, all my girls felt 'bruised'.

Lots of sympathy and a panadol if it was the middle of the night.

Please check with your GP if you see odd changes.

• Like 1

piggyinthemiddle

You have hit the nail on the head with the crop top. You have exactly described my recent experience (with a much later developer though). The crop top solved it.

imme

Interesting that it's a different sensation for different people! Mine was like they were being sawn off, it was a really sharp stinging pain, sort of like when you have nipple thrush and your towel rubs against them.

Urrrgh, sends shivers down my spine!

• Like 1

lozoodle

Lots of sympathy and a panadol if it was the middle of the night.

Please check with your GP if you see odd changes.

Absolutely I would, but right now to me it just seems like run of the mill normal development, but of course she's all worried because its new to her.

I'll go get her a few more crop tops today just so its more comfortable for her.

lozoodle

Oops just realised I posted this in the wrong section, sorry! Meant to be in 9 plus but doesn't matter :)

literally nobody

My just turned 9 year old has the same thing but on one side only. Id say yes its the start of puberty.

• Like 1

Soontobegran

Yes, all 4 about this age and a crop top fixed it. It was still a couple of years for breasts and periods though.

• Like 1

born.a.girl

Yep, same here, she had sore nipples just before breast buds (a few weeks, a month or so from memory), a few years before periods.

Newbutoldish

Yes we have been through this. For mine it was the friction of the shirt rubbing on them so we got her crop tops. It seems to come and go though. Some days she won’t wear a crop top and will be fine but other days she needs to wear one.

PhillipaCrawford

My 10 year old actually ended up on antibiotics for mastitis.

She kept telling me it was sore and I did all the crop top things but eventually after a week she developed a nasty red patch which was hot to the touch.

lozoodle

Went and bought her a few more crop tops yesterday, she seems much happier now. I explained to her its all normal and suggested she have another read of her girl stuff book and let me know if she's got any questions, but that its totally normal etc etc. I think really now she's just feeling relieved that its nothing bad.

• Like 1