123Babies4Me

How did you choose names?

123Babies4Me
  • Like 1

Bam1

I found that deciding on a first initial really helped, there was an unintentional pattern with our first 3 so we continued it with 4&5 (twins) we even had the second letter as well so that narrowed the range of names available and found 2 that suited them fairly easily

• Like 1

EXU

We don't double up on letters we've used for the first and middle name, we only have 10 letters left to choose from :)

I have also kept the same name list over the past 16 years, although it has been modified time and time again.

• Like 1

jdl

I had literally no boys' names chosen and as we did not know the sex (not by choice - no one could call it on U/S) we were waiting to see what he 'looked like' if a boy....

We did have a few girls' names chosen but in the end we watched a French film the night before she was born and the name came from some names in the credits like an actresses name for one and I think someone in the sound team...can't remember but those were the names we went with.

Daffy2016

We had a shortlist and DH was pushing for one name that I didn’t particularly like. But when she was born that name just seemed right. We used my choice for a middle name.

Chelsea Rogers

We used to pretend to call out the names we liked for a while and see if it got annoying or not...

Edited by Chelsea Rogers

Feral Grey Mare

The only name I had picked for Number One was a boy's middle name. When DD arrived DH wanted to name her Rachel which I didn't like so I had to come up with an alternative and named her with the feminine form of the boy name I had chosen. Her middle names were the names of my sister and DH's mother.

DS was named after a character in a TV show

( Seachange). His middle name is the same one his Dad and Grandad had. Had he been a girl he would have been Sophie with middle names being my Mum and DH's sisters names.

**Xena**

We've been pretty lucky with names, we have similar taste.

First son my husband suggested Sebastian and I loved it with the middle name Michael after a friends father who passed away

Second son I had Ethan picked out from before DS1 because of a cute kid I met as a teen with that name, with Patrick as a second name after my husband.

DD1 we actually like Aisling but thought it would be mispronounced a lot so we went with Ashley and Clare as a middle name after my husband's mum who passed away.

Then DD2 we thought we'd stick with a tree theme for our girls and went with Willow and Jane as a middle name because it's mine and my mother's second name.

Finally our last boy we wanted a name that ended with 'an' because the other boys did so we went with Caspian and Gabriel as a middle name because the other boys had saints names as middle names and I loved that name.

If he'd been a girl she would have been Juniper Kate.

I love naming my babies. We've had names picked out in the first trimester every time :lol:

Lauren59

It does get much harder the more you have :)

We decided our firsts name while I was in labour as my husband then decided he didn’t really like our boys name anymore and we hadn’t settled on a girls name so she is Ainsley Jayne.

Our second we struggled again with girls names but had a boys name picked we both loved so lucky he was a boy, he is Darcy James Michael (couldn’t agree on one middle name!)

So now we had an unintentional pattern of names ending in y, so after much discussion decided to stick with it...not everyone’s cup of tea but the kids really like it actually:) number 3 is a boy named Billy Patrick, again neither of us liked the girls name that the other loved but agreed on the boys name. Although my husband also wanted Jimmy or Buddy...

Our fourth is a girl and funnily enough we both loved Lucy and Henry for a boy, so she is Lucy Elizabeth.

Our fifth is another girl and we also agreed on Sydney for a girl and stuck with Henry as our boys pick, so she is Sydney Lyla. We both loved Isla for a middle name but didn’t want her initials to be SIC...

And number 6 we again couldn’t agree on a girls name that we both loved ( did settle on Georgy but I wasn’t 100% with that spelling) but we finally got our Henry Joseph!

And I think he’ll be our last, not least because we are running out of names ending in y that we both love :)

Crazy Cat Lady

I threw names at the ex until he finally agreed on one I liked

gemgirl

We tend to write a list each, share it and cross names off one another's lists.

Another option is the app Kinder. It's a bit like Tinder in that you swipe left/ right, but it's for baby names. You're then notified when you and your partner have a match. We already had our names chosen, but used it one night, and got a few new matches :)

livelifelovehappy

I worked backwards for my daughter, by looking up names with the meaning I wanted, that gave me a couple of options. I then experimented talking to my bump with those names and found I really, really liked and felt comfortable with one, and it suits her PERFECTLY now she's 5!

For my son, we could not agree until my husband in the hospital came up with one we hadn't thought of before (actually the name his parents had considered for him but not chosen) and it was just right.

Edited by livelifelovehappy