Sign in to follow this  
moineau

Year 1 in a K1 composite class?

moineau

Sigh!

My DD is an a K1 class.. in the same kindy room with the same teacher as last year..

Whilst I like her teacher I can't help feeling like this is a disadvantage. They are separated from the other year 1 kids (where they lone up and the part of the school that the kindy and year 1 classrooms are located)

I also worry about her education. Her and the other 4 girls in this class were all above average for english and math in their reports.. it seems like the common conception to this is that the k1 kids didn't do well in kindy therefore need to 'repeat' kindergarten lessons... and the kids in the 1/2 class are more advanced....

Did I miss something!?

Has anyone had positive experiences having a year 1 in a K1 class? Surely it would be quite disruptive to the older grade being mixed in with kids learning the alphabet and how to sit still... I've seen different resources in year 1 rooms that aren't in the kindy rooms... I think perhaps i may need to do even more work at home with my DD. I want to enable her to stay at her above average level...

Our entire school is composite this year and I just do.not.get.it

CrankyM

It will be fine. My youngest child's cohort has a unwieldy number of students so they always have a composite class with the cohort below them. Different kids each year. It works out fine. The teachers can teacher different concepts to the students. Actually the students chosen for the composite here are usually those who are more mature and capable of more independent work. You might find that kids are grouped or moved between the yr 1 classes for certain subjects like spelling groups.

When my son was in the composite basically while concepts where taught the older kids has the concept extended. And it was good for my child because it gave him an opportunity to learn independent learning skills, and be a role model for the younger children.

• Like 3

José

often the older students in composites are not the least able but the most.

id think your child is probably more independent and capable than many of the other students in her grade.

i wouldnt care about where they line up.

you said you like the teacher.

thats important and would be enough to kerp me happy

Soontobegran

You are under a misconception with regards to how composites are put together.

If you like the teacher then trust they've made the right decision for your little girl.

My children were in the varied levels in composites and never to their detriment.

JRA

I was always under the impression that composite classes were based on the 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 grades as per the curriculum stages (is that the right word).

I think the fact that the k/1 class is separated from the grade 1s so much I would be quite concerned about. Do the kinder kids have to stay in their own part of the playground, many schools have this for the prep/kinder kids. If so that makes it even more challenging as all the kids are in class with are confined, and they are not.

The difference between kids new to school, and those who have been there for one year should be huge

• Like 1

rileys-mum

I never got composite class either until we moved schools and had no choice. My son was the older year level in a 1/2 split. I thought his work would be easier. It definitely was not. But more surprising was the confidence he developed in learning and in general by being a leader within the class that would not have happened in the 2/3 composite.

• Like 2

Julie3Girls

if this is your first child in school, I can undestand your concerns,

Schooling has changed a lot, and composite classes are much more a choice taken by schools, rather than a necessity, at least within a stage (1/2, 3/4, 5/6)

Occasionally a crossstage class is needed (k/1, 2/3, 4/5)

Not usually optimal, but a good teacher, it can still be a great class.

The best thing is talk to the teacher, see how they are going to run the class. I know k/1 has been run a lot at our school due to numbers. Usually chosen carefully - the more independent workers in both sides of the class. The class is often smaller, gets a bit more aid time. And our school makes a conscious effort to maintain the connections with the appropriate year group.

From an academic view point, the year 1 kids often get more individual time than the kids in a 1/2 class,