CallMeFeral

Subway platter (for kids party) - anybody tried them?

CallMeFeral

Looking for an easy 'solid food' option for a kids party that is not at home. We'll have the usual lollies/chips but assume the kids might get a bit hungry as it's one of those tree climbing places.

Has anybody tried their bun or wrap platters? Are they good? Are the fillings fancy or basic (I'm actually hoping kind of basic for the kids but I don't know what to expect).

littlepoppet

No idea but I love the idea! We potentially have a party venue to book that doesn't include food, so interested in responses. I really can't be bothered with organising the usual sausage rolls, party pies etc. in a foreign kitchen.

• Like 2

Let-it-go

If you don’t specify, they’ll just give you a mixed platter with all the salads on each bun or wrap.

But if you specify what you want, then you’ll get that.

For kids, I would be asking for ham, cheese, cucumber and lettuce maybe. Their turkey is pretty inoffensive. They cut the buns into 3 per foot long for the platters so they are a good size for kids.

My kids LOVE subway so I think it’s a great idea but you need to specify what you want. I doubt the pickles or olives will be popular!

• Like 3

~Jolly_F~

Had both wraps and rolls and they are delicious.

The fillings are just a meat, salad with sauce. I think you can select what fiinga you prefer.

Another option is a sushi platter, these have all ways gone well at parties. Both adults and kids enjoy them.

Edited by ~J_F~
  • Like 2

Pearson

I would make sandwiches at home. Much easier, less expensive, control over flavours, you can do ham or chicken or jam or vegemite or cheese. Better sized for kids.

For sushi platter, buy the rolls you want and chop them yourself. 10 rolls into 3 or 4 pieces is much cheaper. If you can get rice paper rolls, cut them in 2.

You can take hot food if you wrap it in alfoil, straight into towel lined esky. I have done this in the alfoil trays before.

Have another esky for cold stuff.

• Like 2

Mumma bug

I haven’t had the subway platters but used Woolworths wrap platters for a kids party and they were great.

• Like 3

CallMeFeral

I haven’t had the subway platters but used Woolworths wrap platters for a kids party and they were great.

Didn't know they did them - thanks!

Pearson I'll be making his cake the same day which is already a bit tight so I think I need to plan not to do any additional work on that day because I doubt it will get done!

• Like 1

Let-it-go

How many kids are you catering for?

What ages?

I can do you a subway order if you like!

• Like 2

CallMeFeral

About 10 9yos, two 4yos, two teenagers and 4-10 adults (it's a drop off party but who knows if some might stay?)

I can do you a subway order if you like!

What do you mean?

marple

I've done a Subway platter for a couple of teenage parties. They are very popular.Only once have we had leftovers and I ate them the next morning. I just asked for a mixture - I have no idea what people actually like - and as I say sooo popular with everyone and super easy.

• Like 1

SeaPrincess

We have Subway platters as catering at work once a week. They are fairly basic - inoffensive meats (no tuna, for example), salad and no dressing. They do vegetarian and dairy-free options, and they do salads for us if we have gluten-free students.

• Like 1

~Jolly_F~

We have Subway platters as catering at work once a week. They are fairly basic - inoffensive meats (no tuna, for example), salad and no dressing. They do vegetarian and dairy-free options, and they do salads for us if we have gluten-free students.

It really depends what you order.

The ones I have eaten have dressings and definitely tuna options

• Like 1

sarahec

I went to a 6 yo party with subway and none of the kids ate it. A few screamed when they saw the sandwiches. A few took out filling and ate the bread.

I enjoyed it though.

• Like 1

mumto4boys

Our work gets Subway platters a couple of times a year and I really don't like them. That said, for me it is because every sandwich is covered in capsicum. I find the smell of that really strong and similar with the flavour, so that even if you pull the capsicum off, I can taste it.

If you were to take the time to specify what you want they'd be a lot better.

I prefer the platters of wraps that you can get from Woolworths by far. I'm also a fan of sushi platters.

Depending on the size of your party, you could mix the three together to please more tastes.

• Like 1

onetrick

We get them at work sometimes- always ask for dressing on the side, and you can say which salad you want/ don’t want. You are paying for it, so just ask for what you think the kids will eat?

Do you have a Costco near you? Friends of ours had a couple of sandwich platters at their kids bday party and they were pretty popular (and really tasty!).

BBC

Yes, Costco sandwich and/or sushi platters.

CallMeFeral

I love the costco ones - but it's too far from us and not worth it once we pay for the membership :(

Pearson

Didn't know they did them - thanks!

Pearson I'll be making his cake the same day which is already a bit tight so I think I need to plan not to do any additional work on that day because I doubt it will get done!

See, I make the cake before the party day - really annoying to store sometimes, but cakes can generally hold for a day (a professional cake maker pointed out to me that the majority of cakes for events are made days in advance!)

This is why we have had time to do things like I suggested on the day.

Just another way of doing things.

paddington_

I don't know many 5yr olds who would eat your regular subway subs with all the salad and vast amounts of capsicum that seems to be on them.

Maybe if they were just ham and cheese?

liveworkplay

Is there a bakery chain near that does platters? We have a chain here that does hot or cold platters. Hot have pies, sausage rolls, mini quiches etc and the lids devour them. I'm not a subways fan so couldn't comment on their platters. Just walking past a store makes me want to :sick: It's the smell of the gross bread "heating"

Edited by liveworkplay

MrsLexiK

I get either them or wraps or Costco. Also do a sushi plater. I then make a bunch of gluten free ones and dairy free ones. Sure I could make them all myself but what ever I can outsource the more I enjoy their parties.

Holly298

If your in Sydney , Loomas bakery home deliver freshly made mini quiches, pies and sausage rolls that are awesome, I used them for DS movie party last year, they delivered them freshly made that morning at 10am and I just reheated them at 2pm , took them into the city and everybody ate them warm no problems , I spent hours making wraps and sandwich platters for my twin nephews 6th birthday party last year and hardly any of the kids ate them!

KoalaTeeTime

I used to work at Subway and we'd often make the platters. We wouldn't put things like olives, pickles, jalapenos on them unless asked and the sandwiches would be a mix of the cold meats and plain salad with the most popular sauces (nothing spicy).

If you get a platter my advice is to order it for pick up during a quiet time, like around 9am because they will have more time/resources to make it nicely. I remember a few times being in a mad rush to finish platters because the pick up time was right during lunch rush...we wouldn't premake them too far in advance because we didn't want them to go soggy.

baking101

Specify what you want. I’ve had some extremely odd combos before (cheese, tom sauce plus salad was an interesting flavour combo).

Girlo

Another here that does sushi platters. Woolworths does easy sushi platters and there is one with all the kid friendly small pieces