BabyBaby12

Daycare Homework Sheets and Events

BabyBaby12

Do you get homework sheets from daycare? If so, how often and what kind of homework are you asked to do? Do you feel they are beneficial to your child, other children and the centre or a waste of your time? Sometimes when I have a full day at work and then I get a homework sheet to fill in at home for a three year old I lose all motivation to do it. The same goes for dress up days and other events. It can take a lot of time and effort especially when your child does not have a footy outfit or doesn't like dressing up. I often feel like the mum who doesn't take part and therefore doesn't care. What I really care about is how my child enjoys daycare and how the carers treat him. If all is good in those two departments then I am happy.

Future-self

There is no way that my children would be completibg homework from daycare- how ridiculous . Recycle bin for homework sheets with no guilt OP.

DS hates dressing ok too so we don’t participate. If he was desperate to then i’d make some effort to wack a footy scarf around his neck or stick numbers in the back of his shirt if i didn’t have a full costume . You wouldn’t be the only one at the centre so don’t fret.

• Like 4

ainira

By homework sheets, so you mean encouraging your child to "draw something that happened on the weekend" type stuff? I remember seeing one of those but didn't get DD2 to complete it as she was too young to draw.

Otherwise, I've filled in "information about my family" type stuff, etc. These were pretty rare though, and were included in the portfolio.

ali-song

Uh, what? No, I do not get asked to do homework by daycare. I don’t think they’d like my response.

The closest we get is the ‘take this stuffed animal home for a week and take a bunch of photos’ activity, and even on that I’m a bit hit & miss. Dress-ups are strictly what we’ve got in the dress-up box. Footy week has gone unrecognized for the past six years. Children seem unscathed.

• Like 1

laridae

I ignore that kind of stuff from daycare. Dress up days we participate if she wants and we have something suitable.

CallMeFeral

Homework from daycare is ridiculous.

• Like 5

just roses

Homework at daycare? Lol.

kimasa

At the beginning of each new room I get a "Your kid's favourite things" thing to fill out? But it only happens once a year and now that she's in the kinder room they did them at daycare with the kids.

Is that what you mean?

• Like 1

Inkogneatoh

In the 10 years I was in Childcare, I have personally seen "homework" organised for 2 children. Both were the year before starting school with a sibling who had just started. It was basic activity sheets photocopied out of a book, normally dot to dots or mazes. The request came with the start of the school year, and the novelty wore off after about 3 weeks. It was only done on request of the parent, as them giving the child something was not acceptable and it had to come from the teacher.

The information sheets, we did in the centre with the children, so the younger the child the less info on them. Most were just the basics like age, height, hand print etc, and were done at the start and end of the year for the scrapbook of work we would do for each child.

The organisation I spent most of that time with (a limited hours service, OSCH, and a long day centre all run by the same parent organisation) for some reason didn't do dress up days. Occasionally the younger staff would suggest it, all peppy and excited, but the idea would eventually be dropped when they were told "you have my permission to run with that and organise it your self" from the director.

seayork2002

My son has been to 3 day cares (one overseas) and I have not heard of homework.

As for dress up days he just wears normal clothes unless he actually wanted to dress up - which he is yet to really want to put any effort in

happygoluckyinoz

Never had homework from daycare and there's no chance I'd be doing.

Also don't do dress up days - who has the time for that? I would say it's 50/50 for those that participate. Most I'll do is if it is a 'wear red day' then I might try and remember to put a red t-shirt on him... but mostly forget.

hills mum bec

When my kids were at child care we would sometimes b asked to stick a family photo on a piece of paper and write what their names are or bring in a photo of a family pet but I will be honest and say I very rarely (actually, probably never) participated. Too much going on just getting kids to school/child care in the morning to deal with stuff like that.

sarahec

My son got homework sheets in his last year of daycare, I never sent any back for "marking". My son had to do speech therapy homework so there's noway I could be bothered helping with daycare homework too.

I always liked dress up days and events so participated in those (when I remembered).

Ollie83

What?! As an ECT I'm horrified by this, they need to be children!! They've got to their whole school career in front of them, they do not need home work at 3!! I'd be making a complaint to the director if it happened to me.

• Like 5

CrankyM

Homework at daycare? How bizarre. What sort of daycare is this? There isn't any proven benefit of homework in primary school I doubt there would be any for daycare where kids are supposed to be learning and exploring the world through play.

As for dress ups. My kids don't like dressing up and I always forgot so it rarely happened. The daycare my kids went to didn't do them a lot anyway and had a huge collection of dressup clothes at the daycare. So if kids where interested in dressing up they could at daycare.

PhillipaCrawford

Another ECT here whao has been teaching 4-5 year old for over 30 years.

Homework is just wrong and betrays every early childhood principle I can think of. And not just mine but those of any recognised early childhood theorist. Do you think Montessori had them doing work sheets, or the kinders of Reggio Emilia?

Change daycare since any early childhood setting that is pushing such rubbish will be doing a lot more crap while the children are with them.

It is part of the pushing down of an academic curriculum, the whole children should know how to read before they start school thing.

Wrong on so many levels. Children at this age benefit most from creative, unstructured play. Loose parts and raw materials - boxes, sticks, stones, mud etc. Any daycare who would take away a child's opportunity to play by insisting they complete an adult centred task is anti - child.

Sorry, I get a bit passionate about what we are doing to our children.

• Like 4

robhat

A daycare that sends home homework? I'd be finding another daycare. Seriously.

Oh and yeah, I'm another one with an Early Childhood teaching degree...

• Like 1

Winter frost

Ahh no never heard of it and unlikely to agree to it. Bad idea.

However I do need a bit more info. To be fair if it was sent home I would read it and determine what to do. I have no intention of sitting my children down to do homework, but if childcare has the time and energy to send me creative ideas of ways to entertain my children then happy to consider it.

I have had the class stuffed animal sent home and I duly took it on outings and took pictures of it and stuck them in the scrap book. I count that as homework and would've been annoyed if I had to do it more than once for the same child.

MGB

The preschool room at daycare sends a homework/topic sheet once a month so it can then be discussed/presented as news. My 4 year old doesn’t mind doing it.

Like you, I’m more interested in knowing they have a good day and are well cared for. In saying that though, because it’s only once a month I don’t mind.

Bereckii

The impression that I got from the OP was that the homework was for the parent (not the child)

I'm guessing questions along the lines of: what is childs current interests, does the family have a pet, what do you do on the weekend, what is sth your child could talk about for "news", pls provide a photo of your child with his/her family for our "family photo wall", etc.

None in childcare at present, but we would get this kind of thing a couple of times a term when we had children in childcare. Sometimes I would put effort in. Other times not much.

Dress ups? Ummm. Only if child showed interest. And only using items already in the house.

Luci

What does the homework typically involve OP? What sort of things are you asked to do and how often?

harmonic_wizz_fizz

If it's start of the year 'about me and my family' or similar, yep, I do them. Regular worksheets, then no. Dress up days of my kid wants to, pyjama days... Always.

I agree with this. We do the about your child info sheets so the carers can cater for them better, and if there were me and my family ones where the kids had imput we would do this too. For kids that are in preschool / Kindy through daycare this is similar to what they might get if they went to a state govt. kindergarten.( If they had gotten other worksheets Id be thinking they are too young for homework! )

Same with dress up, if the kid wants to.

Dont feel bad if you dont have the time or energy for it, a 3 year old isnt going to worry or miss out if not.

Edited by harmonic_wizz_fizz
  • Like 1

iwanttosleepin

Homework from daycare?? The only homework we get is

finding ways to scrub the mud out of the clothes, finding a way to turn his arms back to white (from green) and how to get that stuff out of his hair.

I don't even support homework for primary school and definitely not worksheets EVER.