Sign in to follow this  
Hands Up

Considerations/questions when hiring a Nanny

Hands Up

Hi, I'm interviewing for 4 and 5 day a week roles, and will need to move quickl to hire a nanny for the additional day(s), if I get one of the roles.

I need some help with what is reasonable to ask for, and what kind of questions need to be asked. So far I have a list to ask as well as to inform:

- all the background stuff around driving record, criminal check, working with children etc

- references

- clarifying availability and hourly rate/daily rate

- what we believe is appropriate and not appropriate behaviour in our children, and appropriate consequences. Getting a sense of shared views.

- what the nanny views as appropriate activities, how they would keep the kids entertained and happy (we also expect the kids to entertain themselves a lot of the time!)

- expectations around what/how the children will be fed

- expectations around activities for the children (I'm going to research playgroups etc), and how much tv is acceptable

- nap times/routine

Both my kids still nap (3.5 and 2.3 years) and don't seem to be stopping any time soon. I'm interested to know what others expect their nannies to do around the house. Is it reasonable to assume that the nanny will a) cook a decent dinner (one of us would be getting home at 5:30pm) and keep the kitchen tidy after meals/snacks, and b) that they could wash, dry and fold the kids clothes and bedding? Would it be cheeky to organise a woolies online order to arrive on a day the nanny is there to unpack? The kids like to help so I was thinking of asking him/her to do some baking with the kids on one of the days too. Part of the experience could be going to the shops and choosing what to bake etc.

I'm ok with the kids watching up to an hour's tv while dinner is cooked (half an hour) and during another point of the day when the nanny needs a break. They also nap for minimum two hour during the day. I don't expect the kids to be constantly entertained. They certainly don't get that from us.

Also, I'm thinking of giving the nanny one of our cars (and putting him/her on our insurance) as it is all set up with correctly installed car seats etc.

Finally...... super? workers comp? How does this all work? I know I need to put a call into our house insurance too. What are people in Sydney paying as a daily rate?

Not expecting all these questions to be answered, but if you have experience of any of the above I'll say thanks in advance for the advice!

notsoretro

Have you considered using an agency? They would take care of a lot of the admin for you

Hands Up

I hadn't really thought about that. Good point. I've just looked up about tax withholding, quarterly super payments etc and it is an extra admin burden on us we really don't need right now.

Can anyone recommend an agency on Sydney's north shore?

• Like 1

Fossy

We used an agency so can’t help with the super insurance side of things. We found going through an agency very easy as they did all the vetting and payment side of things, as well as took care of any issues.

Consider what happens if you’re late, overtime rates? Time in lieu etc.

Other things to talk about, if the children are sick, when will the nanny care for them and when won’t they? Yes for a cold, no for gastro etc? If the nanny is sick? Sick leave? Will you require medical certificates?

Notice for holidays, theirs and yours.

If necessary, will you want the nanny to help toilet train?

Our nanny did activities such as swimming, gymnastics etc, as well as School and kinder drop offs. Basic shopping ie milk, bread, meat for dinner. Washing, hanging out and folding. Preparing meals, and tidying up. Basic house tidying. Things like baking was part of daily activities.

We also gave our nanny a debit card for petrol and groceries, treats etc which made it much easier rather than repaying monies.

balancing.act

Completely go through an agency.

We've found having a written job description really helpful. A conversation is good but having something written down means things don't get forgotten.

We've included things like have been mentioned above but also a list of daily/weekly/monthly tasks that we agreed on.

Good luck finding someone who is a great fit with your kids.

JBH

Just a heads up on agencies. There are two main types - referral agencies and employment agencies. A referral agency finds the nanny for you and you employ the nanny. So you usually get a short list of nannies to interview, and the agency has checked WWC checks etc. you generally pay a one off fee, and once the nanny’s probation period is over, so is your relationship with the agency. You need to organise contract, insurance, super etc, although the agency will often provide a checklist. An employment agency finds the nanny for you and employs the nanny. You don’t need to do the admin associated with employing a nanny, but you pay a premium because the agency takes ongoing fees. Often under these arrangements the agency will be able to send a replacement of your nanny is unavailable due to illness etc. So it’s a more expensive arrangement, but administratively easier.

chickendrumstick

If the kids nap for two hours, I would think that half of that would be break time for the nanny. Time for them to read/use the internet/watch tv to recharge for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

Hands Up

Yep, absolutely. And stuff like washing the kids clothes can be done while the kids are awake. I don’t expect the kids to be constantly entertained but they fight a lot so loose supervision and regular “activities “ are definitely required to ensure they give each other space.