Sign in to follow this  
PocketIcikleflakes

Disposing of modern cloth nappies

PocketIcikleflakes

My cloth nappies are done, wrecked. Does anyone know of the best way to get rid of them? They aren't good enough to sell or give away and there isn't cloth recycling available anywhere near me. Any body have any more ideas other than chuck then in the bin?

tarrie cat

I was also wondering this as we're done with them but I've got no idea how to dispose of them.

• Like 1

IamtheMumma

Any good for rags? Some charities take them to add to a rag bag which is then onsold.

• Like 2

PocketIcikleflakes

Any good for rags? Some charities take them to add to a rag bag which is then onsold.

I think they are too small for rags, but I'll call around the local charities and ask, thanks for the idea!

magnanimous

Urgh. Please bin them. No charity is so desperate for rags that they need old used nappies.

• Like 9

HRH Countrymel

I think that wrecked nappies are well and truly rags.

Use them as rags yourself then bin them.

They will NOT get recycled into rags. I've worked in multiple places where we bought and used those big bags of rags - even giant granny underpant fabric isn't in there.

If you palm them off to someone else they are only going to have to bin them themselves.

Use them as rags, then bin them.

Edited by HRH Countrymel
  • Like 1

born.a.girl

Rags, instead of paper towel.

Great to see thought going into it.

You could also ask your nearest RSPCA if they're not too far away. They always want towels etc even if they are not in great condition for animals which come in in a poor state.

• Like 2

rosie28

Use them as rags yourself for really messy jobs, then bin them. I have a couple of extra small inserts that I use in the kitchen for mopping up spills- of course they’re very absorbant, and they wash well!

• Like 3

Lallalla

I thought there was a charity that takes old nappies, fixes them up and sends them to developing countries. But I don’t remember the important details, like the name of the charity or what level of disrepair they are willing to accept (slack elastics, stains, holes in inserts, delamination... at what point is a nappy too far gone?)

• Like 1

PocketIcikleflakes

There's actually quite a good market for second hand cloth nappies that are in excellent condition but mine definitely aren't! I know a couple of people who used second hand. I think I'll use them as home rags then bin, it's the outers that were really useless, they leaked where the seams were, the middles still work.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

sueratbag

They're most likely to be cotton, which composts well. Or you can just put them on the garden as mulch - looks better if there's some other mulch on top of them. Good at suppressing weeds, and keeping soil cooler and moister. They eventually do disappear completely.

PocketIcikleflakes

I know about six are bamboo, the others just said micro fibre. I'll see if the company is still running and check on their website. Thanks for suggesting that!

KoalaTeeTime

If you know any mechanics, they go through rags like crazy.

• Like 1

PrincessPeach

Nappies on a mission

It's a name comming it mind who send nappies overseas.

but the microfibre inserts cna be used as cleaning cloths, the bamboo/hemp are compostable.

Then again people do just buy inserts if they are still in ok condition.

• Like 1

PocketIcikleflakes

Dp has discovered they are great for detailing the car :)

• Like 1