Sign in to follow this  
Lallalla

What age did your short kid grow out of 0-4 car seat?

Lallalla

I was wondering at what age do shorter kids grow out of the 0-4 car seats generally?

My very short (3% on the height charts) nephew is about to turn 5 and nowhere near growing out of his. My girls all appear to be following suit on the height thing and I’m wondering how many years we actually have left of 3 tethered car seats

Jenflea

DD's 7.5 and still in a 5 point harnessed seat, still has 2 cms till she reaches the height marker for the regular seat belt.

• Like 1

CallMeFeral

Depends on the seat. We had one that was so short they had outgrown it by 2yo. Now have one that DD won't outgrow for a looooong time.

But I have also now bought tethered seats that should last them till they are at least 10.

Kiwi Bicycle

My Mr 50% height and weight guy grew out of his just befote his 4th birthday. He's now in a harnessed to age 8 booster.

laridae

Most boosters are tethered too, so even out of the 0-4 seats you will have tethered seats.

My average height daughter (on the 50% line) was about 5 before she grew out of her 0-4 seat. We replaced it with a 0-8 harnessed seat. Which will probably last her until she is about 10.

knottygirl

CrankyM

5-6 I think. But by that time the crotch strap was the issue more then the harness. Then we ended up in an accident (not bad) and insurance replaced all the seats with type G ones. So at 9 & 7 they are still harnessed.

Knottygirl a lot of kid should still be in seats at 9 despite it being "legal" to be out of a seat at 7. My kids know they are not allocated out of car seats until they pass the 5 step test and they are likely 145cm. As for front seats I think it's actually not legal to have a child under 12 in the front seat unless all the back seats have been used.

Edited by mayahlb

Veritas Vinum Arte

With 40cm height markers mine were 5-6 years before they went into boosters (old days of 0-4 yrs seats then boosters).

My 140cm 10yo is sitting without booster on outbound seats as he passes the 5 step test. He is not allowed to sit in the middle seat as he does not pass the 5 step test for that seat, so if he wants to sit in that position must go back in a booster.

I am finally letting my eldest at 12 yrs and completed year 6 sit in the front seat.... he is also 1-2 inches taller than me.

Mayhabib it is under 7 years children can not use front seat unless all rear seats are occupied with youner/smaller children.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte
  • Like 1

LucyGoose

My small 6 year old is still just in a 0-4 seat. It is just a regular seat, she is about 115cm tall and very skinny.

Lallalla

I think the answer is, it will be a long long time before we have to upgrade seats. I’m not anticipating any of them hitting 100cm much before 5, let alone 115cm!

Thanks for all the replies

Edited by Lallalla

Pooks_

Edited by Pooks Combusted

hills mum bec

My DD was average height and she grew out of her 0-4 seat when she was 5. She is now 7.5 and in a 0-8 type G harnessed seat and won't be growing out of that for ages.

Hands Up

My extremely tall 4.5 year old is still in his. His height in his legs. I adjusted to the heighest setting two weeks ago and I reckon I’ve got another six months or so to go (will keep an eye on it, obviously). In our other car we have a maxi guard pro and will replace with the same I think when he grows out of his compaq AHR. I plan to keep in a G type seat as long as possible.

Dianalynch

Our very tall DS has just gone into a booster, he's 4 and 10 months. Most shorter kids I've known are around age 6-7 when they go to a booster.

Bethlehem Babe

Umm. 5.5 and still fits. Not a terribly tall seat as well in one car.

I’m not sure he’ll ever grow out of his maxi guard pro.

Future-self

Short DD has so much room to go in her 0-4 Neon, she’s only just at the top of the turn FF marker. She turns 4 on a few months . She’ll be going into a Maxiguard after the Neon, DS will definitely outgrow the Maxiguard and be ready to pass it on way before she’ll need it I think!!

Edited by Future-self

PrincessPeach

My average height, but long torso 4.5 year old still comfortably fits in our sns compaq with a lot of height growing room.

He is normally in a maxi guard, and has a stack of growing room left in that one - he & the 2.5 year old often play seat swaps. The scarier part is I don't need to adjust the height straps as my 2.5 year old is on the 90th percentile for height so isn't much shorter than his brother.

Mumma bug

My average height DD lasted in a Safe n Sound Compaq in my car and a Trufix in my DHs car until 5.5 years.

BornToLove

DD was nearly 7. She could have had a few more months but had a friend who needed a seat for their child. They were in a terrible situation so I gave them DD’s seat and upgraded her a bit early to a booster

wannabe30

My DD is nearly 6 and still in her Britax 0-4 seat with room to spare.

DS is 8.5 and in a type G fully-harnessed seat and will be forever and a day.

They’re both around 25th percentile.

Smoo

DS moved at nearly 5 but could have fit for longer, he didn't want to be in the baby seat any more.

I'mBeachedAs

My very short 6 year old has just out grown the markers in the sns compaq we purchased when he was a newborn. So that is one of the old type with 2 instead of 3 markers.

froglett

DS is 6 (5th percentile for height) and he’s still able to fit into the safe n sound compaq. I moved him to a type g seat though (still harnessed) so Dd could have the compaq.

He should be out by about 21 I reckon ;)

Lallalla

Ha! I’d forgotten about this old thread. Said nephew is now about to turn 6 and still fits in the under 4 seats. My dd meanwhile is 4.5 and still has so much room to grow. She’s tracking taller than him though so there is hope....

Pooks_

I’m so sorry, my fumbling fingers revived the thread!