Sign in to follow this  
PandoBox

whats normal bleeding post c sect?

PandoBox

I had my c section 5 weeks ago ( 5 weeks ago tomorrow to be exact)..and it went really well.

I have been bleeding on and off since then..it would ease and start up... and not passing any clots.

Currently still bleeding but wearing a light pad for 2 weeks now so the bleeding isn't heavy.

Today I started passing clots in the toilet..but they're not bright red..and my bleeding hasn't increased.. the clots look to be older blood and only come out in the toilet. Is this normal? The clots aren't big..about the size of a 20c-50c coin

FretfulMum

I had fairly light bleeding consistently for 2wks after my CS. Only needed ultra thin pads. Then it kinda went & I just got a random large-ish bleed every few days until about 6wks. This was more annoying as I got caught out a few times. I had a couple of very small clots after my 1st CS but none after my 2nd. Maybe mention it at your 6wk checkup but it’s probably fine

Hope28

I had very light bleeding after my first (had stopped within 1-2 weeks) and more variable but still light bleeding with my second. I never had clots though.

It's probably fine but in your situation I think I'd give the midwives at your hospital a call to make sure.

Palladium

I only had very light bleeding for a couple of weeks after mine, but I was told that the amount of bleeding following a C-section can be just as much as after a vaginal birth, so up to 6-8 weeks is normal.

They should ask about it at your 6 week check, but if you're concerned then you should get in touch with your midwives/OB/GP to get checked earlier.

Deb999

Accidentally bumped an old thread.

Edited by Deb999