qak

OOSH: Emergency Care

qak

The new provider at our school has (apparently) indicated they can "always" provide emergency care if needed at short notice. Apparently this is different different to casual places.

The old provider would always say they were full and could not provide any places (unless there were absences).

Is there some sort of exemption for emergency care? Who decides what is an emergency? Do the normal staff ratios apply?

• Like 1

MarchyMama

I'd imagine that the new provider has more casual staff available.

An emergency in my book would be something causing the parents to not be able to collect the child from school in a timely manner.

What happened in the past if there was something that came up and you couldn't get to school in time for pickup? Were the kids just left to their own devices? Or were teachers looking after them?

qak

TBH it never happened to me - minutes late a couple of times but I had friends able to look after kids until I got there.

seayork2002

I'd imagine that the new provider has more casual staff available.

An emergency in my book would be something causing the parents to not be able to collect the child from school in a timely manner.

What happened in the past if there was something that came up and you couldn't get to school in time for pickup? Were the kids just left to their own devices? Or were teachers looking after them?

This is what I would think

SeaPrincess

Our OSHC can take bookings on short notice, but it costs extra, presumably so they can get extra staff if necessary.

I think emergency care would only be provided to children who are already registered with the care provider. We had a lot of issues with children being dropped off very early, and OSHC wasn’t able to take them if they didn’t have the appropriate registration forms with things like emergency contacts, medical information, billing details, etc.

luke's mummu

I was told once by a childcare centre owner that they could always go over their registered number of kids in a family emergency. Apparently it was just a phone call to FACS stating there was a family emergency.

Agnetha

Children not picked up by 345 at our school are checked in at OSH at cost to the parents. Not sure if it's the usual price but bookings less than a week or two incur Anextra fee. I assume going over the numbers is less important than a child unattended.

BornToLove

Our school’s policy is also if not picked up by 3:45 kids go to OSHC. Parents are charged the standard fee and are contacted by the school advising that their child will be held there until they are picked up.

SeaPrincess

Children not picked up by 345 at our school are checked in at OSH at cost to the parents. Not sure if it's the usual price but bookings less than a week or two incur Anextra fee. I assume going over the numbers is less important than a child unattended.

Our school’s policy is also if not picked up by 3:45 kids go to OSHC. Parents are charged the standard fee and are contacted by the school advising that their child will be held there until they are picked up.

Is the OSHC run by the school? Are the children already enrolled? What happens with insurance? These were the issues we had with early drop offs - the OSHC was provided by an external provider, and they weren’t insured to take unregistered children and had no way of billing and recouping costs if the children were sent to them. Instead, the children were taken to the office and parents called, and an OSHC enrolment form sent home with the child. The same thing happens after school, but I’m not aware of it ever being a problem after school.

BornToLove

Is the OSHC run by the school? Are the children already enrolled? What happens with insurance?

The OSHC program at DD's school is operated by the school. Children not enrolled are still sent to OSHC as the front office isn't set up to mind children (its quite small, parts of the office are closed off so kids can't be directly supervised at all times, there is nothing for kids to do but sit and wait).

A form is sent home with the child if not already enrolled. Parents are encouaged to complete them as then they can claim the CCB/CCR benefits. The session fee is charged to the family's school account. I can't comment on insurance but they have ratios to accommodate the extra children.

Agnetha

Our OSH is run by an external group on school premises. Office staff are not for OSH. Parents are contacted

SeaPrincess

^ I agree, office staff aren’t for childcare, but how does the external provider get paid for caring for children that aren’t enrolled with them? And what if something happens - the child has an allergy they don’t know about and they eat something they shouldn’t?

I don’t have a problem with children sitting doing nothing while they wait for their tardy parents. Once the school passes the problem on to OSHC, and a few people get free care because there’s no way of enforcing payment, there’s no reason for habitually late people to get there on time.

• Like 1