Whitters

Do any mums on here do babysitting/child minding?

Whitters

I’m 43 and have 4 children aged 17, 16, almost 15 and 8.

I’ve recently been looking at ways that I could earn a little extra money to make life a little easier financially though I already work full time and don’t really want a regular evening job like night packing unless it is something I can do from home such as typing.

I suddenly thought back to when I was younger and recall my mum babysitting for two families in our street and I suddenly realized that that could work perfectly for me as my youngest daughter stays with her Dad every second weekend. I’m only really after one night per week or even fortnight.

I also thought given I drive and have the experience of 4 children of my own, I might be even more sought after to a teenager.

Can anyone suggest how I should go about it? I intend on initially advertising on our school FB page.

I’ll also organize a police check and should I then obtain references from friends whose children have spent time with me?? I haven’t done any babysitting since I was 17 for actual babysitting references.

Also, I only want to charge the same as a teenager as I understand the cost to families of going out. I don’t want to charge more just because I’m older.

Can anyone confirm what the going rate is for an 18 year old with license for 1-2 children? A girl I know said she gets $20-$25 per hour depending on the family.

Any suggestions or advice would be sincerely appreciated x

• Like 2

SeaPrincess

$20-25 is right. Adult minimum wage is currently at $18.29/hour, so don’t sell yourself short.

I’ve found my babysitters on findababysitter and weneedananny websites, and I’ve kept them for up to 2 years for regular school drop off/pick up.

Whitters

Thank you so much!

tweedle-dee

Can you move into my street, your services would be like a dream come true for this household!

• Like 2

Mummy_Em

I babysat for an agency. They had copies of my first aid, WWCC and police clearance. Parents contacted them and then the agency sent me a text to offer me the job, I could say yes or no. The families paid me $25/hour cash and then paid a fee to the agency. I usually got a job every second weekend.

melanieb530

I think the agency suggestion could be a good one as it will offer you flexibility. Not sure where you are but I used Victorian Babysitting for my children (recommended by a friend) when I was on holiday in Melbourne with my children and they sent me a lovely mature lady.

Edited by melanieb530

Whitters

Thank you ladies.

Do you all think a first aid certificate is a definite necessity? I hadn't thought of that...

Also what would you personally pay an 18 year old if they came to your house to look after:

1 child

2 children

3 children

4 children

Thank you again for the feedback it is hugely appreciated!

Tweedle-dee ha ha ha I always remember how much my mum was loved by the families in her street (they were mostly Dr's and constantly going to functions, dinners etc) plus she was always available.

My only concern is saying no to people if they ask on a weekend that I have my 8 year old with me, though perhaps if I do childminding for school families she may even be able to come with me on the odd occasion if the family was really stuck.

Fossy

We have found some on find a babysitter, but our best ones have been locals who have letter box dropped, so that might be an option for some local work? Or on the notice board at the local supermarket or even the school newsletter?

I have only hired people who have working with children check and current first aid, and paid between $15 and $25 depending on the job/time/number of kids.

If you go on to find a babysitter and look up your area you can get an idea what the going rate around you.

SeaPrincess

For 3 children, I have paid an 18-yo $20/hour. At the time, she didn’t have a licence, but she lived close enough to walk here and home, and it was during school holidays. I’ve never paid or been asked for more for having more children - the hourly rate is the hourly rate. I pay for the entire time, and I would expect to pay extra after midnight. I had one daytime nanny who charged double on weekends. She didn’t do any weekend work for us.

For an ongoing job, I’ve always look for first aid and WWCC. One of our babysitters was a qualified swimming teacher, which made me more comfortable leaving the children with her supervising when we had just moved into a house with a pool.

Edited by SeaPrincess

Hollycoddle

I babysat for an agency. They had copies of my first aid, WWCC and police clearance. Parents contacted them and then the agency sent me a text to offer me the job, I could say yes or no. The families paid me $25/hour cash and then paid a fee to the agency. I usually got a job every second weekend.

I did this years ago when I was at uni. It was perfect as you could just pick and choose the jobs you wanted dependent on what else was going on at the time. A lot were also evening babysitting jobs, you were allowed to do study once the children were asleep.

Whitters

Perfect thanks so much everyone!

Currently applying for my WWCC - it takes 4 weeks :( and looking into some local first aid courses.

Somewhere deep in the cupboards I still have babysitting references from when I was 17 ha ha ha but in all serious should I perhaps ask a couple of Mum's for whom I have had their children over for play dates etc for a character reference in the interim?

• Like 1

Schmig

You are exactly what I have been looking for- someone who could do some babysitting on some weekends. I am very flexible with when I go out (only wanting some time to go to a movie or dinner with DH). I think this would be a great idea for you.

For me a WWCC is a must and first aid certificate would be a great idea. References would also be a must.

Good luck!

Sui-yat

I'm another person who would love to hire you. I'm not sure where you are located but if you are in Sydney or Melbourne, I would advertise on Juggle Street. It is a website where people can find babysitters and is quite popular in my area.

I would charge $20-$25 per hour.

Dianalynch

Yes, agree current character references would be better. My WWC took less than 4 weeks, around 2, so you might have good luck. First aid and police checks are standard as well.

I hope your new venture goes well for you op. :)

Grrrumbles

First Aid certificate is a must for me and why I only use current child care workers as my children are younger.

For me it is because my oldest has asthma but I would expect anyone babysitting to have current first aid skills.

To be honest your limited availability might be a downside for some families who want a bit of continuity and have kids that struggle to deal with new people but popular babysitters are often booked out anyway so this may not be a big issue. Sometimes I am flexible eg just want a night out, other times it is for a specific event. I often want someone to start around 6pm to have them there before bedtime for my youngest, is this something you could do on Fridays if you have been at work?

seayork2002

One thing I think of when I hear this is all the red tape/paperwork needed so do you need WWC's, references, police checks, council checks on home safety, does your mortgage (if any) and or insurances need to change re working from home, etc etc.

The above are questions I am asking ie I don't know the answers myself!

seayork2002

First Aid certificate is a must for me and why I only use current child care workers as my children are younger.

For me it is because my oldest has asthma but I would expect anyone babysitting to have current first aid skills.

To be honest your limited availability might be a downside for some families who want a bit of continuity and have kids that struggle to deal with new people but popular babysitters are often booked out anyway so this may not be a big issue. Sometimes I am flexible eg just want a night out, other times it is for a specific event. I often want someone to start around 6pm to have them there before bedtime for my youngest, is this something you could do on Fridays if you have been at work?

I am not debating this aspect as such (ie I am not having a go) but I don't have a first aid certificate and I have my own child why is one needed to look after others?

Hollycoddle
I am not debating this aspect as such (ie I am not having a go) but I don't have a first aid certificate and I have my own child why is one needed to look after others?

I would argue that even if you have your own children it's wise to have one. Best practice in First Aid changes from time to time so it's good to keep on top of it. CPR is especially important, IMO absolutely everyone should know how to do it.

Edited by Mollycoddle
  • Like 2

seayork2002

I would argue that even if you have your own children it's wise to have one. Best practice in First Aid changes from time to time so it's good to keep on top of it. CPR is especially important, IMO absolutely everyone should know how to do it.

I am not debating the having one - it is a very good idea!!!!! it is the idea of people HAVE to have one

I am planning on getting one due to helping out at cubs/scouts but have not got around to it yet so this is a good reminder

Hollycoddle

I am not debating the having one - it is a very good idea!!!!! it is the idea of people HAVE to have one

It possibly covers off on some of the legalities should something happen while you have someone else's child in your care (aside from the obvious benefit of being able to save a life, of course!). I know in some situations it can be legally tricky if someone jumps in to assist if they aren't trained - not that it would stop any decent person doing so anyway.

Edited by Mollycoddle
  • Like 1

Whitters

I am really lucky and work from home most of the time so yes, I could do a 6pm start, or 5:30pm if needed.

Grrrumbles

I dont have a current first aid cert either but as i have been caring for my child in hospital they made sure both parents could correctly use an inhaler, monitor progress and determine when to go to hospital. I know this because i am my child’s mother but not every mother would know so that’s why i prefer training.