elawood

Is anyone in this boat?

elawood

I am cautiously approaching my next TTC journey after a tfmr at 13 weeks last year and then an induced miscarriage at 19 weeks in June.

We've since found out it is probably a genetic syndrome - but they are still trying to identify the gene. We know it's lethal though.

If they can identify, we could do PGD with IVF but I'm not sure we're up for the emotional (and financial) rollercoaster - also if they don't find the gene, we're back to square one.

Our odds are 1 ind 4 so I think we are leaning towards trying naturally one more time. Hoping the genetics team call us next month to give results. If they find the gene we can have a CVS at 13 weeks to confirm healthy or affected.... but there's a good possibility it will be inconclusive and there are no prenatal tests to have except ultrasounds - which last time didn't show anything till 19 weeks.

Anyone else have this much baggage for their latest TTC journey? I'm also 38 to add a screaming deadline to everything....

I found myself accidentally (but happy about it) pregnant last year and I had no idea the journey I was about to take. I was so naive and thought it would all just happen - especially after falling pregnant very quickly. That innocence is totally gone now!

boatiebabe

Not in this boat but couldn't just go past without commenting.

I wish you good luck in your future journey!

BBC

To me I think it comes down to how you feel about another loss. If you know you couldn't bear it, then that's a decision made.

If you could, then you could try naturally and take the risk. The odds are on your side, and time is not. iVF with PGD would involve a fair bit of waiting I expect.

once you have the latest test results it may make the path clearer, too.

Sorry you are dealing with this.

• Like 1

rosie28

I'm not in that boat but a friend of mine was successful in having her dodgy (her word) gene located and will undergo IVF with PGD when she wants kids. She was pessimistic but apparently they have a 70% success rate. Hers is a heart condition which, which not always fatal, certainly can be and it is a serious condition to live with. She would have a 50% chance of passing it on so isn't willing to take the risk.

There's some good buddy groups for IVF on here, jump in and I'm sure the ladies will give you the benefit of their experience.

Cimbom

We're in this boat and not having kids as the genes haven't been identified for the particular conditions. I'm 32 so unless they are known in the next few years that will unfortunately be our situation. Our chances are roughly 1 in 3 for one issue and 1 in 2 for the other so it's pretty bad odds. Wishing you all the best with the journey