Avidreader

Can’t find before and after school carer

Avidreader

Hi

We live in the Sutherland Shire (Sydney) and have been trying for months to find a before and after school carer for Thursday and Friday starting next year. Despite adverting in ‘weneedananny’ and ‘findababysitter’ we have had no luck. In fact four times(!) we confirmed interviews and then the applicants just didn’t show up. Is there anywhere else you can suggest to try or would anyone know if someone who may be interested? We’ve also tried gumtree.

Thanks!

Sentient Puddle

We have a local facebook buy sell and swap group that people advertise similar services on. What about your local Uni or Tafe? The Uni I went to had an employment service that you could advertise on and also notice boards around campus.

SeaPrincess

I’ve had success with both of those sites, but it’s frustrating. I posted my own ad, and also contacted at least a dozen carers each time. Some don’t respond, some have out of date information on their profiles and aren’t actually available.

I’ve also seen ads on my local FB chat page for businesses and for individuals who offer care.

watergirl

Hi OP,

Join the Facebook Group "Sydney Nannies, Au Pairs, Babysitters and Mothers Helpers". You might find someone in that group?

Avidreader

Careforkids looks like child care centres rather than nannies. Unfortunately I am limited in posting in FB as our current hopeless nanny is my FIL but if I post on FB he and all the family see the ad!

Sentient Puddle

Careforkids looks like child care centres rather than nannies. Unfortunately I am limited in posting in FB as our current hopeless nanny is my FIL but if I post on FB he and all the family see the ad!

You can have admin of Facebook groups post anonymously on your behalf. Some of the better Facebook groups I have been on have done this - particularly when people have been seeking slightly sensitive information etc.

• Like 1

Madeline's Mum

You could try searching on the Sydney au pair and nannies facebook page for an au pair with some spare time who might like to pick up some extra hours :)

needs to get out

In our area, the council administers family daycare schemes, and some family daycarers offer before and after school care. Try contacting local family day daycare schemes.

• Like 1

Gerbra Girl

There is a new service advertising on Facebook in the shire called Gran Nannies. Maybe look them up.

Orangecake

agree closer to the time you would get more interest.

I'd also check with the school or other parents. I know at our school there are some after school nannies that only work some days and are happy to pick up extra days for families nearby, especially since they already know the school and general routine. You might also have more luck dividing up the shifts, e.g. morning shift and afternoon shift. Good luck

mylittlemen

Are you offering enough hours to make it worthwhile for someone? We have had success in the past by adding a few extra hours and asking for things like the sheets to be changed and ironing to be done (basically paying for more hours than we need for this but people also need minimum shift lengths)

• Like 2

BBC

The school may know of people.

Green Sage

I second looking at family day care in your area. Their legal ratios change for school aged kids and a lot of them do before and after school care and do pick ups as well. You might be able to find someone who suits your requirements.

Also post a notice at the school, there maybe a local parent that's willing to pick your kids up/drop them off, for a bit of extra cash.

CrankyM

Family daycares, or even ask the local daycare centers. Most of the afterschool and before school care is run by the local daycare centers here. They pick the kids up and transport them to places off-site. The same with the family daycare people who live close to the different primary schools in our area.

Edited by mayahlb

Avidreader

Thanks everyone. We need a nanny rather than family day care as the kids do activities after school and the role includes making dinner and helping them with homework etc. Having another parent drop them off also doesn’t work as no one will be here to look after them! We can’t offer extra hours as we already did this to get a carer/ housekeeper for all day Monday and Tuesday.

I’ll try the anonymous Facebook idea and perhaps leave a sign at the library and see how I go! My FIL nanny is driving me crazy so I would love this to be sorted but I may have to be patient!

Edited by Avidreader

born.a.girl

I wonder if you might have more success closer to the time or in March when uni students know their timetable? This is the sort of job my eldest would love ( not in your area, though), but until she knows her hours wouldn't be able to commit.

Very good point.

If the OP needs it for school starting at the beginning of Feb though, that makes it tricky.

lozoodle

Do they run it at the school at all? My kids have it at their public primary school in the shire (PM me if you want info), and during the holidays lots of kids also come along from other schools for the vacation care. What school are you going to be at?

Nobodyelse

You can tweak your privacy settings on FB so your FIL and family can't see the ad. When you post, hit the privacy options next to 'POST' and select 'friends except'. Then you just type in the names of all the people you don't want to see the post.

Bing bang bongo.

sqawk

As someone who has employed many nannies/after school nannies over the years, I think you r advertising too early. I wouldn't advertise til Jan or Feb.