fiveducks

what is the best pain relief straight after c section spinal wears off?

fiveducks

Edited by InOmniaParatus

22Fruitmincepies

I was offered all sorts, from endone to paracetamol. However I didn’t actually need anything as I had no pain. I suppose I’m in the minority (and in a few weeks we will find out if I can have a second miraculous pain-free c-section), but be aware that it can happen.

• Like 1

AnotherFeral

Did your friends labour before their CSs? Because the difference in discomfort and recovery time between emergency and elective CS for me was like night & day. I don't think the pain will be nearly as bad as they are describing.

And IME the OB prescribes both painkillers and anti-inflamatories. An opioid + voltaren at first. Raise your concerns with the OB/midwife. I think if they give you an explanation of how post-op pain is managed you will be reassured.

• Like 1

PrimaBallerina

You defiantly want to stay on top of the pain meds.

I found in hospital this was easy and i don't recall being in pain in hospital. For the first 24 hours I was still hooked up to the spinal med and had a pump i could push when I needed more relief then once that was taken off I was on a mix of antiiflammatories, tramadol and panadol but the nurses were good at coming in on schedule so I had no issues there. I react to some painkillers badly and personally had not side effect with these.

The problem I had was when I was home and one night i fell asleep without taking any and then the baby woke for a feed and i ended up in so much pain so made sure I took pain killer if needed prior to getting the baby after that!

For whats its worth though with my second I had so little pain that after the first few days I only needed panadol. It can be so individual how you find it.

DaLittleEd

I didn't have much pain afterwards. I had a few panadols over my stay in hospital.

When I got home I had more pain as I had to do more. I found nurofen and panadol was adequate to manage it. I need some type of pain relief about once a day for 3 weeks after getting home from hospital.

• Like 1

little lion

I think I had tramadol, ibuprofen and paracetamol. You shouldn’t have to worry about being in pain afterwards. Your ob will wrote you up for several pain relief options and the midwives will assess your pain — be honest with them if you’re feeling pain! If what they’ve given isn’t satisfactory then they can try other meds.

• Like 1

Chelsea Rogers

I took all the meds they offered me which was endone, panadeine forte and I think panadol towards the end of the week..

I was ok at home though once I left but made the most of my stay while I had the time to rest.. I had a 15month old at home so it was like a rest...

Odd-1-Out

I had tramadol, endone and panadol

Bono25

I had morphine charted for the first 24 hours if I needed it, but the endone was enough. Loved endone,best of slept in ages :-) also had votaren,and another one that called targen I think, it was an opiate that also had a laxative in it. I think I had that after I stopped on the endone and also had a script to take home. The only time I had a heap of pain was when I rolled over wrong in bed. Felt like I'd ripped myself apart.

Just take it easy,take what they give you, and be honest if you need more

Edited because I apparently can't write in the middle of the night :)

Edited by kiarra67
  • Like 2

mumto4boys

I had 4 c sections. After the first one, 28 years ago, the protocols changed and they started leaving the spinal block in for 24 hours. The very idea of that freaked me out. I always wanted to get the feeling back in my legs and get that catheter out.

So I had the doctor write special orders to have all intravenous lines/ catheter etc out by the end of the first day (approx 12 hours after). I wanted to be up, walking and taking myself to the toilet.

Each time I had 1-2 pain relief injections. These lasted about 6 hours each, although they made me a little vague, often repeating myself to DH. But after that, by 24 hours after the birth, panadol was enough.

My youngest is 21 and nobody ever mentioned not driving to me, so I was certainly driving within the first 10 days, once DH went back to work.

While these CS were medically indicated, they weren't emergency situations and of course, everyone is different.

If you're in pain, let someone know. They will sort you out.

Jax12

I’m currently day five post c section (with a spinal block). They’ll give you slow release pain meds and then top up as needed. By day five I have been weened to just Panadol, with the option of anti inflammatories as needed. Stronger pain relief in the first few days was something that went under the tongue (I can’t recall what it was, but an opiate or some kind I’m pretty sure) and tramadol. But I’d definitely recommend taking enough pain meds to keep on top of it - they can usually always offer you more if needed. I took a lot of pain meds prior to getting up for the first time so that that process was as easy as possible - this is my 3rd c section and keeping on top of the pain is much easier than trying to get it back once you let it go, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

FretfulMum

I've had 2 CSs and both times I was prescribed Targin (slow release opioid) twice daily for 3 days, paracetamol 4x/day & Endone whenever necessary. I found the pain meds very helpful. My 1st was more painful than my 2nd & I hardly needed to ask for any Endone with my 2nd CS. Once I was home I was managing fine just taking paracetamol.

Feral Grey Mare

Don't you just love people who tell you how bad everything is going to be?

I had 2 c/s: one being an emergency and one planned with 24 hours notice. I don't recall the pain being too unbearable and it was roughly the same for both. I had the self-administered pain relief for both but asked to have it removed after the first 12 hours as it was a nuisance ( I kept getting tangled in it!). I also had some anti inflammatory suppositories which worked like magic.

Panadol was also my new best friend.

You will be given a range of options and be in the care of people who will be able to advise you which will work best for you. Best not to overthink this and just go with the flow.

• Like 1

chickenpants

I'm like a PP that had pretty much no pain at all afterward, and most movement without issue or discomfort.

While in hospital the midwives popped round every few hours for their obs and gave me a pill or two to take - they alternated endone and panadol.

When I went home I think I took panadol once, on the first or second day, but that was it.

Mine was an emergency but I had no labour beforehand, friends of mine that have had a c-section after labouring for several hours were in much more discomfort afterward due to muscular soreness as well as the incision.

Veritas Vinum Arte

I was not given a choice. I was just told what the anaesthesiologist ordered for me. I just asked the nurses what the schedule was and would buzz every 4/6/8 hrs for the meds.

I had 3 cs (2 emerg as labour had started), the only time I was ever in pain was when the physio (3rd cs) told me I was getting out of bed "wrong" and forced me to do it another way (which caused huge amount of pain). I had to have a morpheine shot after that (as did many other patients- I think the physio was totally wrong as what she said contradicted what I had been told after my other 2).

I was desperately waiting my spinal to wear off so I could get up. I wanted to walk around within 3hrs but was forced to wait 9/10hrs. I never was in huge pain, but admittedly took whatever pain meds offered on schedule.

a letter to Elise.

I've had 3 c sections. My first and third were the most painful. Second wasn't too bad, though I did have one bad episode after I waited too long to do a wee because I had visitors. When I stood up I nearly passed out, so definitely don't hold on if you need to go!

The first one, I'd laboured for 27 hours, so I think that's why it was so bad. I also live in a house with lots of stairs, and stairs are a bit tricky afterwards. Pain relief at the hospital was epidural, topped up with morphine. When that wore off, I had endone, panadol, and Voltaren, with a couple of morphine shots. Once home, I had panadeine and Voltaren, then switched to panadol and nurofen.

Second, I had the same medications. It was a lot more manageable, and I was reasonably comfortable after about a week.

Third time around, I couldn't take voltaren or nurofen, as I've developed an intolerance. Initially I had morphine, then they switched to endone and panadol. I was still in a lot of pain, so they switched to targin, panadol, and the occasional endone. I went home with the same meds for about 3 days, then moved to panadeine, then panadol.

It was significantly more painful third time around. I think the anti inflammatories make a big difference. I also had a lot of pelvis and joint issues from the pregnancy, so I think that contributed to the pain.

If you are in a lot of pain, they'll review your meds, and work out a different plan for you. Same if the pain isn't too bad, you can take a bit less. Everyone is different, but even if it's bad, it's still manageable, and the hospital will help you find the best combo of pain relief. The worst of it is over within the first 2-3 days.

FuzzyChocolateToes

The midwives looking after you will be familiar with the efficacy and the side effects of the various pain medications available. They will be able to guide you on what will help based on your pain levels at the time.

Constipation is a common side effect. I don't like lactulose myself as it often causes gassiness. Osmolax is a good alternative.

rosie28

You'll be offered what your dr thinks is appropriate, not so much given a choice (though it's always your right to refuse).

I was hardly in any pain after my second c section, and while I was in pain after my first that was mostly as a result of uterine massage to control a PPH. It's not a certainty that you'll be in heaps of pain. 24 hours post my second I was on panadol and voltaren.

Bearynice

I didn't labour before hand, but about 12 hours after I was up and out of bed and shuffling about.

I kept up on pain meds, but it was just panadol and endone.

Buy the third day I think it was just Panadol. I had discomfort but not pain.

I think everyone's pain is different. If you are anxious about it, I'm sure you could speak to someone at the hospital clinic about some of the common medications used to manage pain post op.

Green Sage

I haven't had a C-sect. But my sisters ob sewed some sort of local anaesthetic into the wound which makes a big difference. She said it's commonly used in any abdominal surgery but often not used for c-sections (maybe because women are expected to just soldier on???)

Maybe someone with a medical background can expand upon what it actually was.

I'd be asking for that. It sounds better than any pill for the first 24 hours.

Soontobegran

I haven't had a C-sect. But my sisters ob sewed some sort of local anaesthetic into the wound which makes a big difference. She said it's commonly used in any abdominal surgery but often not used for c-sections (maybe because women are expected to just soldier on???)

Maybe someone with a medical background can expand upon what it actually was.

I'd be asking for that. It sounds better than any pill for the first 24 hours.

edit........ Just realised thanks to TB that your sister had a TAP. I think it is a pity that these are not used commonly.

C/S women are not supposed to soldier on though it's just that there is a completely different set of muscles that are accessed for upper abdominal surgery than lower and muscles are not cut for a C/S....they are split so it tends to mean less damage to the nerves and thus less pain. ( supposedly )

The abdominal organs are not touched at all during a C/S.

Edited by Soontobegran

Soontobegran

OP this is something you need to discuss with your anaesthetist at your pre op visit. They all have different protocols but it will be based on your history usually ( allergies etc )

By day 3 you are generally not requiring constant opiate pain relief and by the time you get home Panadol and Voltaren are a common order with allowance for some breakthrough pain with Endone in most cases.

WaitForMe

Some surgeons will inject some local into a wound but it really only lasts about the same time frame as a spinal anaesthetic perhaps a little longer. I had local injected into many wounds and it is nice for a few hours but won't lessen the need for other analgesics after this.

C/S women are not supposed to soldier on it's just that there is a completely different set of muscles that are accessed for upper abdominal surgery than lower and muscles are not cut for a C/S....they are split so it tends to mean less damage to the nerves and thus less pain. ( supposedly )

The abdominal organs are not touched at all during a C/S.

I don't think thats entirely accurate.

When I raised concerns I may have pushed things too fast, an OB said something along the following to me: "We stitch you up really tight because we know you'll be wanting to be able to tend to your baby. If you had the same surgery for any other reason, there is no way you would be up and about as soon as you are for a c/sect".

TrixieBelden

Lucky mummy I think you mean TAP blocks - tiny plastic catheters stitched in usually after a laparotomy and local anaesthetic is given down them. If you google csection and TAP blocks you can read about them.

c.sanders

This time around i was given morphine and I hated morphine. Made me nauseated, vomit, very out of it. Did nothing for pain relief. First 2 times I just had endone and voltaren and ended up back on endone this time too as soon as the feelings returned. They thought the morphine would have taken the edge off but it didn't. Anyway. Endone and voltaren are pretty great. Also got some panadol occasionally. Was off endone by day 2 all 3 times. Then it was just panadol and voltaren. Panadeine if I was feeling really bad.

Planned c-sections are amazing. I'm not good with pain but the way it's done it is very manageable. Just make sure the drugs are in full effect for your first shower. I made that mistake with ds2 where I had forgotten to take it. With ds3 I was up and about showering and pooping the next day no laxatives required.