Caribou

help! urgent info needed, composite classes, Tell me the good and the bad!

Caribou

Apparently DD's class next year is composite (yr 1/2) and I'm overall feeling unhappy about this. worse I only found out that there's a meeting about it at school tonight (and that's another story)

I need experience, info, anything anyone can give me regarding this. I feel it's not appropriate for such young years, but I need to try go with an open mind.

I have 2 hours to get my info together! Help please!

seayork2002

Not sure if this helps but in NSW Year one and two is 'Stage one' so IMO I would have no issue with this grouping as (coming a from a parents point of view) the separate years work together in my sons school so it would make sense to me to combine them.

Again not sure if this helps or not

• Like 4

Caribou

Not sure if this helps but in NSW Year one and two is 'Stage one' so IMO I would have no issue with this grouping as (coming a from a parents point of view) the separate years work together in my sons school so it would make sense to me to combine them.

Again not sure if this helps or not

thats what they're essentially calling it how does it change things?

whats different to stage 1 vs yr 1 +2?

seayork2002

thats what they're essentially calling it how does it change things?

whats different to stage 1 vs yr 1 +2?

To be honest I did not notice a difference at all really (again I say this as a parent) well little things bit nothing that would have worried me if our school did composite for these years (we do for 5/6 though)

Greatmum

My kids were in composite a few times no dramas. As others said it is stage one so all learning the same things anyway.

• Like 1

Seven of Nine

Why are you feeling unhappy? What are your concerns? Put together a list of your worries and maybe the school will be able to address them for you.

• Like 2

Crazyone26989

A 1/2 composite is easy to manage. The kids will be learning the same things for science, pdhpe, history, geography and creative arts anyway. Most schools have an alternating program for those areas and you do half the topics for each subject in a year and the rest are done the following year. Of course the Teacher would be providing support or extra work/extension in a straight year 1 or year 2 class and would in a 1/2.

Maths and literacy should also not be an issue. Kids are all at different points and the teacher will accomodate this. In maths the year 2's will be working towards higher level outcomes but the overall concept will be the same - the year 2's will just be given more complex work (if they need it). Basically student needs are catered for just the same as when in a straight class.

Composites become difficult when they are across two stages eg. A 4/5 class. This is because they don't do the same topics/content in some areas.

Also, it is often common to put a more experienced teacher on a composite so that could be a plus!

Edited by crazyone2989
  • Like 7

kirtyw

don't stress.

In a composite there will be a greater age range (by about 12 months)

There. That's it. That's the difference.

I love the fact, and say it over and over to parents that have straight vs composite questions.

The year at school with the single most variation in abilities is FYOS. And generally that is a straight year level.

Relax.

• Like 7

Fifteenyears

Both of my kids were in 1/2 composites (their only composite experience to date) and IME they work very well. I was worried too at first. But my kids' school handles them very well. The school mostly has straight classes and only runs a composite when they need to for numbers.

They tend to fill the class with kids that are good independent learners (although they don't then go on to expect them to learn independently). Kids are clustered in groups for maths and literacy (just as they are in regular classes) and they do the 'content' stuff (science and HSIE together) as the school has a scope and sequence that goes across the stage anyway.

Not Escapin Xmas

I'm not quite sure why you are freaking out? Did you have a bad experience when you were a kid?

DD is in a kindy/Y1 split this year. She's a Y1. It works absolutely fine. Her teacher is fantastic, all the kids have individual work plans and DD has really come along.

Deep breaths required I think :)

• Like 1

Caribou

We went with this school bc class sizes were small. We’re going from 10 kids to 23 when they combine. We feel DAd benefitted better with smaller classes. Maybe were wrong. We’re about to find out.

Caribou

I'm not quite sure why you are freaking out? Did you have a bad experience when you were a kid?

DD is in a kindy/Y1 split this year. She's a Y1. It works absolutely fine. Her teacher is fantastic, all the kids have individual work plans and DD has really come along.

Deep breaths required I think :)

Mostly bc they blindsided me with this as in, ‘oh hi. Your DD will be in composite class next year, oh by the way meeting is tonight.’ Have has no time to absorb it and get my head around it.

Edited by MadnessCraves
  • Like 1

Lucrezia Bauble

I'd write all your concerns down Op so you have them clear in your head.

I hear mixed reports on composites although I must say - I hear more positive stories than negatives.

What I would like to know - from teachers - is: in an ideal world, where you had all the teachers and classrooms you needed - would you *opt* for a composite - for both yourself as a teacher, and for your students? Or - is it a solution to a problem? Perhaps an acceptable solution, but is it a compromise position?

Lallalla

I was in a composite in year 2 in a 1/2 class and then in year 3 I was in a 3/4 class. My school also had a whole class of each grade. I remember the other year 2 class got to do “cooler” (in my 7 year old mind) things but then we did cooler stuff in 3/4. If she is a bright spark she may do well being challenged in with older kids, if she needs more help/time than some kids she might do well in with younger kids.

But then maybe my experience was related to the teachers involved (my parents taught at the school and I know from when I got older my year 2 teacher was odd whereas they liked the other year 2 teacher/my year 3 teacher).

I was also moved schools the following year and I know the small year group was part of the reasoning.

José

Mostly bc they blindsided me with this as in, ‘oh hi. Your DD will be in composite class next year, oh by the way meeting is tonight.’ Have has no time to absorb it and get my head around it.

Its not a big deal.

I think its gteat they have offered to.hold a meeting to discuss iit. Also great its being held so soon. If they delayed the meeting it would allow this frenzy to continue and people would have their distress prolonged without the opportunity to discuss it with school leadership.

If you havent got your head around it yet just stop and take some deep slow breaths.

Edited by José
  • Like 1

Caribou

Its not a big deal.

I think its gteat they have offered to.hold a meeting to discuss iit. Also great its being held so soon. If they delayed the meeting it would allow this frenzy to continue and people would have their distress prolonged without the opportunity to discuss it with school leadership.

Its a bit short notice. I have a six month old I can't leave (breastfeeding), the 6yo is usually in bed by 8 and the meeting is 7:30. the usual babysitters are unavailable and my husband is out of area.

I think they could have given a few days notice than just evening of.

While composite classes may not be a big of a deal to you, awesome, I am seeking to find research and experience to ensure that it is not a big a of a deal.

I have questions I'd like to ask, and I'd have liked to have had ore time to do research than have their opinion given without me being able to ask questions. I'm researching and trying to keep 6m happy at the same time, by asking I was hoping it would speed up my research process.

Crazyone26989

We went with this school bc class sizes were small. We’re going from 10 kids to 23 when they combine. We feel DAd benefitted better with smaller classes. Maybe were wrong. We’re about to find out.

Unfortunately if it's a public school they are at the mercy of the department of education regarding class numbers.

The school is allocated teachers based on the total number of students and sometimes a composite is the only way they can make it work. 10 is tiny and I can see why 23 would seem a big jump but it's the norm.

• Like 4

Gruffalo's Child

Our school has composite classes for all but FYOS, they are group in 1/2, 3/4, 5/6. It hasn’t caused any issues at all academically and socially, it has just made the school feel more like a community as the kids get to know the kids in the years above and below them.

• Like 10

Riotproof

Madnesscraves, do you have a friend who is going?

José

Im interested to know more about this school, eg total size, government or not.

It would be rare to.find a school that has class sizes of ten kids for each class and grade. How could that be funded!?

• Like 2

Gudrun

All my four were in multi-age grades and composites throughout primary school.

It was school policy and I thought they were great. More flexibility within the class and more options progressing to the next year.

I think these days in Vic at least schools go with composites or revert to straight grades if the school is very big and it's easier for them that way.

I would have loved vertical groupings at secondary school for my kids too, but it wasn't on offer around here at the time.

I don't see why you need notice. Relax and let your daughter enjoy it.

Edited by Gudrun
  • Like 1

José

While composite classes may not be a big of a deal to you, awesome, I am seeking to find research and experience to ensure that it is not a big a of a deal.

I have questions I'd like to ask, and I'd have liked to have had ore time to do research than have their opinion given without me being able to ask questions. I'm researching and trying to keep 6m happy at the same time, by asking I was hoping it would speed up my research process.

Its not just that its not a big deal to me.

Its just not a big deal.

Being in a composite doesnt lead to worse educational or any other outcomes.

• Like 5

Mooples

The school will surely understand that you (and probably a few others) won’t be able to attend the meeting at such short notice and should be happy to meet with you at another time to discuss your questions and concerns.

Going from 10 to 23 kids is a big change I’d be asking how they plan on managing the change especially for your dd - I think she has sn?

I’ve taught both composites and straight grades. In terms of teaching and learning it’s very similar because there is always going to be a wide range of learning needs and levels so in terms of what she is being taught it won’t change, if anything she will cover more in her learning.

José

Its not just that its not a big deal to me.

Its just not a big deal.

Being in a composite doesnt lead to worse educational or any other outcomes.

Holly298

don't stress.

In a composite there will be a greater age range (by about 12 months)

There. That's it. That's the difference.

I love the fact, and say it over and over to parents that have straight vs composite questions.

The year at school with the single most variation in abilities is FYOS. And generally that is a straight year level.

Relax.

My friend took her 6 year old out of a 1/2 composite class as there were quite a few kids with a 2 year age gap - 6 year olds in year 1, 8 year olds in year 2 and she found the older kids were taking over the class and the teacher spent most of her time with them and her DS suffered so OP just ask with a class that big if they will have teachers aides or other help and if there will be big age gaps and how they will handle it all