Sign in to follow this  
PandoBox

Body after c section, does everyone have the flap?

PandoBox

Hopefully Its not a big deal that I'm starting a whole new thread but I figured its a completely separate topic from recovery.

Im interested to know from those of you who have had c sections, if everyone gets the dreaded stomach flap that they can't get rid of ?

Whoever finds out about my c section tells me this and that my stomach will never look the same without a tummy tuck.

Ultimately whatever happens happens, but I'm curious to know from women who have had c sections... if this pouch/ flap can be minimised/removed with some hard work and healthy eating?

EDIT: I just realised there is a whole new section for body after birth :blush:

Edited by PandoBox

KnightsofNi

I did.

PocketIcikleflakes

I don't have a c section flap. Two c sections. I've got a bulge under my belly button but it's a long way away from the scar and not in any way related. It's just too many cupcakes lol.

• Like 1

Hummingbird82

I had a c section in 2011 and a year later my stomach was pretty flat with no flap. I didn't exercise other than walking my DS in the pram. A few of my friends have had c sections too and not been left with a flap.

HolierThanCow

I have a bit of overhang, but I had that after my vaginal birth too. My sister has had two VB and has the same thing.

I think it's genetic. It looked worse after the first c-section but changed over the following year. I had swelling that went down over time.

Luci

I have had 3 c-sections and do not have a flap.

c.sanders

I do but it's the least of my problems overall with my health and body. :(

Edited by c.sanders

sunshine_days

l've had 2 c/sections and you wouldn't even know it. Even the scar is right on the hairline and faint (l had them in in 2005 and 2006.

mumofsky

Mine looked a bit flappish at first and then went away with time.

harryhoo

I had two vaginal births. But carried both babies very low. As a result I have some excess wrinkly skin that I guess might be considered a flap? Even when I was my smallest post DD who is now 2.5, it was still there. I just wear high waisted tights, swimmers etc!

ETA for spelling

Edited by harryhoo

Soontobegran

No not everyone gets a flap but some women who have vaginal births have them too. It depends on your skin elasticity, the amount of weight you put on and your abdominal muscles.

I looked after many women who only had a thin scar that gave a clue as to a previous C/S.

Rummonkey

2 c sections. No flap and barely any scar, it's almost invisible now. Am 2 years post op.

FretfulMum

2 CS here & no flap. Stomach is pretty much back to how it was before DS2 was born

rosie28

My tummy has gone back to normal twice now. I could stand to lose a couple of kilos after baby number 2 but I have no flap or overhang, just a silver scar.

hmmmmm

I had/have no flap. I woke flat after c section but since putting weight on still no flap. Scar is hardly visible besides in centre where wasn't healed when took staples out. I'm unsure if genetics tho as all my family has had natural births.

Lallalla

I've had 2 c-sections, didn't have it at all the first time despite not wearing any of those very uncomfortable looking and expensive "recovery" garments, a year later it was just about back to normal when I got pregnant again. 2nd time around I do have one, even though I was wearing compression tube thingy (that they hand out for muscle seperation). But I think that has more to do with the excess skin from having twins and a short torso. 16 months on I have come to conclusion my bikini days are very over, unless someone would like to fund a tummy tuck....

Silverstreak

I believe I have a veranda, lol! Currently losing weight and very interested to see what will be revealed at the end of it!

Green lady

4 c sections, no flap, no overhang, no scar bulge. I am slim build and after 4th pregnancy my stomach has not exactly popped back as the skin is a bit more stretched its pretty flat, just not like it once was and other people looking at it would probably wonder what I was talking about! I do minimal exercise - only walking and don't do sit ups or anything.

I think your skin type is the main determinant of outcome. Some people I know have an overhang from a natural birth because their stretched skin just never went back to the way it was.

Franny and Zooey

Had three natural births and have a flap!

• Like 1

Hini

Two c sections and I'm in good shape. Size 8. Pilates 5 times a week and I cannot shift my pouch. It's shrinking but I doubt I'll ever get rid of it totally. Nancy ganz is my best friend.

a letter to Elise.

3 c sections. Flat tummy after the first two, no flap. Third time round, I got cellulitis which gave me some scar tissue internally, but only on one side. So one side is flat, the other has a weird flappy bit and a dent. You can't see it in clothes.

Mpjp is feral

No pouch here - I'm not sure what it would even look like. I have quite a big, puckered scar but ds was a code blue type emergency c-section so I don't care in the slightest. Ob admitted it wasn't her neatest work, but she did save ds's life so I'll forgive her ;)

PandoBox

ooo very interesting...it seems to vary so much. I wonder if it has anything to do with how much weight you put on during pregnancy.

I'm glad at least that it can go either way !

WaitForMe

The skin is I guess kinda tight along the line, which creates a "shadow" more than a flap.

Honestly, a flap is the least of my worries, the stomach muscles didn't bounce back anywhere near as well as they did after my first child :(