Sign in to follow this  
Ariesmum

Wondering if I'm the only one?

Ariesmum

Hi,

I'm 15 weeks pregnant; I have been incredibly lucky having gotten pregnant on our first round of IVF. I know how very blessed I am and how long I waited for that bfp.

I've had MS since week 3; all day, all night every single day. I'm exhausted. I have no appetite and eating is a struggle. I've lost 10kgs (which pre-pregnancy would have been fab!) but my pants don't fit anymore and not for the reason one would normally expect at 15 weeks!

My manager has turned on me since I got pregnant; I'm not game at all to take time off to try and get on top of this. Totally unexpected and he's been completely off-grid about it so virtually impossible for me to make a complaint to HR.

So, I've had the most awful feelings of can I actually do this? Can I last another 25 weeks retching morning and night, struggling to eat, walking around with a constant dull headache and feeling so completely and utterly exhausted I fall asleep as soon as I get home from work? I feel so guilty for feeling like this.

I'm so grateful for being pregnant and can't wait to meet my little one. My husband is absolutely fantastic and supportive. I don't think I'm depressed - I still find joy every day, have good deep laughs with my husband, friends and colleagues and I'm still engaged in my life. Is it hormones? Is it normal? Has anyone else felt like this?

Sorry for the long post - hope someone can help.

Ariesmum

MissTR

I'm sorry I've got no advice for you, just thought I'd send you a virtual hug :bighug:

• Like 1

Jenflea

You don't need to suffer, you can get medication to help with the illness.

Make sure you get your blood pressure checked too in case it's causing the headaches.

Work I can't help you with sorry.

And even if you did get pregnant through IVF and you are incredibly grateful and lucky, pregnancy can still be CRAP and you're allowed to not enjoy it!

• Like 5

boysescakes

Totally normal!!! Being unwell constantly is ridiculously draining as you say. I actually stopped work before 20 weeks with my second and I was part time, as I just could not put a happy face on anymore.

Definitely talk to your dr and see if there is any medicines that can help you get through the day.

I also found trying to keep hydrated and some food in my tummy, kept the feeling of complete crappiness at bay. Small sips of diluted cordial. Plain biscuits or salty chips.

Hang on!!! Good luck x

• Like 1

Ellie bean

Ondasetron (zofran) is a fantastic medication, speak to your dr, you don't have to suffer like this

• Like 3

Neeps

Hi OP, I conceived a child through IVF and also suffered severe MS throughout the pregnancy. I ended being very depressed prior to the birth and sobbed my way through many hours of counseling.

The upside was work was supportive.

I don't have any magic words of wisdom only to encourage you to mobilize all the help you need whether that is taking leave from work until the MS eases, changing meds and/or getting counseling. Use your work's EAP if they have one.

• Like 1

FlamingoG

Talk to your doctor about Restavit, too - it is an antihistamine used by pregnant women for ms, and it really took the edge off my 9 months of misery. All the best.

• Like 3

Ariesmum

Thank you all so much. It's great to know I'm not alone and eases the guilt a lot! Will follow up on the advice. Thanks again - you're all magic!

Ellie bean

Good luck! I know what you're describing isn't as severe as HG but if you have a read in the HG forum here you'll see that you aren't alone innot enjoying every aspect of pregnancy. I've never been more miserable than when I was pregnant but I adore my kids, you don't have to enjoy every minute to be a great mum x

Fizgig

I think there is way too much pressure on women who go through IVF to "enjoy every moment" of preganancy, birth and babies because of how hard it was to get there and how sucky it was to hear other people complain about pregnancy/children when it was a desperate dream for you. Sometimes even what you desired sucks a$$ at times. I had IVF for my two girls. My eldest was really hard work as a baby and is now. If someone tried to tell me I should treasure every moment I would tell them where to go. You are allowed to find it hard,and sucky, and want this part to be over.

I also second going to the GP for medical support. If you can't go on a work day can you go to a Saturday or after hours clinic. Hop on Health Engine to see what is open near you.

• Like 1

Fright bat

Thank the gods that this is available!!!! Now if only we didn't have to mortgage houses to afford it. We used to call it my magic pill.

Ondansetron price has come down. Ten wafers are about $20 now. Still not super cheap but way better than it used to be!

• Like 3

zonnewigham

Talk to your doctor about zofran and shop around for the price. I managed to get 12 packs for about $25-$30. I still felt a little nauseous all day but I didn't vomit anymore. i wound up feeling so depressed for months and months because I also wound up with pgp early on too, I couldn't manage to feel excited for my coming baby and it just made me so upset that I was going to be a terrible mother and never bond with her or have the big family I'd once dreamed of but it does pass I promise and try not to feel guilty. I know I just made it worse for myself by constantly thinking how lucky I was getting pregnant just 3 months after trying to conceive naturally and that I had no right to hate my pregnancy when others struggled so hard just to fall pregnant. Sometimes pregnancy just sucks and there's no telling who's going to have good or bad experiences with it.

As for problems with your boss I'm sorry that that's happening to you. I had just found out that I was pregnant the day I started at my new job so I was so nervous to say anything to my boss (I had been with the company for years but had been relocated to a new store because my old one closed down, so new boss but with the knowledge that I would still get maternity etc) but she turned out to be so supportive.

I hope things pick up for you. I'm due in a few days and this last month all my anxiety seems to have magically dissapeared but I sympathise so much after the last 8 months of hell. Good luck with everything, no matter how much pregnancy sucks you'll be a fantastic mum x

Ellie bean

Ondansetron price has come down. Ten wafers are about $20 now. Still not super cheap but way better than it used to be!

That's g news!

Also OP if you have private health insurance it may cover a fair bit of the cost (mine did)

Lallalla

That is a very familiar feeling for me - other than the IVF bit I could have written your post 3 years ago.

Go see your GP. I wish so much I had gone in sooner. I didn't realise I should have spoken up, I thought it was just part of it for some people. I felt so guilty for finding it so hard when I was so very lucky to be having my very wanted healthy baby.

Pregnancy is hard for everyone but for some of us harder than others.