Riotproof

What's for dinner tonight? Menuplans welcome..

Hypnic Jerk

If you are anywhere near the Preston Market I can highly recommend Lui.Boss for Korean chicken.

Now I want some .

• Like 2

Riotproof

Poached chicken rice paper rolls. Super good. Made a treenut satay that Dd really liked. She is having one for lunch tomorrow, but no sauce. She even rolled one for me with all the left bits that is structurally sound. 

• Like 4

Sharalanda

Nagi’s cheeseburger casserole. Always a winner with the kids! 
*edited * well it wasn’t a winner with the kids last night. It seems I was a bit heavy handed with the sriracha and they couldn’t tolerate it. Oops  🤦‍♀️

Edited by Sharalanda
  • Like 3

Riotproof

For the carbonara people.. have a look at this... I assume the g word is some kind of fancy bacon. 
https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/silvias-carbonara?fbclid=IwAR20HKafrcCskhgI2cXTPxJE9u4UCBJqWkth5Si1vKCxngEvymyTjlhqoSg

tonight we were meant to be having Koftas in Lebanese bread wraps, but it’s weirdly cool and going to be rainy, so I am thinking of Delia’s Koftas, with the bread maybe? And I’ve bought asparagus today. 

• Like 3

Dustyblue

Our neighbour has been working for the local seafood co-op and just gave us 8 freshly-frozen scallops from last night's catch! 

I've never cooked them before, but have watched enough cooking shows to know you do it FAST :)

I can't decide whether to just savour them as an entree (not that I know what main is yet) or risk it and make scallop spaghetti. Very tempted!

• Like 3

marple

Oh I love Delia's koftas . Haven't made them in a while, will add to next week I think. I would only have to buy the meat. I have the rest here. 

Edited by marple
  • Like 2

Silverstreak

All the best with your dog, Marple!

Double quantity of satay currently defrosting, so we'll eat that over the next couple of nights with some couscous. Hopefully steak on Sunday.

DH bought a massive pumpkin, not sure what to do with it, DH likes pumpkin soup and then complains about being hungry afterwards. Might research some more pumpkin recipes.

• Like 1

Silverstreak

Ooh, that does look nice!

Catzilla

Homemade meatballs, in a homemade tomato based sauce, possibly with a side salad.

• Like 5

Riotproof
2 hours ago, marple said:

Oh I love Delia's koftas . Haven't made them in a while, will add to next week I think. I would only have to buy the meat. I have the rest here. 

They are super easy, and because you blitz it up, I use the sad stalky ends of coriander in it. Going to serve with the lev bread and a little salad I think. 

Snappy snap @Catzilla

Edited by Riotproof
  • Like 4

Interrobang

Thai green chicken curry here tonight, maybe slightly spicier than I intended  but they all seem to have survived.

Tomorrow the plan is Nagi’s chicken and mushroom tetrazzini, and a home made pull apart bread with roasted garlic, herb and Parmesan butter. 

• Like 3

Silverstreak

Tonight will be leftover slow cooker lamb with rice, just need to steam some broccoli and maybe grate some parmesan over the top of the lamb (it has quite a strong red wine flavour.)

Tomorrow, not sure, might do a roast, DH bought a marinated beef roast I can cook with potato, pumpkin and peas (use up some of that pumpkin.)

Monday, might be leftover chicken fried rice, as we'll all be tired!

Tuesday not sure.

• Like 2

Dustyblue

I wimped out on my fresh-frozen scallops entirely... too many other things going on last night.

But I've defrosted them so must cook tonight. Then I bought a 1.5kg beef brisket on special this morning so my head is spinning. All I can think is Reef & Beef or Surf & Turf....I've got chips, I could recreate a Hog's Breath Cafe meal? :)

My neighbour is going back out on the boat tonight, and promised me something fresh in the morning! Bit worried he'll bang on the door at 6am with a bag of slimy awesomeness though. 

• Like 3

Silverstreak

Let us know what you decided to do, Dustyblue!

Well, DH got enthused about toasties this evening, so he made us all toasties and then strawberries for dessert, which was very nice. So we'll have the lamb and rice tomorrow.

Monday we've pretty much settled on takeaway kebabs and we might have curry on Tuesday and chicken fried rice on Wednesday. Thinking of doing chicken pesto pasta next weekend. 

• Like 4

Interrobang

The tetrazzini was a bit bland last night unfortunately, and there’s a ton left, so I’m doing to doctor it a bit and roll it out again. I’m thinking of adding semi dried tomatoes, some fresh herbs, maybe a Parmesan crumb top for crunch? It wasn’t bad, just plain. 

• Like 1

Dustyblue
1 hour ago, Interrobang said:

The tetrazzini was a bit bland last night unfortunately, and there’s a ton left, so I’m doing to doctor it a bit and roll it out again. I’m thinking of adding semi dried tomatoes, some fresh herbs, maybe a Parmesan crumb top for crunch? It wasn’t bad, just plain. 

This is funny, I've been re-reading the whole Judy Blume collection & she mentions chicken tetrazzini. I had to know what it was & looked it up, sounds nice! Yes just doctor it, sounds even better!

We had our scallops with garlic butter as a starter, then brisket and salad. Felt very fancy. Plenty of brisket left for sandwiches.

Fisherman neighbour presented me with garfish today! so shoved them in the freezer. This fresh seafood is fabulous but takes a lot of grooming. Am not in the mood to learn how to gut and scale fish today :)

Dinner is bangers and mash with onion gravy. And peas, mmm. 

Edited by Dustyblue
  • Like 3

anatomicalheart

Children have been promised a 'backyard campout' so, on theme with that will do some BBQ'd meat and corn, salad etc. Have the makings for smores in the cupboard already, so that's handy. 

And then I have a tub of very nice ice-cream to open when they're outside "camping" ;) 

• Like 4

Silverstreak

I love Judy Blume, grew up on most of her books and she always describes food nicely!

Lamb and rice tonight.

• Like 2

Riotproof

Last night I ended up going with leftovers. Dd had some baked beans and toast. Oh quite a lot of twiggy sticks for eaten as well. 
So tonight is the grilled rump steak, jacket potatoes, asparagus and peas for the children. 

• Like 3

blackcat20

Chicken Kiev with corn on the cob and other assorted veg tonight.

I've got Nagi's Samosa pie planned for this week, and chilli con carne. Because the bag of corn chips in last weeks woolies order turned into three separate bags. Also some ravioli with veggie sauce, then woodfired pizzas probably on the weekend.

We had great Indian takeaway last night and as some point I want to try to replicate a couple of the curries, the mutter paneer was delicious.

• Like 3

Dustyblue
32 minutes ago, Silverstreak said:

I love Judy Blume, grew up on most of her books and she always describes food nicely!

Lamb and rice tonight.

She does! But a few of her food descriptions baffle me. For example, in 'Starring Sally J Freedman as Herself' the kids eat 'sour cream and cottage cheese for lunch and for dessert, ladyfingers and grape jelly'. Um, ok. It was wartime!

In the same book they eat cold borscht with potatoes and cow's tongue in a sweet sauce with raisins. Now this I understand- cold soup can be delicious, and my Dad still makes tongue, to have cold on toast with mustard. It's a lot like corned beef. Not with sweet sauce and raisins though, that's pushing it :)

• Like 1

Silverstreak

@Dustyblue from memory, Sally doesn't like the sauce with raisins!

Not sure if ladyfingers are a biscuit (cookie?). I'm guessing grape jelly might be what we'd call jam (not that we really have grape flavours in Australia.) I'm thinking borscht would be from her Jewish grandmother's cooking? I have never eaten tongue, too scared to try it! But I have come across a few books set in the 1940s and 50s where snacking on cottage cheese is a thing, haven't tried that either. Not sure about food rationing in America during WW2, but I think food rationing stopped in England in the 1950s, they had ration books for quite a while.

The mention of dill pickles fascinates me, as with bologna sandwiches. Is bologna like salami? Not a pickle person myself, although I might have a bit of pickle spread on a sandwich.

Ahem, as you were, lol.