Sign in to follow this  
Ayende

Leaving baby on playmat

Ayende

DD is nearly 5 months old and has recently become more content to be left to her own devices, rolling around on her playmat and trying to fit anything and everything in her mouth.  Since she barely naps during the day, this gives me a rare opportunity to get some work done around the house, which is great.

I know it's ridiculous, but I feel a bit guilty leaving her alone (supervised) for any more than a few minutes at a time.  I was just wondering how long other people leave their babies to entertain themselves?

Lunafreya

I wish I could still do that! It changes once they become mobile!

• Like 2

Future-self

As long as they're happy i always just left them to it. There's no need to feel guilty- they'll call you if they want/need you , it's not like babies don't let their desires known ! It's actually good for them to be allowed to observe, explore the world at their own pace

• Like 11

Ayende

If you read some RIE, it helps with the guilt! I don't follow it really as a parenting philosophy, but it talks about leaving you baby to entertain themselves. (I'm sure their website makes it sound better than that!) It didn't work for us as my child decided needed to be attachment parented 24 hours a day

Thanks, will do! Haven't heard of that one before, looks like a good resource.

Feral Grey Mare

I left DD to her own devices even after she could crawl around as she was usually content to just play with her toys on the mat. DS however was a different story. If I blinked he would be climbing up whatever was available. Depends on the child really, but there is definitely no need for any guilt at leaving them on their own periodically.

• Like 1

Wonderstruck

I do this all the time as like you my baby rarely sleeps in the day and it gives me a moment. She gets bored quick now!

In fact I have to leave her in her bouncer so I can take the pram down stairs as I have no choice.

She can't roll yet or crawl but soon I'll have to work on what to do!

• Like 1

mandelbrot

It was amazing what DS2 would find to entertain himself when I gave him a chance! At about 5 months he figured out how to roll half way across the room to play with the pedal on DS1's trike.

• Like 2

newmumandexcited

My ds1 spent no time much alone entertaining himself. My ds2 and ds3, by necessity, spend most of their time on their playmat. Think of families with lots of kids - a parent just can't hold them.

• Like 1

Ayende

Thanks for all the replies everyone! DD has started rolling and is working hard on trying to crawl so I doubt this will be possible for too much longer anyway, but I still feel much better about it all :)

Palm tree

I think the guilt is a ftm thing. Imagine you had a toddler as well. While your watching dd play happily on her mat the toddler in about 3 seconds has climbed up into the pantry got a tin of gelatin, then got out the back door, stripped off naked and is jumping on the trampoline while trying to open the gelatin (not my kid).

• Like 2

Hini

When you've got more than one you've often go no choice! Independent play is an important skill so leave bubs to it.

I couldn't sit in the floor all day with my babies. I'd have gone mad!

I used to chat to DS when I was doing housework while he was rolling around.

• Like 1

Ayende

Hini - haha, yep, I think I was halfway going mad before she figured out rolling and became much happier to be left alone.

I've never been so excited to be able to do housework!

Ayende

Palm tree - definitely a ftm thing, I know it's ridiculous :) None of my friends have babies yet and I'm far too shy for mother's groups, so I've been turning to google and message boards for all the silly ftm questions - its been a godsend!