yabbadabbadoo

Year 12 parent/guardian support thread

JRA

Yes, ABC say dept has said ATAR out before end of year.

Meepy

Glad our Year 12s will be finished earlier. More study design amendments yesterday for some subjects.

JRA

How are your Y12s going now they are back at school?

littlepickle

WA here and DD is in the middle of sitting her 1st Semester exams - only delayed by 2 weeks from the original plans. She is in the process of putting an application into one of the Uni's based on her predicted ATAR (using year 11 results) but is keen to achieve a higher mark than the school has estimated.

She is a motivated self directed learner so the short period of learning from home was actually an advantage for her.

I am also working from home at the moment so have been able to pick her up takeaway coffee, cook lunches and generally nurture her through what could have been a tougher time.

Good luck

kshy

Vic here - practice GAT today

A few SAC’s next week. DD is so happy to be back - study wise she wise fine at home - has aced a few SAC’s but needed to be back for the social interaction

JRA

DS is happy to be back, although this is his first day back when he doesn't have a SAC, so the first day to enjoy I think.

The maths SACs are generally over multiples tests, so just so many tests to make one SAC. At least he doesnt have another SAC until last day of term.

Hasn't had practice GAT yet, he did GAT last year with his one subject last year, so a bit less concerned about it.

2bundles

DS has been back for weeks (Qld). They dropped one piece of assessment, so he has now finished everything until end of year exams!!!

Hoping formal will still be on (Sept). He wasn’t interested in schoolies anyway.

kshy

Argh - have just read Vic ATAR results back on Dec 30!

that gives no support to the kids from schools when results come back 

JRA
18 minutes ago, kshy said:

Argh - have just read Vic ATAR results back on Dec 30!

that gives no support to the kids from schools when results come back 

What shocking/interesting timing. I suppose not much can be done given the weird timing.

I would assume schools will need people around on the 30th/31st. In the same way they needed people around for the results previously.

kshy

Exam dates are out too today.  DD is happy no  double days, only English week 1 which also means she should be able to compete in her final all schools athletics (as long as they go ahead)

Julie3Girls

School is usually finished by the time the results come out anyway? In nsw anyway.  I know our school invites the yr12s back for a bbq on results day, but it’s not really for support?

And if you go back at a bit, results didn’t come out till January ... 

But I will say, Dec 30 is crappy timing.  Right in the middle of Christmas/new year break when everyone is on holidays.

JRA
1 minute ago, kshy said:

Exam dates are out too today.  DD is happy no  double days, only English week 1 which also means she should be able to compete in her final all schools athletics (as long as they go ahead)

Exams were not that different to what DS expected. English then a free week, and then 4 a weekend and another 2. 

JRA
4 minutes ago, Julie3Girls said:

School is usually finished by the time the results come out anyway? In nsw anyway.  I know our school invites the yr12s back for a bbq on results day, but it’s not really for support?

And if you go back at a bit, results didn’t come out till January ... 

But I will say, Dec 30 is crappy timing.  Right in the middle of Christmas/new year break when everyone is on holidays.

exactly. We got results mid jan way back when

kshy

Crappy timing - ours was to have a bbq and have support on hand.

Oh well - it is what it is

JRA

How's everyone's children going? What about those in Vic?  They are beginning to say maybe  changes to the exams

Changes to Victorian Year 12 exams could be coming

The Victorian Education Minister, James Merlino, has indicated there could be changes to the way students in the state sit their final exams.
  • Like 1

kshy
3 minutes ago, JRA said:

How's everyone's children going? What about those in Vic?  They are beginning to say maybe  changes to the exams

Changes to Victorian Year 12 exams could be coming

The Victorian Education Minister, James Merlino, has indicated there could be changes to the way students in the state sit their final exams.

I was wondering if there would be more changes as we just got an email from our head of year 12 around the GAT and the essay writing and it’s now more important than ever to practice and get feedback as it’s going to play a very important role in determination of your results this year 

JRA
12 minutes ago, kshy said:

I was wondering if there would be more changes as we just got an email from our head of year 12 around the GAT and the essay writing and it’s now more important than ever to practice and get feedback as it’s going to play a very important role in determination of your results this year 

that is what worries me. DS would prefer to have exams. English is his weakest subject and things like this will just make it worse for him. He did really well with the GAT last year, but thinks it was more of a fluke than anything. 

Most schools have nearly finished all the work (well 6 more weeks) and exams are so much later, so why not just do them. For every child that is helped if they remove/reduce the exams, there are probably  just as many disadvantaged if they remove them

kshy

English is my DD worst subject as well - she will be happy if the SACs already completed make up a bigger complement of the marks

SFmummyto3
Posted (edited)

Oh wow, now I'm a bit worried. dd will not be happy if the exams don't go ahead. I'm not going to mention it to her just yet as her anxiety is already sky high. Sigh...I wish this year was over already. Her SAC results lately have been much improved and her class did one on Tuesday that was online, with the teacher watching.

Edited by SFmummyto3

dadwasathome

DS17 wasn't pleased with his trial maths exam today. But has felt OK for the rest of the week. Classmates appear to be supporting their COVID isolated friend (the school was closed for a day last week.)

kshy

So no changes except every student will be assessed by impact 

JRA
10 minutes ago, kshy said:

So no changes except every student will be assessed by impact 

Yep, that is good

Literary Lemur

I think they are doing the best they can to make a level playing field. But geeze it feels like the longest year ever.

Mine is struggling with planning out her study especially reviewing for exams. Has anyone found an electronic planner that works well with study planning? Would a product  like Monday.com work well?

Julie3Girls

Happy graduation to those NSW yr12 students finishing up this week.

Last day of yr11 for Dd2, can’t believe she only has a year to go.

• Like 1