lazycritter

Cassie Jaye on the Project

Lady Sybil Vimes

I just watched the sunrise interview. She doesn't come across well. Thin skinned and defensive.

She's been promoting this film for a long time she should have better answers than to call a man who advocates assaulting women a "provocateur". That's a description you give to someone you admire, someone's who's a bit cheeky but with high-minded intentions. That on it's own shows that she's on board with the misogynists. She, and her woman-hater hagiography, can bugger right off.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

I just watched the sunrise interview. She doesn't come across well. Thin skinned and defensive.

She's been promoting this film for a long time she should have better answers than to call a man who advocates assaulting women a "provocateur". That's a description you give to someone you admire, someone's who's a bit cheeky but with high-minded intentions. That on it's own shows that she's on board with the misogynists. She, and her woman-hater hagiography, can bugger right off.

From all the interviews I have seen with her about this movie, my take-home message is that she's not a terribly deep or critical thinker and isn't good at rebuttal.

She has made a controversial "documentary" and is getting a lot of publicity.

If the same documentary was made by a man, would it be considered ground breaking?

TimDrake

From all the interviews I have seen with her about this movie, my take-home message is that she's not a terribly deep or critical thinker and isn't good at rebuttal.

She has made a controversial "documentary" and is getting a lot of publicity.

If the same documentary was made by a man, would it be considered ground breaking?

I can not comment on the "documentary" as I have not seen it, nor am I interested in seeing it. I have seen the interviews though and they seem steadfast on criticizing it without watching the "documentary" because of some elements of it. Cassie may not come across well but who could when you have to describe your work to people who have been too time poor or arrogant to do their research prior to an interview and then decide to attack a snippet that may or may not be taken out of context to score an easy point.

As for the interviewers on both The Project and Weekend Sunrise, they all come off just as poorly for trying to Bully their guest without doing adequate research.

Edited by TimDrake

kadoodle

Bully? The Project team were pulling their punches. I'd hate to see how she'd fare if she was interviewed by a serious (rather than infotainment) presenter.

• Like 1

caitiri

I imagine that the people who would view that as bullying are the same as the people who views discussions of women's issues as attacks on men.

• Like 8

AsperHacker

Yep, my 6 yo is a Misogynist. He's learning (mostly from school) that women can't do what men can, that it's boys who will grow up to do important jobs not women, that girls are sensitive and boys are strong.

Yep, The Red Pill doesn't explore men's issues. It's superficial. There's a whole heap of issues listed and not one of them is explored. Not why boys are disengaging from education, or why men's suicide rates are so much higher, or why predivorce primary carers (predominantly women!) are getting higher percentages of "custody" from courts. It's disappointing.

Again, I have seen the documentary. And I agree with the direction critiques have taken. I can assure that snippets have not been taken out of context to score easy points. Points are easy to score because it's a crap film.

• Like 3

TimDrake

Watched The Project interview again and yes Bullied. Her "documentary" did not cover the issues that The Project wanted it to cover. It did not cover rape culture because it was too big an issue to cover in the arc of the "documentary". Cassie does not endorse the perpetrators of crimes, she says she wants to acknowledge all victims though and wants to separate the two.

The Project tried to Bully Cassie into subject matter that her "documentary" did not address in order to dominate the conversation.

Then they admit to the "documentary" having valid arguments but then jump straight on to other arguments that have "sweeping generalisations" that are all to briefly covered in her work.

I found The Project's interview to be guilty of the same errors of what they claim the "documentary" to have.

Society has problems, way too many of them are caused by historical gender imbalance that need to be addressed that the EB faithful know and work to correct, but shouting down a solitary documentary that puts forth the idea that there are some imbalances that affect men does not further anyone's cause.

Edited by TimDrake

AsperHacker

Cassie is the one who brought up rape culture... in her documentary. It's the issue she was intending to document when she started. When researching her chosen topic she became distracted by men's rights activists on the a voice for men website. It wasn't not covered because it was too big an issue. It was the ORIGINAL issue and she diverted her attention.

You are also guilty of what you claim The Project is guilty of. Maybe you should watch it before having a go at other people discussing it who haven't seen it.

• Like 1

TimDrake

Cassie is the one who brought up rape culture... in her documentary. It's the issue she was intending to document when she started. When researching her chosen topic she became distracted by men's rights activists on the a voice for men website. It wasn't not covered because it was too big an issue. It was the ORIGINAL issue and she diverted her attention.

You are also guilty of what you claim The Project is guilty of. Maybe you should watch it before having a go at other people discussing it who haven't seen it.

I'm sorry, my opinions on the interviewing style and how I perceive the answers of the interviewee are irrelevant because I haven't seen the documentary. I see that now.

Edited by TimDrake

AsperHacker

I'm sorry, my opinions on the interviewing style and how I perceive the answers of the interviewee are irrelevant because I haven't seen the documentary. I see that now.

Now I didn't say that, did I? And you haven't just given your opinion on the interviewing style. You specifically questioned the direction of rape culture that the project chose to follow without knowing the context of that within the documentary. Most people in the thread haven't seen it. But, you're the only one using not having seen it as an argument against the Project.

Everyone has the right to an opinion... but not the right to freedom from critique of that opinion.

• Like 2

kadoodle

You were criticising their knowledge of the contents of the film, whilst making it obvious that you hadn't seen it either. Own your own sh*t.

• Like 3

BadCat

Less interesting, or too close to the bone for you?

You claim that my description of toxic masculinity hampering the educational experience if boys to be "not your experience"; so elaborate as to what was? Because having a physics teacher walking in and saying 'what are girls doing in my class" to me and my girlfriend, being told "don't do better than the boys or you'll put them off", "don't show up the boys or they won't like you", "let the boys beat you at maths", etc, etc was mine. In the 1990s. My 15yo DD was actively discouraged from taking computer graphics and IT as "they're for the boys, wouldn't you rather do textiles and food studies?" this year.

Add to that the head of IT at a local college who told my DD when we were considering his school that she needn't worry, if she wanted to do programming the boys would be falling all over themselves to help her. He also suggested that some girls do sign up for programming but only because their parents push them because they think it's the right thing to do.

Needless to say DD went to a different college. And won the maths/IT medal for excellence at grad.

I've seen enough of Cassie Jaye to know that she has not given much thought to her subject matter and spouts nonsense directly from redpill discussions without any nuanced consideration of how gender relations work in the real world.

• Like 1

Lady Sybil Vimes

Cassie may not come across well but who could when you have to describe your work to people who have been too time poor or arrogant to do their research prior to an interview and then decide to attack a snippet that may or may not be taken out of context to score an easy point.

Lots of people could respond better to those fairly obvious questions that she has undoubtedly been asked before. That she can't do it makes me think her documentary isn't worth my time. Especially if it's as simplistic as her responses are.

It's not like she's Norman Mailer being asked to debate Germaine Greer. It's just standard commercial TV stuff. If the intellectual standards of breakfast telly are too much for her then it's no wonder she was sucked in by MRA's.

• Like 3

AsperHacker

Ha, weekend sunrise was great! (Did I just say that?!?)

Recap - why did Cassie choose to address the very real, very important (imo) issues of men by speaking with misogynist mras? Because, in her words it was a film about the a voice for men website and the men's rights movement... so yeah, not really about things affecting men... which you'd know if you'd seen it Tim.

She was asked why she didn't question the mras (hence my statement that she didn't explore any issues, just presented sound bites) so she threw back "have you seen the film?" Apparently, the presenters had only received and watched a small part of the film because her publicist wouldn't send it to them until 9pm the night before. They even tried to buy the film on google play but couldnt. Hmmm...

Apparently feminism ONLY wants to look and women's and girls issues and blame men for everything. And "they" dont look at male victims. I rest my case that she has no idea what she's talking about.

It's actually a really good interview!

• Like 2

kadoodle

Obviously rolling him in glitter didn't work.

• Like 3

AsperHacker

I'm bored. Guess what I found... the project was funded by kickstarter. The page states "A feminist filmmaker follows the Men's Rights Movement and begins to question her own beliefs." I wonder how many feminists and just regular people going about their lives who don't give a hoot about feminism or mras or gender politics went out of their way to donate... if she wants to claim it wasn't funded by mras then I want to see her backer list!

Eta and I just found a few films which look at men's rights too... so she's not the first as she feels the need to claim over and over and over. So now she's a bad doco maker, a crappy critical thinker who doesn't bother to explore the issues she claims to be addressing... and she's a liar who really seems to be in it for the claim to fame. At the expense of anything that might actually reduce the chances of my son becoming disengaged at school or dying at work or suiciding. As the mother of a male, that's not ****ing ok.

Edited by AsperHacker
  • Like 1

Hollycoddle

I don't think Cassie is an apologist, nor do I think she is anti-feminist, I think that her viewpoint is that being labelled a feminist or seeing everything from a feminist viewpoint puts blinders on you that doesn't allow you to see other injustices that need to be addressed as well as the inequality that women experience.

Pretty sure she came out and actually stated after making the film that the experience had turned her into an anti-feminist so there it is, straight from the horse's mouth. It's so, so clear she has no idea whatsoever of what feminism is.

Edited by Mollycoddle
  • Like 1

BadCat

The simple fact that she thinks being a feminist precludes you from considering men's issues or fighting for them is the most obvious indicator that the she thinks in black and white.

This is typical of redpill. They tend to think you are either in favour of men's rights OR women's rights and that you can't be interested in both.

Redpill flat out states that feminists hate men. That we are anti-male. That we want male genocide. That we only marry men so we can divorce them and steal their homes, money and children. That we want infant males circumcised.

Redpill is the exact kind of hate group it claims feminism is.

MRAs are a slightly different breed. MRAs can be reasonable people. Redpill people are not. They just aren't. The whole premise of taking the redpill is to wake up to the heinous nature of those man hating, baby killing, thieving, whore women.

The fact that she chose to make a film about men's issues from the point of redpill tells me she doesn't understand redpill, men's issues, or feminism. The more I read and hear about her the less she appears to have a clue.

• Like 9

Seven of Nine

I just googled Red Pill and had a look at the subreddit. Terrifying.

Therese

I have done some editing of posts as name calling is not allowed.

• Like 1

chicken_bits

Oh the irony of her winning an award from an organisation who is trying to encourage more women filmmakers.

Hayleymumof3

Society has problems, way too many of them are caused by historical gender imbalance that need to be addressed that the EB faithful know and work to correct, but shouting down a solitary documentary that puts forth the idea that there are some imbalances that affect men does not further anyone's cause.

You have heard repeatedly from a member here who has actually seen the movie who says that it doesn't address the issues really at all just glosses over them, with out going into any indepth look as to WHY.

Wouldn't the movie had been better spent searching and looking into why women get a "greater" share of custody, or why men don't have the same amount of DV shelters, or why men are committing suicide in such great numbers.

No one here has denied that their might be imbalances all we have done is point out WHY their might be.

Women have more DV shelters because women start them up women fight for funding, for training, for education about domestic Violence.

Women are starting to get ahead of men in school because women have finally only in the last 100 years or so been given a better chance at school. I was watching Anne of Green Gables with my daughter last night and one of the main characters(Diana) in the book can't go on to college because her parents think her time would be better spent learning how to be a good wife. And a lot of the older women chaste Anne for wanting to go on to University.

Women go after things they want to change people like MRA's and Redpiller's sit back and whinge about it then expect women to do all the work for them. They want to know why women don't agitate for more shelters for men etc it could be because we have a hard enough time getting and keeping the funding for women's shelters, legal services etc.

• Like 4

AsperHacker

I had the pleasure of the screening I went to being hosted by Bettina Arndt. She's a lying nut job.

• Like 1