Mrs Q

Vehicles for 10+ people

Mrs Q

We are looking at options for a vehicle that seats 10+ people. 12 seats would be the maximum at this stage because we only have normal car licences. We also need something with at least 4 anchor points (or would need to get them installed as an addition if not already existing).

Anyone have any advice/experience with vehicles seating 10-12?

High on the list is the Toyota Hiace Commuter. Have read that it is not comfortable to drive (in terms of the actual seating position, etc) - anyone have one and can comment? Also read several people complaining of lack of power, and also issues with it doing simple things like reversing up a small incline.

I think someone at school has a VW with 11 seats. Perhaps a Transporter? Although I'm thinking servicing and parts would possibly be more expensive with a VW (as opposed to a Toyota).

Also considering the LDV V80. Yes, it is Chinese. Yes, it is relatively new and unproven in the long run. Still, it has been reviewed quite well by motoring websites, so we are at least considering it.

Not really keen on Ford Transit (looks awkwardly huge), but if you have one and like it - please tell me what is good about it.

Any other options out there for transporting 10-12 people?

If you have a large vehicle like this, I would be really interested to hear your experience and opinion - what you like about it, what annoys you about it, etc.

Thank you for your help!

Mrs Q

Hmmm... Nobody has a 10-12 seater vehicle?

Cheesy Sanga

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Transfer?

(I don't have one, I just know that it exists)

Cheesy Sanga

Renault master bus?

(I don't have one of these either)

cvbn

I have a Hi-ace, I am not a confident driver and I love it!

HighlandPinky

I have a transit, although we don't use it at the moment as it's not registered. It's probably my favourite car I've ever had. It's easy to drive, heaps of room for stuff, comfy to sit in, etc. I didn't find it too big or awkward...it is easy to park, big mirrors make it easy to reverse. We got anchor points installed as we had issues finding a big car with any installed.

~Bob~

I think the Kia carnivale comes in an 11/12 seater? Have you considered that?

Franny and Zooey

A Toyota would be a better choice over a Kia any day. Kia's are still prone to problems.

Mrs Q

Thank you for the replies.

I think the Mercedes and Renault are out of our budget (for purchase price and for ongoing servicing/parts).

The Kia has always seemed squishy to me, even years ago when we looked at the 7/8 seater. I just looked up the 11 seater and it looks like everyone would be squished in like a can of sardines, with no room left for any bags/prams/etc. I don't actually know if the 11 seater is available in Australia? Even so, we would definitely be looking for something with much more room to get in/out of seats and for bags, etc.

Anyone with the Toyota Commuter care to comment on performance? I have read people complaining that it lacks power. I think this was in the context of it being used in something like an airport transfer capacity - so probably with 10 adult passengers all with luggage. In our case, it would be used for our growing family for typical school runs, sport, etc. so perhaps the airport transfer 'lack of power' scenario isn't directly applicable?

Will keep the Transit in mind. It does seem roomy!

We will have to be buying second hand. No way we can afford new of anything (except maybe the LDV), and even then we will have to take out a loan. So if it is the Commuter, or Transit, etc, it would be one of the older second hand models. Any tips on particular years to avoid, or to look for?

Thank you so much for your help!

blimkybill

I have driven Mercedes, Ford and Toyota 11-12 seaters through work. I found the Toyota really easy to drive. Sure its not as powerful as a car but it was pretty pleasant to drive.

Mrs Q

I have driven Mercedes, Ford and Toyota 11-12 seaters through work. I found the Toyota really easy to drive. Sure its not as powerful as a car but it was pretty pleasant to drive.

Out of the Ford and Toyota, would you rate one higher than the other overall?

blimkybill

Out of the Ford and Toyota, would you rate one higher than the other overall?

The Ford was older so that might influence how they felt. The two we had, the Toyota was a bit lighter and easier to drive, but I don't know if the models varied due to age. Both I found quite easy to park and manoeuvre.

cvbn

The Commuter sits very nicely on the speed limit can over take safely in an over taking lane.

I have zero issues with it, it has a lot of leg room and parks very well for its size.