Rita81

Watching tv at LDC

Rita81

DS has his care for the week spread over three places- a ldc centre, family daycare and a five day fortnight at a C & K Kindy. I'm happy with all his care but one thing annoys me. Every afternoon that I pick up DS from LDC, which is only a Friday and every second Wednesday, the kids are sitting there watching tv. Yesterday it was Tree Fu Tom and its usually ABC for kids type of stuff. Normally the carers are cleaning up things around the room but yesterday, two of them were sitting down doing paper work. I undertsand that there might be times when thats ok but tv every afternoon I pick him up? Am I over reacting?

Babetty

If you pick him up at the same time, could be part of their usual routine- eg 30 minutes of tv to calm down after outside play. It wouldn't bother me too much, but I would definitely ask how much screen time they have over the course of the day.

ETA: I missed that it was LDC and assumed family day care. I don't like regular tv at LDC - except on rainy days

Edited by Babetty
  • Like 2

Rita81

It's usually anytime between 3.30 and 5 when I pick him up.

becstar101

I don't feel that there is any place for Regular TV at long day care. Perhaps at family care or similar where there is only one carer who may need the distraction of tv to get essentials done, but not at a centre where staff are able to cover each other for those tasks. Ask the centre director about their policy on tv and screens, make sure you are happy with the limits they place on it.

• Like 21

Contrebasse

I wouldn't be happy with any TV in long day care

• Like 6

Abcde-La-A

If it's every time, at different times of day, and quite early, that seems likely to be a lot of to watchng.

DS is st school now but when he was in ldc he would occasionally watch tv at the very end of the day (like after 1730 when everyone was tired and cranky and most kids had gone home) or if it had been belting rain for days and they all had cabin fever - which didn't overly bother me.

But I wouldn't want it to be a regular feature of childcare.

I would raise it with the director and ask about their policy on screen time.

• Like 1

StartledFlamingo

I'd be unhappy if it was anything more than a very occasional thing - like on very hot days. I too would talk to the director about it.

SplashingRainbows

I'd not be happy at all, and would be looking to remove my kids.

Beqa

If it was just in the afternoon at cleanup time I would be ok with it. It is a long day for the kids, so if between 9&3 they are learning, I can't see anything wrong with TV/quiet play outside of those times.

• Like 3

Lucky11

I really don't see a problem. If they were home with you all day they'd not be watching tv?

I'm assuming the kids have been there from before 9am so tv after 3 to wind down after a huge day seems sensible to me.

The carers were doing paperwork? I thought you were going to say they were having a cuppa.

• Like 6

Percival

I would t be happy with this at all. In the 3 years DS has attended day care he has watched Tv twice. Once it was a treat day where they put on a movie for some reason,the other was Day 4 of 40 degree days where they couldn't play outside.

Both times specific movies were chosen and activities linked to them.

Soontobegran

Long day care I would have no problem if at the end of the day there is a chill out period.

I'd do it at home.

If they spent more than just wind down time in front of the TV I would have an issue.

Talk to the centre manager but if your child is thriving and otherwise happy with the care there I would not want to make a big deal of it.

MerryMadrigalMadge

The 3 LDC centres attended over the years, none of them even had TV's - having said that, I wouldn't have minded if they used it for say 30-60 mins a day - the main centre we attended was open 6.30am to 7pm so I assume that there would have been some kids there for the whole duration.

22Fruitmincepies

DD's daycare occasionally show something, usually just on an iPad. It's either something short that ties in with what they are doing, or something like nursery rhymes if they have been stuck inside all day and the kids are over it (less so in the older rooms as they just put on raincoats and boots and play in the rain).

Every afternoon? I wouldn't be impressed.

Bugster

Our LDC will occassionally play a short show as a special treat in winter when it is just too horrible to get the kids outside.

Often they have the ipad/laptop going with "dance party" which is dances to nursery rhyms/other songs with actions to get the kids moving and bouncing off their engery on a crappy day too

although we are encouraged to send lots of warm clothes and they still take the kids out to burn off engery then change into clean dry clothes for the afternoon.

I would't be happy with it every time I collect

Feral Grey Mare

Gosh, I hadn't realised TV was such an evil thing. Don't see any problem with a bit of mindlessly wind-down telly after a long day of structured activity. They're pre-schoolers !

• Like 8

Coffeegirl

DD attended a daycare (way back 12-13 years ago) and the TV seemed to be on permanently.

Was one of the many reasons I eventually pulled her out.

They were a very large centre with multiple rooms (I would guess 60-70 kids at a time). The children seemed to rotate between the rooms during the day, but regardless of when I picked her up, it seemed like the same children were sitting in front of the TV

Personally I have no issue with TV being used for a short period, or if they are unable to get outside when raining for normal play and are getting restless, but all day, everyday was too much.

Seven of Nine

It's not something I'd be happy with for my kids. TV doesn't wind my kids down, it hypes them up.

• Like 1

coolbreeze

I did long day care for 10 years with two children. Council run centres. They didn't even have a TV at Childcare. My children went two to three days per week. They seemed to cope just fine and personally I don't think there is any need for TVs in centres. They had lots of staff and messy kinds of activities to keep them occupied. Wind down at the end of the day was music playing in the room quietly and book corner.

So sorry TV would really be a deal breaker for me.

CB

Edited by coolbreeze

Squeekums The Elf

Be ok with me

unless they showing say 50 shades or silence of the lambs

abc2 or a kid movie, meh who cares

• Like 2

ladyantebellum

My DD attends a LDC four days a week and I haven't seen a TV in there - and I pick her up anytime between 4 -5.30.

They have a smartboard and the carers sometimes have cosmic yoga or short clips of abc kids type shows, doesn't bother me. Not sure if I'd be keen on heaps of TV watching while she is there though.

Guest Willis023

Absolutely not ok!!! You do not pay for them to be sat in front of the tv.

I would be asking them to justify it via the curriculum. It would be hard to justify that way. The Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF Curriculum) is there for a reason and is all focused on providing learning opportunities that address children's individual interests and areas of need.

You cannot tell me that 30mins (potentially more) of TV all watching the same thing in any way addresses their individual needs.

I could accept it if they had been specifically doing focus groups on art or science experiments or animals and they watched an episode of two of say art attack, a science show or a totally wild/animal doco. This would be acceptable for the children within that focus group to watch. Otherwise no way.

It does not benefit them in any way. There are so many better options!!

They could be with one carer whilst the other does cleaning or paperwork and at no time should both carers be disengaged from the children. Even if it was done to compliment a focus group an educator should be with the children, stopping it at various points for them to ask questions or to provide explanation.

If there's too much paperwork the staff should be replaced to allow time for them to do this. If too much cleaning then employ more cleaners OR get the children helping out. At least 5 out of a class of 20 would absolutely love to help clean with some warm soapy water, sweep a floor or wash a few dishes (I'm not talking child labour, just those who are keen to help out, there is always some).

The long and short of it is that these carers are either lazy, have poor time management skills, lack knowledge or have little to no support from management.

I've worked full time in long day care for many years and this would never have been considered as acceptable in any way.

The fact it is anytime within a two hour period is even more concerning. I would be trying to find out what the center rated in their last assessment. I would be addressing it asap as ita says to me there is potentially a whole lot of other issues that aren't up to scratch either. Long day care is not baby sitting, it's about education.

Yes the kids need down time but story boards, kiddie yoga and relaxation, quiet art activities or for flips sake nearly anything else could be used.

The only child care setting where I would see 30mins of TV as acceptable is in family day care as a carer is on their own so in that case I think there is legitimate reason for them to use it as a tool for a short period of time. Also, family day care is designed to reflect the home environment and I would agree that the majority of families would do this at home for a little bit each day.

This makes me so mad! No it won't kill them...but it's if the standard of care is so low that anything which doesn't harm them is acceptable then pull your kid out.

Send them somewhere that educators aim for high quality care and to engage with and beI available to their kids at all times.

End rant.

• Like 7

Green Sage

My kids have been to two centres. And I've toured about 10. Never seen a TV in a room (or maybe I didn't notice). Never saw them watch tv in care.

I wouldn't want my kids watching tv at a LDC centre. You pay a lot of money for qualified carers. They shouldn't need tv to keep kids occupied. I don't care if my kids watch TV at home, that's irrelevant, I expect the educators to do a better job looking after my kids than I do at home. They have a room built for it, they're trained in it, it's their career, there is more than one adult in the room at a time, And you're paying for it.

My mum worked in child care for 10 years when the ratios were ridiculous, and they still never needed tv. They still got their cleaning and things done.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

A LDC in Brisbane that we used had TV as an option after 5pm. It wasn't on every afternoon, but maybe 1-2 times a week. But there would also be children who wouldn't be watching tv as well - they still had a few play activities and craft tables still happening.

TV was not routinely used in the other two LDCs we used. Maybe 1-2 times a year?? It was very infrequent.

A friend is works in LDC and while they have a couple of TVs, they don't use them often. The problem is that some children get upset if parents turn up and say "time to go home" and the children still want to watch TV. My friend reckons it's not worth it due to the temper tantrums when parents arrive. She prefers to work in centres where TVs are not regularly used because the staff generally have better engagement with the children and better activity planning.

just roses

Our centre had quiet, wind-down activities, but none of them involved screens. Usually, I'd find DD colouring in, drawing or flicking through a book when I picked her up. Often a student teacher or another carer would read stories to the kids that were left while the other carers finished tidying up. Also, the kids were always involved with packing away the toys, which I liked.

• Like 3