Sign in to follow this  
samandimmysmum

Candles

samandimmysmum

Hi,

I am toying with the idea of selling candles in my massage clinic.

I am not sure whether to buy in bulk (and put my own labels onto the jars) or make them from scratch.

Does anyone know where I could purchase in bulk (doesn't necessary need to be in Perth) and be able to put my business label onto the jar.

Alternatively, would it be cheaper to make them myself - is it easy to do as I have never made them

Thanks in advance

HRH Countrymel

Making your own candles is a really good way to set your house on fire.

And certainly isn't something you would want to be doing in bulk with small children around.

If your time is important I'd go the re-labelling option.

Why don't you do some investigating and see if there is a local maker near you who would be interested in making them for you?

• Like 1

JJ

Maybe you could check out who sells handmade candles locally and team up with someone? Personally I'd be more inclined to buy something like that as opposed to something that is obviously mass produced with a label on it. (ETA - snap Countrymel!)

I don't know anything about candle making, but I would imagine that you'd have to practise for quite a while until you got to a level where you could sell them. You could look up some tutorials on YouTube etc. to give you an idea what's involved. There are candle making websites and probably forums too - just be prepared for people not to tell you all their secrets, from my experience as a crafter who sells stuff this is the kind of info people usually keep to themselves because it can take ages to find reliable suppliers, techniques etc. and they don't want to just pass it on to potential competitors. So lots of research for you to do.

Also look into what insurance is needed - this may be more in the US, but I remember reading that candle makers on Etsy had to have extra good public and product liability insurance because candles can start fires...

Edited by JJ