Sign in to follow this  
wombats

Helmet for 2.5 year old?

wombats

Does anyone have suggestions for buying a helmet for a 2.5 year old for use with scooter/balance bike? What to look for, how much is worth spending etc? At this point it really is more for the sake of wearing one than safety as such but want it to become a habit.

theboys2

i got my 3 year old a helmet from big w. fits well cuz it can come with extra padding if needed. was about $30 i think

Therese

Big W has adjustable helmets for little kids. I am pretty sure you could also go to a bike shop and get one fitted.

AdelTwins

Toys r us has a good range too. Check that it meets the Australian standard - there should be a sticker on it.

StartledFlamingo

There is one brand that has a magnetic clip - great for kids who are scared of getting their skin pinched in the clip - but they're pretty expensive, $100+.

All helmets sold in Australia should meet mandatory standards, so a cheap one from Kmart or wherever will do the trick.

• Like 1

22Fruitmincepies

DD has a Lazer P'Nut. I like it because it adjusts automatically to be the right fit.

• Like 1

Helga Hufflepuff

We got one from a local bike shop. It was about $30 so quite similar to what I'd seen in Big W/Kmart etc. They helped fit it and adjust it which was quite helpful (but it's pretty easy to figure out yourself anyway).

DaLittleEd

I suggest going to a bike store.

Avoid the stack-hat type helmets which are adjusted using padding inserts. They are often much heavier than proper cycling helmets, and small kids have small necks!

Instead look for a helmet with a sizing adjustment at the back (usually a dial) which tightens/loosens a plastic "frame" to fit the head. You also want clasps on the straps under the ears so you can adjust the length of the strap on either side of the ear - this helps with helmet positioning. Super fancy helmets will have a magnet clasp under the chin instead of a clip, which prevents pinching delicate chin skin (ouch).

That said, the most important thing is getting a good fit, I suggest googling how to fit a helmet before going shopping.

Source: I have a long-term bicycle addiction which I am attempting to pass (force?) onto my toddler, plus a safety first motto around helmets.

Disclaimer: getting a good fit can be difficult if you child has an odd (or large) shaped head, and dislikes staying still for a fitting (read starts screaming their head off). Ask me how I know. (Actually, please don't!)

• Like 2

DaLittleEd

There is one brand that has a magnetic clip - great for kids who are scared of getting their skin pinched in the clip - but they're pretty expensive, $100+.

All helmets sold in Australia should meet mandatory standards, so a cheap one from Kmart or wherever will do the trick.

Azur sells a toddler helmet for 47-51cm (ish) with magnetic clip, around $40 at some bike stores. My DD has already grown out of hers.

• Like 1

MessyMumBun

Azur sells a toddler helmet for 47-51cm (ish) with magnetic clip, around $40 at some bike stores. My DD has already grown out of hers.

My 2.5 year old has this one.

DaLittleEd

My 2.5 year old has this one.

Such a great helmet. Our one had dinosaurs on it. DD's new one is not nearly as awesome.

Greatmum

Get a skate type helmet as it protects the back of their head better for scooter riding.

Feral Grey Mare

I really need to wear my glasses more often. I thought this thread title said "Hamlet for 2.5 year old". I was ready to jump in with a scathing reply.

• Like 7

EmmDasher

Our 2 year old started with a Big W cheapie but her head is so big that she outgrew it in 6 months. At 54cm and not wanting to spend a fortune my selection was pretty limited. We ended up with this FreePlay one that I picked up on sale for about $40.http://kidstuff.com.au/fp-helmet-pink-med.html

mandelbrot

I like the bike shop helmets as they are lighter and more comfortable, particularly when you have a child that gets really hot and sweaty!

• Like 1

StartledFlamingo

I might check this out for DD, thanks.

DS has always had a huge head which is why I was looking at the $$ Nutcases but I just can't justify the price.

Helga Hufflepuff

I really need to wear my glasses more often. I thought this thread title said "Hamlet for 2.5 year old". I was ready to jump in with a scathing reply.

Lol! I read it correctly but I thought it might be about a clumsy child. I've often wondered if I can get a helmet for my toddler to wear around the house because she's constantly climbing - and subsequently falling off - random objects.

tarrie cat

Another for going to a bike shop. They'll help you pick the right one for your kid's head. Helmets for kids come in different shapes so if you've got a kid with a big noggin you'll probably need something with a more round shape. Kiddimoto make super cute helmets and aren't as expensive as the extremely nice Nutcases (they're the ones with the magnet clasps - I have one myself).

If you're not going to take your kid with you, make sure you measure their head. My daughter has an enormous noggin- so big I could wear her helmet if I had to!!

JomoMum

DS 3.5 yo wears a helmet from a bike shop. Specialized is the brand. I actually got it for myself but it ended up being just too small for comfort, so went back to upsize my one and the guy fitted it correctly to DS. Thankfully he has a big head and it was a perfect fit.

DS also sweats a lot. And rides his bike a lot. It provides really good ventilation and the straps just fit so well around his head and under his chin.

JomoMum

Get a skate type helmet as it protects the back of their head better for scooter riding.

These often slide around on the head. They also provide little buffer between the head and ground for example as they sit quite flush against the head. If your kid hit the ground face first wearing one of these, they'd lose teeth.

BornToLove

Another vote for visiting a bike shop. DD has always been small for her age and we were able to get a properly fitted helmet for her.

iwanttosleepin

My 2.5 ds has a Netti 'pilot ' one size xs. We got it online. It is 46-53 cm. best fitting toddler helmet we've owned. He needs a good one because he is absolutely fearless on a balance bike!

Chaotic Pogo

Wombats, at that age you are using it for safety. Delicate heads, hard footpaths. We've replaced DDs twice, she's 3.5yo and had some great stacks over the last 2 years.

Nut cases are great but exy. The $40 Azur sounds good, another vote for a bike shop - we started with cheapies and they slide around so much the kids hated it.