gemgirl

Exchanging gifts with friends

gemgirl

Just wondering how other large families handle gift giving with other families - let's say you have 4, 5, 6 kids or whatever, and your friends have 1 or 2 kids - do you all buy gifts of the same value per child ($20 or $30) or do you spend a bit more per child because you have more kids (so they spend $20 each on your four and you spend $40 each on their 2). I KNOW gift giving isn't always about equality or whatever, but you don't want people thinking "we have sooo many kids to buy for!" either. Not keeping me up at night, but something I sometimes think about.

Mrs Claus

We only give gifts if they are having a party and our kids have been invited. Otherwise it gets out of hand. One friend has 4 children, I have 4 and other friend has 5

MissMilla

I usually dont buy by price. I buy what i think they would like the most that exact day. So if i see something awesome for $40 i buy it and maybe i see something equally awesome for their second kid for $10. The next time it might be reversed. Also my friends give my kei ds gifts ranging from $10-$100 depending on what the kids are interested in, how their financial situation is at the moment, something big for the kids to share. If they give us something for $10 and i give much more, i would never think badly of them.. gift giving and receiving shouldnt cause any stress for anyone.

Obviously if i had 1 kid getting $20 gifts each time and my friend had 6 kids and i gave $40 each everytime i would probably drop the price of their gifts after a while. Unless i was really rich and they arent..

notorico

We have 4 kids my friend has 2. For birthdays, my friend and I spend between $80- 100 on each other. The kids all get $50 spent on them. For the older ones it is cash or a gift card so we know the value. I did think about the inequity but to both our families it is not about the money it is remembering each birthday and treating each child equally.

My kids are friends with twins. Every year they are invited to joint birthday parties and we treat each twin as an individual and do the stock standard $30 each. I figure it is no different to that situation.

We also don't buy gifts because we expect an equal amount in return. We buy gifts because we want to.

ljbellus

I spend $30 on a present for the kids who invite my child to their party. Friends kids, no party = no present.

For my nieces and nephews, I spend $40, unless its a milestone birthday, where I spend up to $100. That is per child regardless of how many siblings in one family.

It doesn't have to be exactly that amount, but that is the guide.

I can always find something that the child will love in that price range.

Jenflea

I do it per child.

And i don't worry how much people spend on my only child.

For DD's 2 cousins I spend $50 each child, for my friend's kids, about $20 each child.

For DD's school friends I spend $20 or so, and only if she goes to the party and is actual friends with .

luke's mummu

We don't have any friends with kids that we buy presents for, unless we are invited to a birthday party. But I have 4 nieces and nephews, we always give $20 for their birthday, and they give my kids (2) $20 as well. I think they might spend a little more at Christmas. I'm sure it all evens out in the end, I don't worry about the exact $ value for family.

Tinky Winky Woo

We once had friends who had 4 kids and we had one. She would regift things to our kid, and give me a list of things her kids wanted - none were within our budget. it got very awkward as we just did not have the money to buy what she wanted. She got stroppy with me and told me I was selfish. Hence why we are no longer friends.

Now we have friends but have decided we only exchange gifts if they are having parties. It is easier and more economical.

ClarkeTribe

It depends on the occasion.

If it is for friends's birthday we budget $20-30, though we have a small cupboard of gifts that are a bit over that that I have picked up in that price range on special.

For family at Christmas etc (nephews and nieces) we go much more generously as we only do gifts when we are together (which is every other year at best) so $50-100 is the usual go.

• Like 1