Wango

Introducing solids - adjusted or actual age?

Wango

Hey folks, DS is a 36 weeker (so not super early). What did others do with introducing solids? Current recommendations are to start between 4-6 months should I wait closer to 6 months to take account of his adjusted age?

~Kestrel~

I thought the recommendations were 'around 6, but not before 4 months'? I would be waiting until around 6 months while looking for signs that he is ready.

• Like 2

Caribou

My DD was 36w, her paed was fine with us introducing solids at 4 months actual age, she was on formula though.

Does your DS have a paed?

I should add, we never did the adjusted age thing, with 36w, and being so close to full term, DD hit the milestones as if she was full term baby. Of course every baby is different, but in my case I found that adjusted age thing a bit useless. I get it being used for much more prem babies.

Edited by MadnessCraves

Mooples

Ds was also 36 weeks. Our paed gave the go ahead at 6 months actual age but he didn't really start showing much interest until closer to 7/8 months actual age.

coastlife

We started at 5 months actual on the advice of the Dr - DD was a 27 weeker. Probably took closer to 6 to really get into it.

Riotproof

I was told it's actual, so I think I'd look at all the ordinary readiness signs, like sitting up, no tongue thrust etc.

• Like 2

lucky 2

For healthy babies born at term/greater than 2.5kg at birth, it's around six months, which really means that breast milk has all that is needed till around 6 months. The recommendations don't distinguish btn bf or FF though.

As pp above said, look at sign of readiness and you could offer finger foods to trial.

Adjusted age is probably going to be more reflective of her development but each child is different.

Could you check with your chn?

• Like 1

mandelbrot

I would look for other signs of readiness along with age. I offered 'finger tastes' of foods from around 4.5 months with both my boys. Both of them suddenly started getting really interested in those just before six months. That was my cue to start BLW.

EmmDasher

DD1 was a 35 weeker. Her paed just said to look for signs of readiness as with any other baby. She started solids around 5 months, 4 corrected. I went very slowly though and she only had a very small amount until she was 6 months.

FretfulMum

DS was born at 30wks. Our Paed was just happy for us to start when he showed signs of readiness btwn the age of 4-6mth (able to hold head up, watching us eat/reaching for food). This ended up being 6mths actual/4.5mths corrected. Prior to this DS was fully bf.

Furfeathersfleece

I'd be focusing on signs of readiness. I started my 2 at 4.5 months approximately. It was the right time for them.