Sdsdsdsd

Moving to Newcastle - After some advice please

Sdsdsdsd

Hi,

We are going to be moving to Newcastle with my husbands job and I would love some information on the area.

We are a young family with 1 under 1, and love the easy going beach life style.

We have previously lived in Wollongong and loved the pace of life down there.

We would like to buy in an area which is on the flat, has some cafes and shops, close to schools and ideally walking distance to the beach or has great access to public transport to the beach. We also would love some information on primary schools and catchment areas.

We have looked at Adamstown, carrington, new lambton, Kotara and mayfield online but don't have the local knowledge on these areas. Budget wise up to $800k. Are there any other areas that you would suggest?

My husband is working in Williamstown so ideally no more than a 40min commute.

Thanks in advance, any information is greatly appreciated :)

MeThree

Hi :)

I live in New Lambton, and I love it here. Living close to everything, and you should find something within your budget, towards to upper end.

I grew up in Raymond Terrace, which is where a lot of people working in the Williamtown area lived, along with Medowie. I moved out this way (Adamstown) about 13 years ago, and wouldn't go back. The commute would be far shorter though.

So many lovely places! I'm sure you'll enjoy Newcastle.

causeway

Check out Nelson Bay to the north of Newcastle. Parts of Kotara or Lambton are nice. Carrington and Mayfield are industrial. I grew up in Maitland but its 30-50mins to the beach. Depends on what type of housing you are after. Check out The Hill, Cooks Hill and Bar Beach too.

jayskette

lived in all but carrington. all are great. kotara and new lambton is higher SEQ area. mayfield is a bit like redfern and paddington its reputation is rising. none are in walking distance to beach but kotara would ave the best bus connections.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Hi,

We are going to be moving to Newcastle with my husbands job and I would love some information on the area.

We are a young family with 1 under 1, and love the easy going beach life style.

We have previously lived in Wollongong and loved the pace of life down there.

We would like to buy in an area which is on the flat, has some cafes and shops, close to schools and ideally walking distance to the beach or has great access to public transport to the beach. We also would love some information on primary schools and catchment areas.

We have looked at Adamstown, carrington, new lambton, Kotara and mayfield online but don't have the local knowledge on these areas. Budget wise up to $800k. Are there any other areas that you would suggest?

My husband is working in Williamstown so ideally no more than a 40min commute.

Thanks in advance, any information is greatly appreciated :)

ha ha, hardly anywhere in Newcastle is flat, especially in Newcastle itself.

• Like 2

Taradiddle

lived in all but carrington. all are great. kotara and new lambton is higher SEQ area. mayfield is a bit like redfern and paddington its reputation is rising. none are in walking distance to beach but kotara would ave the best bus connections.

What is SEQ? sorry, I'm tired and can't work it out!

Loore

We are in New Lambton. Where we are its flat, less than 5 minute walk to cafes, some restaurants, pubs, 2 good schools within 5 min walk (although our kids don't go to either of them). About 10 - 15 min drive to the beach, not sure about pubic transport, I don't have a very high opinion of public transport in Newcastle. It's really a nice little community here, we love it.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Public transport in Newcastle isn't great.

Keep in mind big Westfield-type shopping centres are located in Kotara and Charlestown. But supermarkets in smaller shopping centres are all over the place.

Adamstown Heights - central-ish, a lot of it is hilly, in between Charlestown and Kotara

Carrington - not sure if it still does but it used to get plenty of coal dust because it is reasonably close to the coal loading terminals. Has been undergoing rejunvenation over the past 5-10 years, so moving from "working class" to "up and coming". some areas prone to flooding. Generally speaking, not large blocks of land/property, so rare to get a big backyard.

New Lambton - old school suburb, higher socio-economic status, some parts are very hilly but other parts are flat (can be flat enough to flood after heavy storms) some parts are just lovely

Kotara - mostly hilly, close to a major shopping centre which has a lot of buses go through (so probably one of the better suburbs for public transport if you live within 10-15 minutes of the major shopping centre),

Mayfield - one of the original suburbs, so block of land are generally much smaller than other areas, unusual to gte a large backyard but not impossible. Like Carrington, is being gentrified over the last 5-10 years as long-term residents die off and younger families move in. Has it's own shopping precinct, but also only 10 minute drive to Kotara (in good traffic). Agree with PP that it's possibly the "Newtown" of Newcastle, but still not quite like that.

To some extent, it will depend on where you and your DH will work, and also what kind of property are you looking to buy - 3 bedroom workers cottage? a town house? 4 -5 bedroom house? Unit? Are you happy to renovate or would to prefer to buy a place that doesn't need/require much work?

If your DH is working at Williamtown, it takes a good 30 minutes to get there from Kotara if traffic is flowing well. Longer in peak hour.

If you prefer to live closer to Newcastle (ie south of Williamtown) then other suburbs to consider might include North Lambton, Lambton, Waratah, North Lambton and Waratah are close to University, so tend to have more students/uni staff living in those areas.

If $800K is your budget, you'd be very lucky to get a big house in a beach suburb, but you might get a town house or semi-detached if that's what you would prefer. If you move away from the beach suburbs, very possible to get a decent house for $800K or lower.

Agree with others that you could also look at living around Port Stephens area (NE of Williamtown) rather than Newcastle. I wouldn't recommend looking east of Williamtown (ie Raymond Terrace).

If you are wanting to walk to the beach, you won't get much change from $800K and for many of the beach suburbs, that's not enough. However, getting to beaches is easy and there are plenty of car parks at some great beaches Nobbys, Newcastle, Bar Beach and Merewether Beach are the most iconic Newcastle beaches, but Dudly Beach and Redhead Beach are also good (but a little further away from Newcastle central).

The major roads tend to be on the major ridge lines that dissect Newcastle. The suburbs to the east of the Pacific Highway tend to get good sea breezes and as you head further west over ridge lines, the suburbs get hotter. It's very noticeable in summer where there is often a 5-8 degree difference between Lambton/New Lambton and Merewther/Newcastle.

I know people who love living at Lemon Tree Passage and around the Port Stephens area (Nelson Bay, Fingal Bay, Shoal Bay, Salamander Bay). Very easy lifestyle there.

Te other option to to go for the Lake lifestyle (Lake Macquarie) but it would add up to be quite a commute to Williamtown.

Hope that helps.

(edited to correct from Adamstown to Adamstown Heights)

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne

IkeaAddict

Public transport in Newcastle isn't great.

Keep in mind big Westfield-type shopping centres are located in Kotara and Charlestown. But supermarkets in smaller shopping centres are all over the place.

Adamstown - central, a lot of it is hilly, in between Charlestown and Kotara, have

Hope that helps.

Adamstown isn't between Charlestown and Kotara. I live there haha. Adamstown has great bus links as well with a lot of the bus routes either going to Charlestown/lake way or into town. The train line is annoying at the moment as it currently ends at Hamilton then catch a bus into town but I still find buses easier and more direct in that regard. There are some great schools around Adamstown/Kotara/Lambton and you'd get a nice house within your budget. Your budget or around $800K rules out anything nice in Hamilton, Merewether, Cooks Hill areas as well as anything beachy. 4 bedroom modern ready to go houses (ie, no renovations needed) go from aanywhere from 600K to 800K around here. Kotara is a great area but check maps out and try to not go too close to Westfield as parking there and around those areas is a nightmare as they keep expanding without adding new parking areas in the centre. I have a friend who lives 3 blocks from Westfield and she says he street is crazy with the amount of people who park and walk there. Where I am (Adamstown) its close enough to walk to Westfield without the traffic insanity but we do have the dreaded Adamstown train crossing which is notorious. Can be avoided at most times though haha

Soho

Stockton?

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Stockton?

not where I would want to live.

Adamstown isn't between Charlestown and Kotara. I live there haha.

Just realised I was thinking of Adamstown Heights

teaspoon

Take a look at Maryville - some lovely houses super close to everything in the city and the train line.

Loore

Stockton?

Stockton has started to gentrify. The OP would be lucky to find a decent house on the beach side in her budget now. We considered it before we moved to New Lambton, there was a beautiful house (which ended up selling outside of our budget anyway), we liked that we could get to Newcastle by ferry, but the road in/out can be a killer!

I wouldn't live up in Nelson Bay, we spend a fair bit of time up there and love it but for me its too isolated, schooling options are not fantastic, it's quite hilly and with most places up this way the OP probably won't get a decent house within walking distance from the beach for the $$.

Carrington has changed a lot, there's some new cafes, restaurants and other businesses coming into the area. The prices are starting to rise there a lot and mostly the blocks are tiny and so are the houses.

MeThree
the dreaded Adamstown train crossing which is notorious

Ugh, bane of my life! I live just on the NL side, and my DS goes to school on the Adamstown side. I don't breathe a sigh of relief until I'm about 2 car spaces away.

Keep us updated with your decision, OP :)