eleven

First Period post partum

eleven

Hi All, I've just started my first period since Bub was born last April. It's very heavy. Im soaking through a Super tampon AND maternity pad in under 2 hours.

Is this normal? My uterus is cramping and it's just awful basically. Any advice?

rosie28

My first one after both children has been scarily heavy. I've needed medication both times to lessen the bleeding. I was soaking a maternity pad and having it flood in under an hour. Second and subsequent periods have been much better so it might be worth a chat with your GP and wait and see what happens next time.

Suz01

Sounds normal, expect some blood clots also, monitor them with your midwife/GP.

I wouldn't be using a tampon.

opethmum

My first period post partum hurt like hell and was like Niagra Falls, was super icky. They only started getting better 9 months later due to post birth complications. Sorry not trying to freak you out.

I agree with a pp, try and not use tampons, you're still healing and you could irritate the scars.

Maybe get some Thinx period underwear and see how you go on those.

If you feel light headed, excessive cramping or there are excessive clots then see the dr and get some relief and a treatment plan.

Good luck and I hope it gets better for you.

xo

Edited by opethmum

Babetty

I got my first one when DS was 9.5 months too. Can't comment on the tampon question but mine was also much heavier and I was vomiting and had diarrhoea from the pain. Second one 4 weeks later was back to normal.

lizzybirdsworth

I got my first one at 6.5 months and used tampons fine. You should be ok to use them unless a dr says otherwise.

My first was awful. I pretty much stayed in bed the first 3 days was so heavy, lightheaded, pale, in agony. Each one after started to ease up but they weren't regular until I went back on the pill. That also helped with period pain.

Oh and this was baby number 3 .

Edited by lizzybirdsworth

Lou-bags

I got mine back at 11 months post partum after number one (and no sign yet after number two, who is 5 months old).

It was relatively light. Nothing like you've described. But I was still breast feeding, not sure if that makes a difference.

Why no tampon, PP?

I've only ever heard that tampons were not safe to use for post partum lochia due to increased infection risk as the uterus is still healing and as such is somewhat of a 'wound'. But surely months and months post partum it's ok?

• Like 1

Jenflea

I used tampons with no issues for my first period after the baby.

I got mine back (out of the blue, no sore breasts or PMS at ALL) at 10 months. It was a bit heavier, but nothing major.

I don't see why you can't use tampons nearly a year after the birth!

opethmum

Sorry I got my period 3 weeks after lochia during breastfeeding and was healing from forceps and a caesar, so was advised not to have tampons. Did not read her ticker on the bottom. Sorry OP, Tampon away.

TheGreenSheep

My first few periods after babies were very very heavy. Apologies, I'm being graphic, but in my mind it was like a murder scene. It eased off and fell back to normal. I guess I knew what to expect after the next bub.

eleven

Lol! A murder scene sprang to mind for me earlier today also GreenSheep!

eleven

I'm now soaking a Super tampon every 30 mins. Don't know how much sleep I will get tonight! At what point does it become too much ?

Lallalla

I'm not sure at what point it becomes too much but I was about to ask a similar question! I am nearly 9 months post partum and oh dear god it is painful! And heavy (by my standards) and really bright red.

Also this is round 2 for me - it did not go this way last time it was almost the direct opposite, so light it was barely there.

eleven

It's round 2 for me as well. I'm sure it wasn't like this last time. It's almost like a miscarriage without the clots. Yuck .

opethmum

If you feel like it is too much then seek a gp. They may be able to help you out.

Keen as mustard

Think about calling nurse on call if you are concerned about the amount of flow...

opethmum

Get a home dr, 13SICK if you're in sydney metro area or google after hours gp in your area. You could ring through to your GP office and talk to your gp and see what they think about it.

vanilla_bear

Definitely go to the GP. My first period post partum was heavy and painful (but less that what you are describing) and the doc happily wrote me a script which helped a lot the following month.

eleven

I think I'll have to try and get to the doctor. I'm still needing to change a super tampon every 30 minutes. It's been like this since 7pm Wednesday. I'm so tired.

Iwish2016

I realise this was last year...but can I just ask what the medication is that the GP might prescribe or what they might be able to do to assist as suggested to the op?