IamtheMumma

How did you transition to a new childcare?

IamtheMumma

DS currently goes to a good childcare. I like most of the staff. They provide all meals and he is usually happy there. The only times drop off is a problem is if the kids are inside. If they're outside, he runs off to play. Cost is $100/day. Its 5kms away and takes 10 minutes in good traffic. He currently goes 4 days a week.

There is a closer childcare that I wanted him to go into but they don't take under 2s. He's now 2. This childcare is about exploring your environment. They have bridges, trees, sandpits, ponds, vege gardens and so on. They don't provide food and the cost is still $100/day. They have a vacancy for 3 days a week. It is a 5-10min walk away depending on how long you have to wait at the crossing. It is also right next to the school my other kids go to and he'll probably go to that school. We're going to have a look at the campus to see how it feels.

DS can be very clingy and he will cry for the first day or two. Over the xmas holidays, he moved up a room in his current place and the staff were random due to holidays. He would start screaming the moment he got into the car. This only stopped when the staff that he knew came back from holidays. But here's the kicker, I don't have to move him. He is happy there. I just think the other place is better suited to his need to explore (and get into mischief).

Lou-bags

I would tend to value the security and relationships that he has at his current centre over the environment they play in.

• Like 2

Grrrumbles

We have just moved from a centre with all ages to a 2 and overs centre because it is closer to home/school and cheaper. Still provides food but not nappies.

We were able to time it before DD needed to transistion rooms at the old centre. Her group were preparing for transition though so she did do those activities with them and then finished up, had a Christmas break of a few weeks and then started at the new centre.

No major issues. The old centre was a bit "fancier" and the new one a bit more "old school" but DD was going to have to leave the super nurturing baby/little toddler room for a larger group anyway. The timing also fitted as she didnt yet have established friendships so she wasn't missing the children too much.

SeaPrincess

TBH, if you're happy with the current centre, I'd stay there.

I pulled DD out of a centre over a billing issue. She got a 1-hour visit at the new centre, then started on the following Monday. They were so bad with the billing that after they charged me for a week 3 months later, they didn't notice that they refunded me my notice period!