Caribou

How to take up a school skirt.

Caribou

I don't drive and every alterations shop is proving to be a nightmare to reach.

How can I temporarily take up a skirt and drop the length down as she grows? The skirt goes to her ankles but actually only needs to stop below her knees.

I feel dumb but I just can't get how to temporarily take it up without losing fabric. It's very thick pleated tartan skirt.

Help please!

Froyo

To do it without losing fabric you'd need to continue folding the hem allowance over and over itself until you get the desired length. If you're taking it up a lot you could make the hem folds very wide, but it'll still be bulky.

• Like 1

Heather11

Is this for a FYOS school skirt?

If so then I wouldn't take it up the full amount to just below the knee. I would go to mid calf as in my experience all the newies skirts are really long.

As the PP stated, you will just have to continue to fold the skirt up. If only going mid calf it should probably only require folding twice.

Caribou

Yea it's at FYOS skirt. Would I be best sewing it in o using hemming tape? Will hemming tape even hold??

Heather11

I've never personally had much success with hemming tape. The times I used it to hem pants it always comes off.

Edited by Heather11

seayork2002

Sounds crazy and a thought only as I have no idea myself but would velcro strips help???

Lifesgood

My mum did my DD's when she started school. It was floor length when she first put it on :wub:

Mum had to fold it over twice, about 5 inches wide, iron it flat and then hand-stitched it. Over the years she has let it down, it is now at full length and she is starting year 6! Same dress right through school!

• Like 1

Caribou

Thinking hand stitching is the way to go too!

Ironing it is a good point too, would help keep the line flat and beat obviously!

Seriously me

biscuits

Fold to desired length, iron with a hot iron to create a good crease and hand stitch.

Try a search for 'hemming a school skirt' in youtube and you should find plenty of videos.

Good luck!

• Like 1

**Tiger*Filly**

Pleats are not the easiest of things to take up. You need to try and iron them relatively flat before you fold it up. At the most I would do about a 12 cm fold and iron it down well, then another 12 cm fold and iron that down well and pin it. I wouldn't try and take up anymore than that in heavier fabric without cutting some off.

You really then need to sew it by hand using a hemming stitch. This is what I usually do:

http://www.bulbinblue.com/DIY-Craft/techniques-1827-hemming-stitch.deco

When you've finished sewing you'll need to iron the pleats back in using a damp cloth and pressing heavily with iron.

This is assuming the skirt is the same width measurement at the bottom as further up. If it's not you'll need to gather in the bottom a little before you start.

Have you got someone who can help? If you were in Adelaide I'd be happy to :)

• Like 4

Caribou

Thanks Tiger Filly, I am unfortunately in NSW!

I -think- I should be able to get it with all the wonderful advice here, :) I'm quietly cursing boys who only have to have shorts and they are nice and straight and not an ounce pleated. :glare:

Froyo

Have a look on YouTube for tutorials :)

~Kestrel~

Can you buy a smaller skirt? At that length it sounds like it would end up very bulky and not good for active play.

Caribou

Can you buy a smaller skirt? At that length it sounds like it would end up very bulky and not good for active play.

This was the smallest skirt they had! :)

meljbau

An easier way to do it is to undo from the waist and take some up there. That way the pleats aren't altered too much however it won't work if you have to take up a huge amount. (Sorry, I see you want to keep the remaining fabric, however I don't think it's possible to do and still have a skirt that sits nicely if you are talking about folding over so much fabric.) Does the waist need altering too if it is so long?

• Like 1

meljbau

This was the smallest skirt they had! original.gif

Uniform shops will usually take in special orders for kids that don't fit the standard sizes. They don't like it but all children deserve to have a uniform that fits and I had to have an item made for one of mine specially. There is no way a pleated skirt that falls to the ground is going to be altered easily. Ask them to order one to be made in your daughter's size.

• Like 1

Caribou

Melabu -

Can't fold at the waist, it's zipper and button there.

Uniform shop was adamant there were no special sizes or custom ordering unless it was the senior school jacket.

The admin part of the school is not great. But the teachers are fanastic. I just did a quick trial run with DD and looks like I may only need to fold over the hem line once.

Thankfully there's only two skirts to do up!

Heather11

Uniform shops will usually take in special orders for kids that don't fit the standard sizes. They don't like it but all children deserve to have a uniform that fits and I had to have an item made for one of mine specially. There is no way a pleated skirt that falls to the ground is going to be altered easily. Ask them to order one to be made in your daughter's size.

It depends. At $80 a pop I much preferred to have a skirt that DD had till year 4 rather than spend that much every year or two.

Caribou

It depends. At $80 a pop I much preferred to have a skirt that DD had till year 4 rather than spend that much every year or two.

There's that too. The skirt was $100 each. Luckily it's summer and winter uniform. I expect this skirt to last from K-2 at the least.

~Kestrel~

I bought DS size 5 shorts when he started school and they fit for three years. I then bought an 8, then a 10, so three sets. I could have bought a size 6, then a 10, but for something he has to wear five days a week I'd rather pay for the extra size and have a uniform that fits.

Froyo

Yep, shortening it from the waistband would be a lot harder.

TinMan

Sheesh at $100 a skirt I'd be terrified I'd muck it up! I know you said you don't drive- are there any ads on gumtree for people who sew near you? Good luck with your project.

Soontobegran

Sounds crazy and a thought only as I have no idea myself but would velcro strips help???

No.

Soontobegran

Having had 4 girls I am very good at taking up pleated hems.......if you live near me OP I will do them for you.

Green Sage

Are you close to a Dry cleaners? Before sewing I would tack it at the right length then get it pressed at a dry cleaners, then do the final stitching. They always get a much sharper pleat than i can do at home and dont charge much if it's just for a press and not a clean.