Sign in to follow this  
KwaziiCat

How long for worming tablets to work

KwaziiCat

My 5 year old DS has worms, for two nights he's been hysterical and last night I made a late night dash to the pharmacy to grab treatment once I realised he had worms!

He's just woken up and had a little toileting accident while sleeping (not usual for him). We gave him a shower and I've just had a look and I can still see live worms.

He's absolutely distraught with discomfort. I have no idea how to help him. Can anyone tell me how long after taking treatment that the itching stops? It's been just over 24 hours since he took his tablet.

Thanks

Mistletoe Kisses

From the child and youth health website

• Threadworm treatments are swallowed and mostly remain within the gut, passing along with other gut contents.
  • By the time the treatment has passed fully through the gut it will have killed the worms in the gut (this usually takes from 1 to 4 days).
  • Itching around the anus will often last longer (even when there are no worms left), because the skin around the anus has been irritated by the worms. Continue using the soothing creams.

Cheesy Sanga

I've found that the first 24 hours are the worst, I guess the worms are fighting against the treatment? It gets better after the first 24 hours.

Make sure that everyone in the family takes the treatment.

Manicmum

What soothing creams??

Panadol helps, at least for my girl.

KwaziiCat

I've just put a bit of vaseline on the area in the hope of soothing it but he's still upset. I am hoping this is the worst of it and tomorrow night is better.

I've just read online that nurofen apparently helps? Something to do with the anti inflammatory so wondering whether I should give him some.

And yes we've all had the treatment!

causeway

I found that a reasonably thick layer of sudocreme does the trick too!

• Like 1

KwaziiCat

Well he finally fell asleep at midnight after much screaming! Thankfully he didn't wake his younger brother up!

Vaseline didn't seem to help so I might try sudocreme tonight if we have a repeat performance.

Now to do lots of washing and cleaning today!

Thanks all

Manicmum

I was told by a medical person that kids that bit their nails gets worms and those that pick their nose get impetigo.... Certainly is true here.

Panadol/nurofen for relief!

KwaziiCat

We don't have a nail biter but I have to keep reminding him of washing hands hygiene. I am hoping this incident will encourage him to think about proper hygiene rather than just his mum nagging him!!

Thankfully younger DS doesn't seem to have them (have wormed him too though).

Will also try nurofen tonight if no improvement

Bearynice

There are different kinds of worm treatment too. Some types only treat one type of worm, other treatments kill a range

Warm baths help too

We switched to foam hand soap for our slack hand hygiene child. Worked a treat

IkeaAddict

I was told by a medical person that kids that bit their nails gets worms and those that pick their nose get impetigo.... Certainly is true here.

Panadol/nurofen for relief!

DS bites his nails and picks his nose and fortunately he hasn't got either of those yet. He is fastidious about washing his hands though

Franny and Zooey

Why not just give him nurofen if he is that upset? It won't hurt and willl probably help a lot.

Mistletoe Kisses

Another option might be proctosedyl. Its got a local anaesthetic aswell as hydrocortisone to stop the itching.