Sign in to follow this  
Greatmum

Sewing machine for 12 yo

Greatmum

Looking for machine for DD she is 12 yo she has been using an old one we have so has sewed a little.

What machine or price or brand would b best??

Is a $99 one ok while she is learning or is it better to pay more?? Any specific models you could recommend?

And where to buy from? Spotlight??

heffalumpsnwoozles

I like Janome. There's a reason it's one of the most popular brands. My mum has owned one forever, it's not a fancy one, it just works. I just got mine this year (had a Singer before that, which was fine but it had a toddler/table incident and wasn't fine any more) and am very happy with it. Mechanical machines are much cheaper than computerised and perfectly adequate for a learner. The biggest difference at higher price points will be better build quality and the ability to deal with tougher fabrics.

I wouldn't buy from Spotlight. I don't think they even sell Janome. You get better service at a smaller store and some of them even offer a free lesson to show all the functions of the machine. You will find the prices are competitive too.

• Like 1

causeway

I bought an Elna from Spotlight. It was very cheap & I've had no probs with it!

greenthumbs

Love my janome. I've put it through heaps and it just keeps going. It's not computerised at all and is so simple to work. It's at least 15yrs old and has never missed a beat.

chickendrumstick

My mum has had her Janome for over 30 years and bought be a Janome for my 21st, which I've never had a problem with.

born.a.girl

How funny is this. I got (half) a sewing machine for my 21st, pretty much the bottom end, price wise. 1973, $99

AnotherFeral

I bought my 10yo a vintage (~1950s) Singer. It's a collectible model with quite a lot of features and all metal so very durable. It was $95 including a service to get it running smoothly. DD is really happy with it, but I did do some research on vintage machines for quite a while first.

If you'd rather a newer machine, I agree that mechanical Janomes are great. Make sure it has adjustable needle position. Speed control is really nice for beginners though not strictly necessary.

Go to a local Janome dealer and see what they can offer you. Usually they'll stock other brands too - Bernina and Pfaff are good but more $$$, but sometimes they will have used/reconditioned machines on offer. Personally I think a high quality second hand machine in good shape is better value than a new cheap machine, but preference comes into it too.

EmmDasher

I have the very basic Janome machine - I think it was around the $150-199 mark. I've had it for about 10 years and it's been serviced once and is still going strong. It does everything I need as a novice sewer and for round the house projects. I don't need anything fancier.

skylark

Basic Janome is the way to go. I learnt on an antique singer but then had my mum's old late 70s Janome and it was fantastic and did everything I needed until it died in 2008. I took it to a little old man who repairs sewing machines from his garage but even he couldn't get it going again, but after 30 years I reckon that's ok.

hills mum bec

I have a Brother that I bought from Myer a few years ago for $189 & my DD12 uses it a lot more than I do.

foom

I'd go a basic Janome but spend more than $99, especially if it is from a speciality shop that will happily give her some free lessons to learn about the machine.

Feral Grey Mare

My mum has had her Janome for over 30 years and bought be a Janome for my 21st, which I've never had a problem with.

How funny is this. I got (half) a sewing machine for my 21st, pretty much the bottom end, price wise. 1973, $99

Another 21st birthday Janome here! It was 1981 and it is still trundling away beautifully. Had it serviced for the first time 4 years ago. I wish sewing machines had odometers on them!

AnotherFeral

I wish sewing machines had odometers on them!

At least some of the computerised ones have stitch counters, but I doubt the motherboards or other delicate parts would last 35 years!