Sign in to follow this  
Bono25

Am I always going to have pain in my c-section scar?

Bono25

Hi. I had an elective c-section 5 weeks ago. I've noticed alot of Facebook posts lately of people who still have pain in their scars more than 6 months after the surgery.

I'm still having done pain in my left, which in guessing it's where they tied off the stitches, and my abdomen hurts when I stand up from the coach and stuff. Which I expect, but is it ever going to get better or am I going to be in pain forever??

VVV

Hi kiarra67,

I had a c-section 6 months ago and my scar does not hurt at all. I distinctly remember the pain easing off at about 6 weeks. If the pain is not easing or is getting worse I would suggest making an appointment with your Dr.

• Like 2

Lallalla

That sounds pretty normal for 5 weeks out to me. It does settle down and hurt less and less but you will get ongoing twinges and itches. Some peoples take longer to settle and some get more twinges than others. I have had 2 c-sections and found I healed differently with them both (noting I am only 6 months on from 2nd so hoping it gets a bit better, my jeans still aggravate it at the end of the day sometimes). I think the least expected part of it for me was how much the scar stung when I was pregnant the 2nd time, but I did have twins so my skin was stretching at a ridiculous rate.

PocketIcikleflakes

5 weeks pp that's quite common but it's worth discussing at your 6week check.

Get yourself to a physio if you have any concerns that the Dr doesn't cover though, I've had most help with recovery from physios. (I get a bee in my bonnet about this, I think every new mum should be referred to a physio for a check and info session as standard but you usually have to ask)

• Like 1

Soontobegran

It would be unusual to have notable pain in a C/S scar 6 months post op.

There might be some stretching pain, a little nerve pain, even some numbness but long term pain that is interrupting your life needs to be discussed with your doctor.

Most women are comfortable in 3 weeks and have very little pain at 6 weeks if everything has healed well.

If your pain is not easing discuss this at your 6 week check.....there could be a haematoma or a stitch abscess.

Good luck.

Bono25

Thanks everyone :-)

Yeah, I expect pain now, just doesn't seem to be getting better. I'll talk to my Dr in a couple of weeks, and plan on seeing a physio to work on my pelvic floor. I had bad spot while I was pregnant, so need to work on that anyway. I was very surprised not have been referred to a physio when I was discharged!

Caribou

Is it hot to touch? If so give your OB a call to ensure there's no infection. Otherwise it's possible you're over doing it with scar and it's taking longer to heal.

Mine was like a bruise for weeks. It was tender after six weeks but no pain by then. Just tender. Pain was fully gone by 8 weeks?

EvesCristina

Edited by EvesCristina
  • Like 1

c.sanders

My 3rd one has also been more painful and has taken longer. I still have twinges when i get up or do too much. I was also in a very negative place overall. Inlaws, 3rd baby in such a short time, issues with dh. Ds2 was a rainbow baby so my mindset was very different to my 3rd one. Ds1 everything hurt a lot..I was paranoid about every extra twinge...but again...that was my mindset and because I was so traumatized by having an emergency c-section. I'm not saying this is you. Just that each of mine were different experiences.

Anyway...in my mums case they actually cut a nerve and she had a lot of pain for a year until they operated again and fixed it.

It is major surgery and a huge trauma to your body.

So it really depends on you. But I would take it seriously as well..monitor how you feel. If it's hard to manage that is worrying.

• Like 1

a letter to Elise.

5 weeks is not very long. I would say it took me a good 4-5 months to be pain free after my first. The worst was probably the first 7-8 weeks, and then it was tender, and felt a bit odd.

Second time was faster. About 5-6 weeks and I saw a big improvement.

Lallalla

Oh yeah, I forgot that part of the reason I was slower to heal this time was because taking it easy and only lifting 1 newborn at most was not an option with twins and a 22 month old. I still think people heal at different rates and differently with different pregnancies. One of my sisters seems to just have a crappy scar, nothing specifically wrong it just didn't heal well

Bono25

Thanks everyone :-)

Yeah, I expect pain now, just doesn't seem to be getting better. I'll talk to my Dr in a couple of weeks, and plan on seeing a physio to work on my pelvic floor. I had bad spot while I was pregnant, so need to work on that anyway. I was very surprised not have been referred to a physio when I was discharged!