Hummingbird82

Going to England to support my sister whose partner has been diagnosed with advanced cancer

Hummingbird82

Hi everyone,

My sister has been with her boyfriend for 6 years and they have just found out he has advanced cancer. They are in their late 20s and this has all happened in the last two weeks. The cancer is not treatable and the drs said he is expected to live for 12 months. He is starting chemo in 2 weeks time. That's all I know.

I am heading over to the uk with my five year old son in the next two weeks to be there for her. We plan on staying until the end of Jan when DS starts school here.

She is currently living with her boyfriend near his family about 2 hours from London. I plan on spending the first week or so in London near my Mum. I feel I can provide more support if I am physically near her and think staying near them in an Air bnb would be best. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences about how I can best provide support. I don't want to impose or force myself onto them, but feel I should be nearby so that i can provide some practical support. I'm at a bit of a loss about what I can do and feel very helpless right now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thank you.

Edited by Pho Therapy

Lunafreya

I think one of the best things you can do is keep hee household running so she can spend time with her partner and not worry about Day to day stuff.

And a lot of listening. She's going to go through so much she may not be comfortable sharing with her partner.

That's what I'd be doing.

Hummingbird82

Thank you Masahiro Tanaka - she's just told me she would rather I stay near our mum in London than be near her. I'll do whatever she wants. I just think I may be too far away in London to provide practical support. I'll be guided by her though.