Sign in to follow this  
Tell5504

VBAC Statistics

Tell5504

Does anyone have any links to research or statistics on VBAC success rates? Particularly those that break down into reason for first c-section and subsequent VBAC rates? I am wanting to get as much information as possible before deciding whether to attempt a VBAC or not. Thanks!

merleauponty

The last Australian Government stats I saw were from 2011 (I think).

In the report 'australian mothers and their babies'.

The repeat c/s rate then was 84 per cent but the report didn't break it down, I couldn't tell how many were elective repeats and how many were attempted VBACs.

I was considering this issue myself at one point hence the attention.

There is a newer report, from 2014, I can't link on my phone but google australian mothers and babies. Perhaps there has been some change since 2011.

PocketIcikleflakes

Off the top of my head of the women who actually go into labour as a vbac about 75-80% give birth vaginally. The trickiest part is getting support in the first place, which is a huge struggle for many women wanting vbac.

The Facebook group VBAC Australia Support Group has a wealth of members who can link reputable research and stat's for vbac and the less widely discussed risks of multiple c section. They are pro vbac except in a few circumstances rather than a 'c section vs vbac ' group so it's worth bearing that in mind if you join.

Veritas Vinum Arte

I found this study a good read when working out my relative chance of VBAC.

I worked out my chances at around 15% which both my GP and OB agreed with.

https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/gtg_45.pdf

ETA it has changed slightly since I read it back in 2007. Back then there were more items listed as being contradictory to successful VBAC and I had many of those ticked.

Edited by VeritasVinum

Tell5504

Thanks, I've requested to join that FB group pocketferal. Thanks for the article Veratas, an interesting read so far!

Veritas Vinum Arte

As I said I found the British guide handy as it gave stats on different situations.

I also felt it was probably the least bias information when I was researching for myself.

As I said my individual pregnancy had things which contradicted a successful VBAC, so personally found it helpful to come to a decision myself.

If I FSD not had those contradictory items I would have tried for VBAC.