JustMyGirl

What type of dance activity for a 5-6 year old?

JustMyGirl

DD is in FYOS this year and the only activity we have been doing is swimming. I think next year she will be ready for more. She will be nearly 6 then.

She has lately shown a lot of interest in dancing, putting music on and dancing in our lounge room miming the lyrics. She also loved the school concert where her class got to do a group dance.

We did ballet when she was 4, it was ok but I don't think it's really her thing.

How do I find something that is age appropriate, not too focused on outfits/make-up/looks, with appropriate dance moves etc? What style of dancing fits the bill?

If anyone has recommendations for places in Melbourne inner North, please PM me.

FearsomeFeralFreak

What sort of music does she like dancing to?

The music she enjoys could direct you into what sort of dancing she will enjoy.

If its current music I'd be looking at jazz, contemporary or hip hop. A lot of schools will let you try different classes for free, I'd find out what suits her best that way.

hills mum bec

Any style of dance can be taught in an age appropriate way, the key is finding the right dance school. At that age my DD was doing ballet, Jazz & tap at a great dance school that catered to all ages without the focus on makeup and costumes. If you are in Adelaide I can recommend it.

• Like 1

Wahwah

There's dance schools in Clifton Hill, Northcote and Thornbury which offer creative or contemporary dance. Don't know the names of them but I know I looked into it a few years ago.

My DD went to a creative dance school in Carlton until 5, but that was almost too unstructured for her. Google it - definitely not sparkles and tutus and they offer a few classes for primary school age.

As a PP said, a lot of places will let you do a free trial.

BeAwesome

My 8 year old does musical theater (singing/dancing/acting), and my nearly 5 year old does creative movement (combined ballet/jazz dance) and she also just started cheerleading.

Bendersmum

I did BJP Physie from when I was 3ish until I was about 20. My sister is still really into it now. We're from NSW but I think there are clubs in Melbourne.

It's not too costume/makeup oriented and a mix of ballet, jazz and aerobic type dancing and no moves that I would deem to be age inappropriate - ie no sexy/stripper moves! There is a little bit of old school marching thrown into the mix as well.

I think the physie year runs from late Jan/early Feb until about Oct/Nov.

A word of warning though - physie caters for girls and ladies and you might find a bit of pressure on yourself to join if you sign her up!

ladyjadie

Have a look at Glittery Tapping Wonderland in Northcote. All about making dancing fun and age appropriate, not competitive, no revealing costumes. They have various different classes.

I've also heard good things about Lieto creative dance in North Fitzroy.

born.a.girl

Our daughter did ballet, tap, jazz and contemporary all at the same school. Not at six, obviously, she only did the four different ones when she was around start of secondary level, and even then, only because she was able to do two in a row, two nights a week, so manageable in other ways.

Jazz and tap were certainly more fun for her. Which six year old doesn't like making a racket!?!?

I think any sort of movement classes are good for all kids.

HRH Countrymel

Do you have circus schools in your area?

All the little girls I know LOVE circus school.

And it has the advantage of being a non-competitive, non gendered, non sexualised activity that you can do from tiny and for the rest of your life.

My friend's daughter was just in a big performance with her school a few weeks back, it was actually GENUINELY entertaining!

And she was so proud of herself.

• Like 1

catkin

Another vote for tap. There are some very girly Shirley temple style schools around, but also more unisex 'tap dogs' and other styles. I've taught swing dancing, and for my 5yo made the decision to set her up with dance skills that are versatile and long-lasting. She can tap alone, with any number group, to any music style, without special equipment (much of it is without tap shoes) and eventually transfer those skills to other dance styles (including nightclubs, etc).

Hard for me to see where the more traditional ballet and calisthenics lead to unless you do it very seriously forever...

ali-song

Look up Yellow Dance Spot - you've basically described their program (age appropriate and makeup free).

.Jerry.

My daughter started Musical Theatre at that age. Covered jazz, singing, dancing.

Then added tap and ballet (and now added acro).

We are not in Vic, but I think choosing a smallish dance school you often avoid the ultra-fancy-dance school stuff that influences costumes / competitiveness / makeup.

The concert for our small dance school is a full-length musical, so there are no skimpy costumes (e.g. last year we did Annie, this year Snow White).

Great for those kids that love performing.